My low(er) carb journey as a veggie

Sunspot

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad food, junk food, processed food.
To the nasty person avocado: If eating the odd bit of meat when caught in a tight spot is acceptable to Peter Singer, the ethics philosopher who ignited the modern animal welfare trend,, then its fine for me too i.e. the 5 grams of ham i ate the other day, which I generally avoid. Cake is part of my rules but i haven't given you the full explanation of my rules re sugar. And you didn't seem interested. You are only interested in 'hating on me' because i'm not as strict a vegetarian as you. You really are a nasty piece of work and have decided me against this forum.

Reactions: 2 people

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
There are alot of nasty people on here Sunspot - you could try the ignore function if you do want to stay. That way you can hide their posts. ;)

However if you want to close your account you do need to contact a mod. Very odd that one. Other forums I belong to let the user determine when to close their account.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Re Brownies

Whitby Jet posted lc recipe for these on the low carb recipe thread.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
To the nasty person avocado: If eating the odd bit of meat when caught in a tight spot is acceptable to Peter Singer, the ethics philosopher who ignited the modern animal welfare trend,, then its fine for me too i.e. the 5 grams of ham i ate the other day, which I generally avoid. Cake is part of my rules but i haven't given you the full explanation of my rules re sugar. And you didn't seem interested. You are only interested in 'hating on me' because i'm not as strict a vegetarian as you. You really are a nasty piece of work and have decided me against this forum.
Can you please avoid personal attacks on the open forum. If you have any problems, you can report it and it will be sorted. Thanks.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hiya @purplecat I was speaking to you a few weeks ago and you said you would dig out and post your walnut and lentil loaf recipe. I am going to stalk you until you do :p
@purplecat, c'mon spill the beans! I love new recipes!

Should we post tried and tested veggie and vegan recipes here? Whenever I see something I fancy, I print it out and put it in a folder in my kitchen. Got quite a collection now. And I take lots of photos. It helps if you are ever stuck for inspiration to have something to browse.

I fancy making this tonight. Have tried it and it is very tasty. Let the tomatoes reduce for as long as possible.....

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/08/recipe-for-julia-childs-eggplant-pizzas.html

Reactions: 5 people

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
To clarify, I'm one of those vegetarians that doesn't eat meat/fish even occasionally/in a tight spot (I actually dislike the stuff, became a veggie originally as I didn't like the taste/texture). As this is my thread, I would prefer it if all recipe/meal ideas suggested stayed away from meat & fish. Anyone who likes eating them can easily work out how to add them to any veggie recipes suggested I'm sure, or stick to the thread with all recipes on it :)
@Sunspot, not getting into any ethics debate, everyone does what suits them best, however I did start this thread with the intention of keeping it vegetarian, with no meat mentioned. I couldn't find any existing threads running for any length that were relating to vegetarian low carbing, hence why I started one as I wanted to keep any good ideas I came across in one place :) I do love @Enclave's wife's suggestion of a thread dedicated to veggie recipes too.
@Avocado Sevenfold, is it possible to upload documents then? It would be far easier to just scan and upload it to you instead of typing it out! I'm happy for tried and tested vegan recipes to be posted here, or we could start a new thread clearly labelled as that so anyone new can find it easily too :)
thanks for the tip @Serena51, I'll have a look for that brownie recipe.
@Enclave, curried soup sounds really nice, I'll need to look out for a recipe for that.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

ie@purplekat A scan of the recipe would be great :) If you don't mind recipes being placed here, we can always point people in the direction of your thread if they need ideas. If i post anything vegan-friendly I will highlight it as such for Figgywiggy and any other vegans.

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Really struggling with carb cravings today. I'm not hungry, I'm just noticing I'm not eating as much and my subconcious is needling me to do something about it :( So I took action - I sat down and worked out how many carbs I was eating on an average day before I decided to lower my carb instake... EEK! An average day was noticeably over 200g of carbs! That's not taking into account the days I got talked into takeaway, or was stuck for options at lunchtime (being disorganised).

So although I'm not going for very low carb, I'm still more than halfing my recent levels of carb intake, so no wonder my body's wondering what's going on!

I've switched to Burgeon bread, so had a fairly suitable lunch today (burgeon with philadelphia). I had 2 slices of the bread, however I'm feeling quite full after that so I could probably either have 1 slice of bread only, or get the 400g loaves with the smaller slices :) My plan for dinner is an omelette I think, or crustless quiche. I'll need to see if the supermarket delivered the whole order before deciding though.

I'll need to plan ahead thoroughly for the next couple of weeks, as we stay close enough to the comonwealth games to be very impacted trying to get to supermarkets etc, so I'll need to do my best to avoid needing to go there during times there are competitions on. I forsee many omelette and soup days!

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I am in commonwealth games town too! Not competing obviously :rolleyes:

Perhaps instead of two pieces of bread, have just one but toast it to make it more substantial then cover it in phili and pile it high with salady things?

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spooky! I'm walking distance from it :(

I could do that at the weekend, but we're not allowed toasters at work as too many people set the fire alarm off (leading to false alarms/charges from the fire brigade). I've got a fridge and a microwave at work, so reasonable number of options :)

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is ce
Really struggling with carb cravings today. I'm not hungry, I'm just noticing I'm not eating as much and my subconcious is needling me to do something about it :( So I took action - I sat down and worked out how many carbs I was eating on an average day before I decided to lower my carb instake... EEK! An average day was noticeably over 200g of carbs! That's not taking into account the days I got talked into takeaway, or was stuck for options at lunchtime (being disorganised).

So although I'm not going for very low carb, I'm still more than halfing my recent levels of carb intake, so no wonder my body's wondering what's going on!

I've switched to Burgeon bread, so had a fairly suitable lunch today (burgeon with philadelphia). I had 2 slices of the bread, however I'm feeling quite full after that so I could probably either have 1 slice of bread only, or get the 400g loaves with the smaller slices :) My plan for dinner is an omelette I think, or crustless quiche. I'll need to see if the supermarket delivered the whole order before deciding though.

I'll need to plan ahead thoroughly for the next couple of weeks, as we stay close enough to the comonwealth games to be very impacted trying to get to supermarkets etc, so I'll need to do my best to avoid needing to go there during times there are competitions on. I forsee many omelette and soup days!
. It is very y hard to stick to low carbing but if you see results it helps u keep going I have found. I am trying to do 50g - 60 g a day and my BG results are falling. I drink water when I get hungry. Or I eat a handful of peanuts. Good luck.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Spooky! I'm walking distance from it :(

I could do that at the weekend, but we're not allowed toasters at work as too many people set the fire alarm off (leading to false alarms/charges from the fire brigade). I've got a fridge and a microwave at work, so reasonable number of options :)
I am on the ping-pong side of town so not near the main arenas. My colleague went to the dress rehearsal last night and said they have lots of frightened wee Westie dogs involved in the opening ceremony. She was quite upset about it :(

I don't like to use the fridge or microwave at work as they are minging, but I have a food flask so can take in hot leftovers if I fancy.

Last edited:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to say good by .. I am leaving this site as soon as the admin remove me.
I will rejoin when they open an area for vegetarians
Thanks for all your support
Enclave

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Just wanted to say good by .. I am leaving this site as soon as the admin remove me.
Enclave
Sorry to read that, Enclave. You are a great asset to the forum - the poster boy for successful low carb veggies :) and have so much to offer.

I hope you reconsider. We don't need a separate area, in my opinion. We are all just people who may need support with our diabetes regardless of what we eat.

figgywiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dob
Sorry to read that, Enclave. You are a great asset to the forum - the poster boy for successful low carb veggies :) and have so much to offer.

I hope you reconsider. We don't need a separate area, in my opinion. We are all just people who may need support with our diabetes regardless of what we eat.
t I dobt quite understand what's going on but we need everyone helping everyone.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Enclave
Why? I don't understand, I'm not vegetarian but I enjoy reading your posts. I'll miss you.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Enclave
Why don't you start your own vegetarian thread and keep it up with regular recipes ? Bit like a blog ? I'm sure there are others like you who would love to post and share. I don't know how to start new sections, otherwise I would. Maybe @Giverny will possibly consider it in the future if it proves popular ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App