Mum of newly diagnosed 8 year old

Dazzlergirl

Hi. Just home from the hospital where we've spent the last couple of days and found out my daughter is type 1. It's a complete shock and feel overwhelmed and daunted by what's ahead of us. Thankfully my husband not iced her symptoms- tiredness, drinking lots and going to the toilet all the time and we got her to the GP quickly who sent us to the hospital so she has only needed to be in hospital for two days while we got her levels under control and had all the education. Any advice about how to make this as easy as possible are welcome. Thanks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I'm sure it was a shock. Do ask any questions you may have as there are many insulin users on the forum including myself. There is also a parents and children's forum so look for those in the forums list. Children are amazing and hopefully your daughter will soon learn to check her blood sugar and also do the injections at a future point. To avoid too many blood sugar under and over-shoots to start with, try to smooth carb consumption during the day and avoid excessive carb intake.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Dazzlergirl :)

Sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis. As you've probably noticed, we have a Parents section here so hopefully you can see you're not alone and there is help and support available from other parents of Type 1 children.

You can also check out the Type 1 section for general advice and help. I'm sure you'll have lots of questions in the coming months. Type 1 takes a while to get used to.

My top tips as a Type 1 are to test lots, to count carbs and to keep records of things like how,your daughter's blood sugar is after certain meals or what adjustments work for exercise, etc, etc

There's a lot to,take in so pace yourself. It does get easier as you learn more :)

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,

My daughter was diagnosed in February this year and it was also a complete shock to us all.

It's definitely been a steep learning curve for all involved, my husband often says its like having a baby in the house again!

This forum has been a godsend for me personally, any question I've had there's always someone that's had similar experiences or able to offer support and advice.

Take things one day at a time and feel free to ask any questions that you have

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's definitely been a steep learning curve for all involved, my husband often says its like having a baby in the house again!

...Though, I hope not within earshot of yer kid. ;)

Dazzlergirl

Thanks everyone. It's definitely been a lot to take in. My daughter seemed to be going okay with it all until last night when she finally broke down and cried her heart out saying she didn't want the injections and she wanted to be normal again. Was so awful-would do anything yo take that away from her.
On a positive note we are managing okay, am testing lots and managing diet well so she's been fairly stable with levels. So much to learn still and nervous about back to school time and how that will go...

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thanks everyone. It's definitely been a lot to take in. My daughter seemed to be going okay with it all until last night when she finally broke down and cried her heart out saying she didn't want the injections and she wanted to be normal again. Was so awful-would do anything yo take that away from her.
On a positive note we are managing okay, am testing lots and managing diet well so she's been fairly stable with levels. So much to learn still and nervous about back to school time and how that will go...
am not sure if this will be a help or not ...... i was diagnosed at age 14 and pretty much cried my eyes out for about 6 months
one of the things i was given to assist with the adjusting is this link http://psychcentral.com/lib/the-5-stages-of-loss-and-grief/
living with a chronic condition is much similar to this and is worth noting for the future if things become strained
also .... just know you are not alone
xx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
am not sure if this will be a help or not ...... i was diagnosed at age 14 and pretty much cried my eyes out for about 6 months

Wow, it's interesting how one perceives things within the family dynamics.. At the age of 7/8 I saw it as a sort of "rite of passage"?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi, with regards to going back to school you should be able to go in and educate the staff or your diabetes nurse might.

I know your daughter is only young but when I was her age my mam gave me certain things to do myself so I could learn the responsibility of looking after the diabetes and knowing how important it was to do so.

I hope you're all managing ok, as long as you are testing lots and keeping an eye on what she is eating you will soon get the hang of it, sounds like you're doing fab so far! :)

Reactions: 2 people