Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree except where the edit is to correct a typo

There is a risk that a member 'agrees' with an unedited comment only to find later that the comment has been edited to express further thoughts that the member no longer agrees with. I will edit for typos and still add that reason for editing.

Reactions: Ultramum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a risk that a member 'agrees' with an unedited comment only to find later that the comment has been edited to express further thoughts that the member no longer agrees with. I will edit for typos and still add that reason for editing.

And also posts can be edited to remove sentences, at any time thereafter.

Reactions: Guzzler

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that when members 'edit to add' to their posts that they should make that clear but then that is just a matter of opinion, I suppose.

I agree, but: mea culpa (sometimes). Will do better.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I agree, but: mea culpa (sometimes). Will do better.

I think it is just a matter of courtesy but this is just my own opinion which counts for little in the great scheme of things.

Reactions: Grateful

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to assume that if theres an agree button and someone has pressed it, then that is because they agree with the point being made and have nothing new they want to bring to the discussion. The sort of thread trails where I think using the agree button would be more appeopriate is where people are simplyrepeating what someone else has already said i.e the ones that go “ I do / did x and it really works well” followed by someone else coming in with “ I do / did x too and ir really works / worked for me too” ad nauseum. I have mostly seen those kind of trails where someone has questioned x or suggested y which is where it comes across as an attempt / an end result of drowing people out or starting a sometimes unpleasant, always adversarial dynamic

I think in a new person thread, having as many people chime in as possible with messages of support along the lines of , welcome, I succeeded and so can you, then great. If those succeeding have got the details of how they define success in their signatures then so much the better. At that stage the person involved has no idea of how extensive the discussions are, and they will choose in due course how involved they get. Just pressing agree isn't all that meaningful to that new person, who is often focussed entirely on his/ her thread. Slightly different if we are discussing concepts where there are two or three options and one is simply reiterating a previously expressed viewpoint to give it more legs.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know how a forum would work that only allowed support and no advice for newbies
I don't think anyone has suggested a forum with no advice at all The original OP thread was that we should get to know newbies first and give them support with a virtual hug to say "you are not alone" when they are feeling they are the only ones with diabetes not straight away drown them in dietary and blood testing advice. I will stick my neck out again and say no one should start a drastic diet that's low carb and high fat especially if until then they have been eating a normal carb diet just on the say so here without finding out if it will be suitable for them and they certainly should given other conditions they may have but I do not expect a lot to agree with me

Last edited:

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that when members 'edit to add' to their posts that they should make that clear but then that is just a matter of opinion, I suppose.

I had to press send this morning because my i pad wouldn't show anymore typing so I had to press reply and then go back and finish the sentence in an edit.

I quite frequently read back my posts and have to edit them because I've left a word out or to clarify something.

I've just had to edit this because I wrote they've instead of I've and now I'm typing out this long winded explanation. Can I please be excused from having to write that I've edited my posts 'cause I shall to do it everytime. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a button for "More Options..." and when you click on that, you get an option to "Preview" your post in exactly the same format that it will appear in the forum. I find that when I take the time to Preview the post, I am less likely to leave stuff out or perpetrate typos/grammar errors. I really should do it more often! (I'm doing it on this post!)

Reactions: Struma

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a button for "More Options..." and when you click on that, you get an option to "Preview" your post in exactly the same format that it will appear in the forum. I find that when I take the time to Preview the post, I am less likely to leave stuff out or perpetrate typos/grammar errors. I really should do it more often! (I'm doing it on this post!)

My problem is that I write replies and don't post them more than I post them. So I kind of have to get it over with, a sort of post or be damned. If I think about it too much then I'll just not post at all. I work on the principle that someone else will write what I would but in a better way. I also often just delete a post after I've posted it because it's superfluous.

I'll try your suggestion though.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I had to press send this morning because my i pad wouldn't show anymore typing so I had to press reply and then go back and finish the sentence in an edit.

I quite frequently read back my posts and have to edit them because I've left a word out or to clarify something.

I've just had to edit this because I wrote they've instead of I've and now I'm typing out this long winded explanation. Can I please be excused from having to write that I've edited my posts 'cause I shall to do it everytime. Thank you.

'Edit to add' is slightly different, though. A post can be edited to change the whole nature of the comment, to omit clarification in this instance *could* influence future readers if they care to take into account the number of 'agrees' that comment has elicited. As far as editing for typos or for grammatical errors goes then that is far less important. I often edit for those but it is my own personal preference to put in the comment that editing has been done.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@woodywhippet61 Don't forget when you are posting you are giving your thoughts and opinions it little matters if some one has posted much the same before or after you as only you can speak for you, so if you have something you wish to say then say it.:).

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
See how easy things get mis-concieved?

If the reader sees malice who is the malicious one?

All I'm asking is for people to not assume we are all the same.
We are not.

I like diversity. That's what makes the world interesting. I accept ever posters view but don't like heavy tactics, never have.

Maybe everyone should acceot bullying happens everywhere.
Why would this forum be any different.

Its how the perception of bulling leaves its victim.
I hope no posters feels bullied by me. I'd be horrified and apologise profusely, however stopping bad habits in its tracks, isn't bullying. Especially bad habits which have turned so many members away.
As they would be perceived the bully if the elephant in the room was requested to be talked about.
No subject should be taboo. No secrets or fear or speeching out.

Don't make me feel I'm the bully for opening a wound which needs fixing not a sticky plaster. Incase someone gets upset.
It is an upsetting subject. Not feeling free to post incase bombastered down.

An attack.

Absolutely. The funny thing is that both parties in a discussion can feel that they are the reasonable voice and it is the other person who is the bully.

Can both be right? In my opinion two people can both behave badly whilst thinking they are perfectly right and justified, and it is everyone else who is the bully. Thats w
I tend to assume that if theres an agree button and someone has pressed it, then that is because they agree with the point being made and have nothing new they want to bring to the discussion. The sort of thread trails where I think using the agree button would be more appeopriate is where people are simplyrepeating what someone else has already said i.e the ones that go “ I do / did x and it really works well” followed by someone else coming in with “ I do / did x too and ir really works / worked for me too” ad nauseum. I have mostly seen those kind of trails where someone has questioned x or suggested y which is where it comes across as an attempt / an end result of drowing people out or starting a sometimes unpleasant, always adversarial dynamic

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Absolutely. The funny thing is that both parties in a discussion can feel that they are the reasonable voice and it is the other person who is the bully.

Can both be right? In my opinion two people can both behave badly whilst thinking they are perfectly right and justified, and it is everyone else who is the bully. Thats w

No idea what happened here. The reply and post is all over the place!!!!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To put the thread back in topic.
Yes we should be thoughtful about the fact, we are all different!
Thank you, and I apologise for jumping to conclusions and over reacting. I hope I havent upset you. I respect you and all you are dealing with, all you have achieved, and your willingness to share to help others.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2

When I was new I found the posts that repeated the same thing ad nauseum very reassuring. We are all different.

Reactions: Robbity

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

at the bottom of posts, next to the posters name, I can see if it has been edited as there is an 'edited at...' with the date and time on. But it doesnt say what has been edited.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
at the bottom of posts, next to the posters name, I can see if it has been edited as there is an 'edited at...' with the date and time on. But it doesnt say what has been edited.

On some other forum sites that I frequent, you cannot edit a post without typing in a reason. But of course that does not stop people typing in something totally uninformative....

BTW @lucylocket61, I can think of at least one recent "newbie thread" of interest. It was someone posting to discuss her husband, who was in his mid-40s, overweight, and very exercise-limited because of rheumatoid arthritis. She was ready for them to make lifestyle changes but "only after Christmas/New Year." At which point several people, including (fairly gently) myself, suggested that waiting that long was not a good idea.

I thought about that later. What is more important, doing it now, or -- even with a two-month delay -- doing it right? Some people really might need that delay to get their ducks in a row. Me? It wouldn't work at all, it would just be kicking the can down the road. (Mixed metaphor, ducks-in-a-row getting hit by kicked cans, but you know what I mean.)