My low carb/IF Diet - BG and progress

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers Clive. I finished Bernstein's book. I didn't find it too informative as I've learned so much from being on here but he's very inspiring. Loving his work! How have you been? X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Yes ,very busy,just finished a tour of coastal sussex,nr alfreston,with 13 german ladies, going all round nt gardens, so day off today and sunday,keeping my weight down ,and my bs's are now regularly 3.8 fasting and no higher than 6.2 after dinner....but still keeping a tight control on lchf and portion sizes .
Be encouraged by your results so far and you know you can get into a good place with the help and support our fellow posters give us,

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The like button has disappeared!! I'm a Sussex girl (or was til I moved up to London!) hope they treated you well.

I'm so jealous of your bg! Maybe this time next year I'll be catching you up . Went swimming today and am exhausted...!

Make sure you get some relaxing time too!
X

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Hi!

I'm still following the LCHF way of life and the kilos are coming off. People have started to notice and I'm feeling way more positive.

Bg is still around 6.5 which is really soul destroying as I'm doing everything right. I decided to read Jason Fung's book and although I'm only 80 pages in, I was shocked and relieved to see that gabapentin (a drug prescribed for my disc pain) is a known insulin riser and therefore unhelpful for weight loss. I've weaned myself off it and have been 'clean' for nearly two weeks. Not sure how long detox takes for it but I'm not going back on it. So as far as I'm aware, none of my prescription meds are weight gain triggers....

Stress apparently is a cortisol trigger which increases weight gain. So I'm trying to get at least 7 hours a night. So far so good and I'm tracking sleep pattern with a Fitbit type thing (although mine is a cheap version).

Now on to exercise....I'm actively walking most days and taking my friend's dogs for walks and I'm starting to feel stronger inside myself. It's an amazing stress reliever. I also decided enough was enough and started weight lifting again on arms. Nothing too crazy - just 3kg weights to tone. The great news here is that a few weeks in, I'm back at normal lean tissue % of weight.

And remember those nasty scales I treated myself to for me 40th? Well I'm now at the ripe age of 49 in terms of fitness - so that's two years off. 9 more to go but that's progress!

Work has been awful - had to reapply for my job - interview, assessments, observations and written statements - I'll find out on Wednesday if I'm keeping my job. It's really affected me more than I realised so I'll be glad when that's done.

My water intake still needs work but I'm averaging 1.5-2 litres a day. Hardly drinking Coke these days. Still crave it but it's a treat thing....

I think that's about everything. I've been lurking but not been actively posting.

I'm feeling positive and can't wait to be more successful. I highly recommend Jason's book. It's finally shown me that I'm not a failure and that science has been against me. I was shocked when I tipped the scales and could never quite believe I'd been that bad. Now I know that years of medication has done me no favours and I'm not entirely to blame. Now I know I can win this game!

Hope you're all swell....
Deb xxx

What a truly terrific turn around. You must be so proud of yourself and generally feeling good. A big kicker for me was when I read the detail behind intermittent fasting in Jason's book. I added it to my weekly routine 6 weeks ago and it's driven down my levels. :)!

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Consistency is what I lack in life but this time I'm doing ok. This week hasn't been good exercise-wise but I'll try to get some more walking in now it's half term. Kids won't be impressed as they are lazy ....

I am also hoping to get more reading done as I never have enough time. It's taken about a month to read 90 pages!!!!

Got some really good news yesterday - work has agreed to give me another year's contract so I don't have to worry about work for now. Phew! In hindsight it was good for me to go through their stressful process as its reminded me just how brilliant I am

Reactions: 6 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read about artificial sweeteners in Fung's book. I think that's the next thing I need to tackle. I could definitely do better on this score....

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read about artificial sweeteners in Fung's book. I think that's the next thing I need to tackle. I could definitely do better on this score....

I kind of shillyshally on the sweetener thing.
Having had reactions to artificial sweeteners for years (headaches, insomnia, water retention and foul taste in mouth), I was delighted to find that my body does OK with xylitol and erythritol. So I use them sparingly. Have one tsp erythritol in my morning coffee, for example.

When I read Fung's blanket comments on sweeteners I decided to agree with him in every respect, on the understanding that the less chemically, less synthetic ones are the lesser of many evils, and I continue to use erythritol in v small amounts.

I guess we all pick and choose the advice we want to take. lol.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe longer term I'll have them sparingly but I REALLY want to lose weight and reduce bg so I think I need to do more...

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Right! I finished the book. I'm now going to fast 3 times a week. I start tomorrow.....

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just watched this and feeling very determined.

I'm starting a log book to track progress. I'm an hour - so far so good .

Let's see what fasting does to my evil scales.....

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I've just looked on Amazon but there are several titles by Jason Fung.

Which was the book that you mentioned re the fasting?

thanks

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's called The Obesity Code x

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I seriously need some motivation. . Recorded all my vital stats to mark the new IF routine and I can't help but feel down in the dumps about how little I've really achieved. I want to be positive and not look back but it's hard with the evil scales' feedback staring me in the face. I've taken all my readings and recorded them in my IF review book so I can compare.

I know we have to start somewhere but I have sabotaged myself too many times. I'm praying IF with LCHF makes a difference. I wish I didn't like food so much and I although I want to move myself more, I look at myself and can't help but feel down....

Hate feeling like this x

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good book.

I do a 42 hour every week from 7pm Monday night after dinner until 1pm Wed when I enjoy a brunch brekkie.

Most days I fast from dinner at 7pm until lunch at 1pm the following day.

Keeps my BG low and stable, usually in the 4s, not hungry and weight keeps coming off, albeit only 1lb per week now as I attack my last 7-13 lbs.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've nearly made it. It's been quite easy really as I'm only now just feeling hungry. Took the girls to the local meadows and walked 7k steps - not quite the daily 10k but not bad with the kids in tow.

I've had green tea with jasmine - quite enjoyed it as not had that stuff for years.

Got pulled duck for dinner - that had better be good! I'm salivating now. 90 mins to go!

Think il stick to 24 hr fasts alternate days and see how that goes. Then I'll change it to 36 if I need to....

Don't know how you can go 72!! That'll be my longer term goal!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did it! Bg was 5.8 before eating. I'm feeling stuffed now. X

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well I've nearly made it. It's been quite easy really as I'm only now just feeling hungry. Took the girls to the local meadows and walked 7k steps - not quite the daily 10k but not bad with the kids in tow.

I've had green tea with jasmine - quite enjoyed it as not had that stuff for years.

Got pulled duck for dinner - that had better be good! I'm salivating now. 90 mins to go!

Think il stick to 24 hr fasts alternate days and see how that goes. Then I'll change it to 36 if I need to....

Don't know how you can go 72!! That'll be my longer term goal!

Woo that's great.

With your level of determination I am sure you will reach your objectives. :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I need more self belief sometimes x

PosyPip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That' great! Well done. I do regular fasts...they get much easier once you've done a few. I got VERY tired at first, but now I'm fine.