My low(er) carb journey as a veggie

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@purplekat courgettes can be used as penne pasta substitute too. cut into half lengthways, scoop out seeds, then cut into slices at an angle , sort of penne shape and size.
Cauliflower has been my saviour (if someone had said that to me 2 years ago I would have rolled around laughing!) cauli makes good 'rice' and 'mash' can also make fake 'potato cakes' using cauli.

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I think there is something fishy about that poster (excuse the pun!)

Denounces cake and claims to be vegetarian, but their food diary states cake and ham for lunch today. Hmmm.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

We did try the leeks for pasta sheets .. It was not to our taste .. But will try the courgettes next time. As you know it's very important for our food to be super tasty as we have had to give up on most easy carbs.

The leeks did work for filling with ricotta and spinach with very finely chopped shallot in a cheese sauce .. Served with a super fresh salad ...and finely shredded mustard and mayo coleslaw
I think she left them whole(leeks) .. Topped and tailed with the inner parts removed after blanching .. Then the filling was piped in and placed in the cheese sauce .. Popped in the oven until piping hot .

I must add it looked amazing and for me tasted even better than it looked ..
Ooh like cannelloni? What a great idea :D

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw hairy Bikers use leeks in place of lasagna sheets, sliced and opened up to form sheets.

Could also use aubergine in place of pasta in lasagna sheets.

IF you do want something sweet or as a treat or to take to party etc, chocolate mousse with avocado and dark coco powder is yummy, add a bit of double cream, greek yogurt or vegan alternative to loosen the mixture.

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. I was diagnosed in April with type 2 and after six weeks of floundering around decided to do low carb as carbs were my failing. I am a vegan and at first found it very hard but am sorting things out. At bedtime last night I tested 6.5 and this morning on rising 6.8 so first day without dawn phenomenon. I am trying to get under 60 gems carbs a day but have reduced slowly and so far do not have too many hunger pangs. I am hoping to keep going till I am off my 2xmetformin 500 SR. I am not overweight and run every day. I cannot understand ketosis. How do u know when u r there?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @figgywiggy Great to hear that you are getting into the swing of it. I use ketostix to tell if I am ketosis. I pee on a stick and if it turns pink = ketosis = in fat burning mode. I just use them occasionally for motivation. My bg levels are my priority, ketosis and weight loss are just a bonus.

Are you due a 3 month review soon?

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had it. Went from 115 hbca1 to 58. Blood sugar from 15.7 to 7.9 hoping to be even better next time. Thanks to advice and support on these forums.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Sunspot

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad food, junk food, processed food.
"@@Sunspot I would suggest you read some of the basic information pages on this site if you think diabetes is caused by eating sugar or sweet foods."

I did not say diabetes was caused by sugar.

I see my being on this forum is going to cause a lot of you a chance to find someone to pick on. I did not come here to stir up trouble. I am interested in low carb and i was interested to learn some more about diabetes etc because i was reading about it in the art and science of low carb etc.

But i did say sugar causes me a lot of problems and i know it does for others too. Its quite possible that if i did not go low carb i could end up with diabetes myself since when i overeat, i overeat primarily sweet foods, not pasta, bread, hot chips etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Reactions: 3 people

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Hi izzi, I definitely need to find a good low carb brownie recipe, I'll hunt through the forum until I find one :) That would be a great treat.

My main concern about testing loads on the fingers, is I often go up to the stables close to the times I would have tested, and I'm concerned about possible infections due to pin pricks on my fingers. If I test elsewhere, it can be kept covered up/not come into contact with any dirt more easily. I'm maybe being over-concerned about that though!

HI Purplekat,:) When you go for your nest blood test (fasting 12 hours I think) drink plenty of water as it helps the blood flow.
I am on a vegan/veggie type diet with what I believe is great for my control of diabetes.
You need your BG test so that you know whats works for you as we are all different in relation to what foods affect our BG.
I know this sounds daft yet the best tip I can give is "presentation" it is how the meal looks and the effort you take that makes it all worth while.
I also don't think those lovely horses mind how many times you test as long as you're in full control.
Finally don't forget to make yourself a well deserved treat. ( My son makes me vegan ice cream and great brownies but not that often ).
best of luck and keep up your good work.:)

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Thanks @Scimama , I'll have a look at the Atkins shakes. More expensive though, I'll have to see how often I'm likely to need to resort to them. I'm hoping it's minimal.

Greek salad sounds interesting, I'll have a look to see what's in it (I'm really not keen on salads, but it's one of the things I need to start eating more of)

Hi
Noticed you said about Slimfast shakes, as a standby. These are high in sugar, there are low car alternatives - Atkins.

I often take greek salad for lunch, or home made soups or stews in winter.

School hols start next week and i will take a small box of almonds and pumpkin seeds with me in case I need an emergency snack or use it as addition to meal bought in cafe/supermarket/park etc. Often VERY limited choice for low carb vegetarians when eating out or trying to get take away/picnic lunch, typically its salad or the inside of a quiche scooped out :rolleyes:

There are some good low carb books for veggies too, or lots of recipes on the forums can be adapted.

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Are Quorn sausages nice? I like the sound of that with beans and omelette.

There's a really good 'Stickie' post at the top of the low carb diet forum that gives you a good introduction to low carbing, including how many grams of carbs is low carb. It's very well written :)

I have bought Hovis whole meal seed sensation bread. Is this
any good? How much can I eat in a day? I never realized just how many carbs I eat - with every meal. Tonight I had Quorn sausage, cheese omelette and beans but still had fruit and yoghurt after!! Can anyone give me a rough idea how many grammes = low carb in a day? Any suggestions for low carb veggie/vegan diet book to buy to get me on track?
Thanks for any help given.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Are Quorn sausages nice? I like the sound of that with beans and omelette.

There's a really good 'Stickie' post at the top of the low carb diet forum that gives you a good introduction to low carbing, including how many grams of carbs is low carb. It's very well written :)
Cauldron sausages are also lovely. They are very herby and perfect for a BBQ. They are about 3g carbs each.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the scotch eggs the wife makes with LM Italian sausages .. We have our own hens, so sometimes have lots of eggs to use

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Enclave that's a fantastic weight loss, and encouraging to hear when trying to stick to a new way of eating. Sounds like your wife should write a cookbook, but if she's busy maybe you could write it for her leaving her free to create more good recipes :)

@Sunspot .. Watch out for Parmesan cheese .. It's not vegetarian .. There is one that is but it's a powder.
Chickpeas, pitta bread and lentils would spike my bs through the roof .. Again we are all different so test .. Test . And test again.. I find I can use a little cornflower to thicken gravy .. Quinoa and pearl barley are good for me.
I can eat Mackie's chocolate ice cream made with full cream .. Just a small bowl and served with almonds berries and sometimes double cream ... Still steadily loosing weight .. Feeling good .. More energy than ever.
My diet before being diabetic was vegetarian, lowish carb with very low fat ..(the wife nagged me to have more fat in my diet.. Olive oil, cheese, full fat milk.. But I was taking my diet advice from the dr at that time) . My weight got to 21 stone .. I felt rotten, and then got T2diabetes .. So by (allowing my wife to take control of my diet, as I had nothing to loose) reducing the carbs a little more and adding the fat .. Woosh the weight has gone down in the 16 stones now in 7months. My bloods have all comeback normal .. The first time in many years, as I have heart problems I was worried about fat in my food .. But it's now all normal !!!
I do keep saying to the wife she should make a cook book of what I eat, as it's all very tasty and keeps my bs low and weight also lowering, but she says she is to bisey inventing dishes to write about them. Fair comment as she is also an editor of an online garden magazine.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh ... I don't know how to cook ! Let alone write about cooking .... Beans on lots of toast is my best meal .. Sadly I can no longer eat that :(
I do ask how she cooks something .. But am Lost with the terms she uses .. Satue onions ? Blanch leeks ? It's a bit beyond my cooking skills ... Will nagg her a bit more about writing them down .. She did suggest we here started a forum post called Vegetarian Restaurant .. Then we can have a good place for veggies to delve into when stuck for food ideas .. Needless to say low carb ... Are we able to request title forum posts here are do we just work with what we have.
(Not threads in general food forums )

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For my lunch today I have had curried coleslaw with a few cheese crackers and a cup full of curried soup.
The wife is stretched for time today so did not ask how she made the soup or coleslaw .. (The coleslaw had sliced almonds in and smoked cheese .. Curry powder ? And a tiny amount of I think mango chutney .. Mayo .. Shredded cabbage carrot and red onion .. She puts it in little bowls so it looks amazing .. If I could work out how to use her camera I would take photos ! But she is an artist/editor and her camera has lots of settings and buttons that I would not know where to start II:banghead: