My low carb/IF Diet - BG and progress

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Clive. It's good to have a reminder that we're all totally dispensable so it's important to focus on life! I'm just a bit gutted my calling could be coming to an abrupt end despite being told endlessly by the kids and team mates that I'm amazing!! Oh well....

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing really well again. Head in right place, long enough time away from work now to remember what's important in life and feel a lot more in control again....

Saw doc this week and we're reducing one of my meds which is apparently awful for weight gain so I cannot wait to be free of that!

Been eating so many eggs lately. Don't know why but it's been on the menu a lot! Fried egg, egg mayo (I finally CRACKED the homemade Mayo recipe!) and asparagus and dippy eggs.

And another piece of exciting news...I'm more or less off the Diet Coke! Water intake still needs work but I've definitely improved.

I think April always gives me a kick up my flabby **** - three months til proper summer.....

Reactions: 7 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Just had steak and green beans with egg mayo flop recipe as dressing (it didn't thicken!)

I can't remember the last time I ate steak - and it was half price so tasted even better!!!

X

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yum sounds delicious. How's your quest to eliminate diet coke going and have you noticed any difference in your readings since cutting down.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've drastically reduced intake and trying to up the ante with water but could still do better.

I've not been testing BG but once school is back and we're in a better routine, I'll be on it.

X

Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I've drastically reduced intake and trying to up the ante with water but could still do better.

I've not been testing BG but once school is back and we're in a better routine, I'll be on it.

X
Great to see you are getting back on track. Don't put of the testing too long
Cheers

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I won't!! I'm starting intermittent fasting from Wednesday do I'll prick from then onwards

Going back to work after two weeks off has been a bit of a shock!! X

Reactions: 3 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The weight is shifting slowly and I've been an angel. Stated walking more and plan to do two park walks a week if I can fit it in. My arms are slowly getting firmer but there's a lot of work still to be done!

I've decided to exercise as much as possible so I start to gain body confidence again....

I'm seeing all carbs as evil poison and it's working nicely so far.....

Reactions: 3 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just hopped on scales and it's good! 1.5kgs off since tues, reduced body fat by 3.5% and increased muscle by 2.5kg! Just shows you can't just go by weight.

And the evil scales have taken a year off my fitness age so I'm currently 50. Only ten more to go

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are Bluetooth ones I got from eBay that tell you loads of things and automatically collaborate with Apple health app so I can keep track of results. They're good but quite a wake up call!!!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
People are starting to notice a change in me! I wore a blouse I've not worn before and had my boots back on for work. The compliments I was getting - including from kids today was amazing! They were really sweet. I'm going to keep at it!

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
is
Yum sounds delicious. How's your quest to eliminate diet coke going and have you noticed any difference in your readings since cutting down.
Is Diet coke bad? I drink coke 0...is that OK?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@nelibonsai there is a lot of debate about diet soft drinks as some people think that it tricjs your body into thinking you have just consumed real sugar but personally I find it doesnt affect my BS levels at all and I still drink it everyday. Debmcgee has been trying to cut down.

FADM2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
YAY!!!!! the results r here!! I'm soo happy with my progress :D :D

IF 16:8 for past one month. Though it's not LCHF, I try to limit sugar and refined flour intake. A1C came down to 6.8 from 7.9.

I also do HIIT at least twice a week. and slow paces cardio/yoga 3/4 days a week.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
is

Is Diet coke bad? I drink coke 0...is that OK?
Hi nelibonsai, I have swopped diet coke for Zero coke have tested a few times and my Bg levels are fine with the Zero coke .:happy:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@nelibonsai there is a lot of debate about diet soft drinks as some people think that it tricjs your body into thinking you have just consumed real sugar but personally I find it doesnt affect my BS levels at all and I still drink it everyday. Debmcgee has been trying to cut down.

Thinking about that, what would happen?
There isn't any sugar, or calories.
So even if you produce insulin, at worst you'd start to go low?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

I've given Diet Coke up because I don't think it's any good for anyone. Bad for your teeth and apparently if the tastebuds taste sweetness, it will trigger a release of insulin in response. I want to lose weight and lower bg in the process so am trying to keep my insulin as low as possible so that my body won't build fat. Insulin is responsible for fat building so if I can avoid insulin drivers, then I should lose weight.

I need to start testing again - will try from tomorrow. When I did my mini two week test, my bg was higher with Diet Coke than water weeks but it wasn't a scientific experiment.

I still have it if I'm out for a meal but I am no longer buying it for my packed lunch or having it in my fridge. I've done fairly well so far.

I think I sleep better too without DC in my life....

I think it's a case of adjusting as much as you can take in order to shift poundage, lower bg and be more healthy. I'm being guided by my body age assigned to me from evil scales....one year down, 10 to go but I think I have a good chance of getting there.

I wish I had more time to do more research into all the latest medical advice.

Diet doc et al all stress about eating natural and avoiding sweeteners so I'm following their advice....

I'm due a blood test soon too. That'll be interesting!

Reactions: 9 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!

I'm still following the LCHF way of life and the kilos are coming off. People have started to notice and I'm feeling way more positive.

Bg is still around 6.5 which is really soul destroying as I'm doing everything right. I decided to read Jason Fung's book and although I'm only 80 pages in, I was shocked and relieved to see that gabapentin (a drug prescribed for my disc pain) is a known insulin riser and therefore unhelpful for weight loss. I've weaned myself off it and have been 'clean' for nearly two weeks. Not sure how long detox takes for it but I'm not going back on it. So as far as I'm aware, none of my prescription meds are weight gain triggers....

Stress apparently is a cortisol trigger which increases weight gain. So I'm trying to get at least 7 hours a night. So far so good and I'm tracking sleep pattern with a Fitbit type thing (although mine is a cheap version).

Now on to exercise....I'm actively walking most days and taking my friend's dogs for walks and I'm starting to feel stronger inside myself. It's an amazing stress reliever. I also decided enough was enough and started weight lifting again on arms. Nothing too crazy - just 3kg weights to tone. The great news here is that a few weeks in, I'm back at normal lean tissue % of weight.

And remember those nasty scales I treated myself to for me 40th? Well I'm now at the ripe age of 49 in terms of fitness - so that's two years off. 9 more to go but that's progress!

Work has been awful - had to reapply for my job - interview, assessments, observations and written statements - I'll find out on Wednesday if I'm keeping my job. It's really affected me more than I realised so I'll be glad when that's done.

My water intake still needs work but I'm averaging 1.5-2 litres a day. Hardly drinking Coke these days. Still crave it but it's a treat thing....

I think that's about everything. I've been lurking but not been actively posting.

I'm feeling positive and can't wait to be more successful. I highly recommend Jason's book. It's finally shown me that I'm not a failure and that science has been against me. I was shocked when I tipped the scales and could never quite believe I'd been that bad. Now I know that years of medication has done me no favours and I'm not entirely to blame. Now I know I can win this game!

Hope you're all swell....
Deb xxx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 8 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi!

I'm still following the LCHF way of life and the kilos are coming off. People have started to notice and I'm feeling way more positive.

Bg is still around 6.5 which is really soul destroying as I'm doing everything right. I decided to read Jason Fung's book and although I'm only 80 pages in, I was shocked and relieved to see that gabapentin (a drug prescribed for my disc pain) is a known insulin riser and therefore unhelpful for weight loss. I've weaned myself off it and have been 'clean' for nearly two weeks. Not sure how long detox takes for it but I'm not going back on it. So as far as I'm aware, none of my prescription meds are weight gain triggers....

Stress apparently is a cortisol trigger which increases weight gain. So I'm trying to get at least 7 hours a night. So far so good and I'm tracking sleep pattern with a Fitbit type thing (although mine is a cheap version).

Now on to exercise....I'm actively walking most days and taking my friend's dogs for walks and I'm starting to feel stronger inside myself. It's an amazing stress reliever. I also decided enough was enough and started weight lifting again on arms. Nothing too crazy - just 3kg weights to tone. The great news here is that a few weeks in, I'm back at normal lean tissue % of weight.

And remember those nasty scales I treated myself to for me 40th? Well I'm now at the ripe age of 49 in terms of fitness - so that's two years off. 9 more to go but that's progress!

Work has been awful - had to reapply for my job - interview, assessments, observations and written statements - I'll find out on Wednesday if I'm keeping my job. It's really affected me more than I realised so I'll be glad when that's done.

My water intake still needs work but I'm averaging 1.5-2 litres a day. Hardly drinking Coke these days. Still crave it but it's a treat thing....

I think that's about everything. I've been lurking but not been actively posting.

I'm feeling positive and can't wait to be more successful. I highly recommend Jason's book. It's finally shown me that I'm not a failure and that science has been against me. I was shocked when I tipped the scales and could never quite believe I'd been that bad. Now I know that years of medication has done me no favours and I'm not entirely to blame. Now I know I can win this game!

Hope you're all swell....
Deb xxx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Well done....one step at a time its not a sprint but a life long way of staying well and being in control,so keep on keeping on ,clive

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app