My worst nightmare have come through

Chris26111980

Don't panic, a result of 8.4 means nothing without context. It would depend what and when you had eaten in the recent past, whether you had exercised, vigorously, whether you are harbouring a bug of some sort, and so on.

A single blood glucose, even if all else validates it as high, wont cause any long term harm, and provided you are no weeing for UK, drinking water like it was going out of fashion and dropping weight at an alarmingly fast pace, I doubt your Doc will be too perturbed.

If any of the foregoing applies, then a call to 111 would help them help you, if required.
How did you reverse it?.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Chris26111980 a reading of 8.4 isn't that high really! Had you washed your hands before doing the test.

I see you had a 4.5 (?) thios morning which is perfectly normal
Are there any reasons why you are testing your bloods?

Chris26111980

Fellow anxious person here (Not usually about my health though, I already know that's ****. Just... Everything else. People especially.). Being in panic mode all the time, can drive your blood glucose up a little more than it would normally be. Your body releases corticosteroids when it is stressed, to provide a fight or flight response, and that means the liver dumps some glucose to give you energy to do either one of those things... Run like heck or fight for your life. but when you're anxious, neither one's an option, really... So it's just there, those blood sugars. And you're not seeing double digits just yet. So breathe.... Should something be going on, and I'm not saying there is, then it's still very early days and you can get a grip on it easily. Okay? You're going to be fine, whatever this turns out to be. Those dry lips could be as insignificant as a little vitamin b deficiency. And while diabetes can cause pain, (diabetic neuropathy), you don't have that, I'm pretty confident in saying. You'd have been seeing very, very different numbers on your meter, and for a long, long time, if that were the case. So take a step back from this and just wait for the HbA1c test. It'll tell you where you're at and whether you're barking up the wrong tree. And if you are prediabetic, we can help you, okay?

Good luck! And try to enjoy the last few days away.
Jo
Thank you. I am trying to digest what could be wrong with me with what the doctors are saying. One doctor I saw said to me that I couldn’t be diabetic. I didn’t eat for almost 9 hours, I would have fainted.

Chris26111980

Hi @Chris26111980 a reading of 8.4 isn't that high really! Had you washed your hands before doing the test.

I see you had a 4.5 (?) thios morning which is perfectly normal
Are there any reasons why you are testing your bloods?
Yes I did. It went from 8.4 to 7.7 to 7.2 to 8.4 within an hour. 10 min after eating this morning, it was 3.9.

Reactions: porl69

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I am trying to digest what could be wrong with me with what the doctors are saying. One doctor I saw said to me that I couldn’t be diabetic. I didn’t eat for almost 9 hours, I would have fainted.
Anyone can be diabetic, they can't 100% rule it out without a HbA1c test. But the odds are slim, so.... You want to keep at it with the other symptoms. There's a reason they're there. If you have a lipoma (fat tissue build up) you could have that removed. Pain in the groin area could be sciatica, but also a little hernia or something... A friend of mine had one and he was afraid to go to the doc's because he thought it was cancer. (In his mind, everything's always cancer). The surgery was a breeze, much better than walking around with it for years. The things you mention aren't per definition things you'd get with diabetes, so.... Just ask for the HbA1c test to ease your mind, get a full blood panel done for vitamin deficiencies, get the lipoma removed if it's in a removable place, to quit the limping (after all, if it is affecting your walk, it's not cosmetic surgery), you know... Tackle these things head on and don't take no for an answer. There's answers out there, and you need them.

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ate 3 hours before hand. Buns with cheese.

You have a lot of good replies here, but to further ease you mind...I like to test friends and family because I'm curious about what "normal" blood glucose looks like. My boyfriend is my prime study object, and I've prodded him enough to be pretty sure he's not pre-diabetic. When he eats large servings of high carb high fat foods like pizza or pasta his blood sugar can go above 8 mmol/l and sit there for a few hours before coming back down. People who take insulin will split their dose for these foods, as the high fat slows digestion causing the carbs to be released in a second wave much later. This explains a high reading 3 hours after eating, and buns with cheese falls into this category of foods. A bread roll often has 50g of carbs, or even more.

Some people can eat this way their whole lives without developing diabetes, while others do. If you're stressed about it, test your blood and keep a food log for a couple of weeks. It's a bit tedious, but at the end of it you'd have a good picture of what drives your blood sugar high. Then you can avoid it and worry less.

Reactions: Chris26111980

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not eating for nine hours won't make you faint. We fast for nearly as long every night when we sleep.

Anxiety can make you feel light-headed. I hope you get some answers soon.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't mention OMAD. ;)
OMAD means one meal a day. Just in case Chris doesn't know, and is concerned that it could stand for some nasty complication.

Some diabetes choose to only eat once every 24 hours, with no ill effects.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chris26111980 - antibiotics can really reduce the good bacteria in your gut, which have absolutely been shown to have a role in glucose metabolism. After a round of antibiotics, increasing prebiotic (those with fiber) and probiotic foods (fermented, such as natural pickles fermented without vinegar, kefir, sauerkraut) is a good idea. No need to eat tons, just add a little at first and increase a bit if you have no adverse digestive reaction. A few solid weeks of intentionally adding those foods can get you back to pre-antibiotic status in you gut.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, sorry... Just was thinking how nuts we must seem to other people sometimes.
OMAD means one meal a day. Just in case Chris doesn't know, and is concerned that it could stand for some nasty complication.

Some diabetes choose to only eat once every 24 hours, with no ill effects.

Chris26111980

Is this Keto diet?. From dinner at 3, my level have been stable at 5.2 to now.
I would like to keep it that way.

Some almond nuts here and there.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this Keto diet?. From dinner at 3, my level have been stable at 5.2 to now.
I would like to keep it that way.

Some almond nuts here and there.

Keto will certainly be very helpful for maintaining blood glucose levels.

In fact many of us have become far healthier since being diagnosed with T2..

Chris26111980

You have a lot of good replies here, but to further ease you mind...I like to test friends and family because I'm curious about what "normal" blood glucose looks like. My boyfriend is my prime study object, and I've prodded him enough to be pretty sure he's not pre-diabetic. When he eats large servings of high carb high fat foods like pizza or pasta his blood sugar can go above 8 mmol/l and sit there for a few hours before coming back down. People who take insulin will split their dose for these foods, as the high fat slows digestion causing the carbs to be released in a second wave much later. This explains a high reading 3 hours after eating, and buns with cheese falls into this category of foods. A bread roll often has 50g of carbs, or even more.

Some people can eat this way their whole lives without developing diabetes, while others do. If you're stressed about it, test your blood and keep a food log for a couple of weeks. It's a bit tedious, but at the end of it you'd have a good picture of what drives your blood sugar high. Then you can avoid it and worry less.
Hmmm, yes, I also had a coffee with the meal but it was shock to see it.

mouseee

Having read through the thread since my first reply, I think that anxiety is the thing you need to seek support with alongside your worries about diabetes.

I've read a lot of threads and a lot of information about how T2 in particular shows up in people and although there are things you are concerned about none have made big flashing lights have gone off in my brain and, from reading comments, the same applies to far more 'experienced' diabetics than me.

Of course, you must seek GP advice and no one is giving medical advice as we can't but as Jo said above, anxiety can cause a whole load of problems. My husband was taken to hospital in an ambulance for heart checks but all turned out to be due to his anxiety. I always say, you can make your little toe throb with pain if you think about it hard enough.

You are probably adding to your anxiety as you can't get to a doctor's straightaway to find answers and that means it's all building in your mind as you over think it. Been there, done that!

Try to relax, ask for advice, eat lower carb if you want - but remember to breathe. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.