My worst nightmare have come through

Chris26111980

So, I have taken a prick test before going to bed, 8.4.......
I am on holiday now so can’t do anything where I am until Monday when I get back to the U.K..
I am diabetic, I know I am. I don’t want any complications so I will phone my doctor tomorrow for advice.
First time it reached that level. Yesterday it only went up to 5.8.

mouseee

Good idea to ring doctors although they will just book you in for a blood test when you're back. I had to wait until after a weekend when I realised and cut out most carbs at that point to keep things low.
8.4 is high but not excessively high. If that's the highest you've ever been and you end up being T2 it will be easy to make changes in diet and have a big impact quickly.

Out of interest, what makes you think you are diabetic? What other symptoms do you have?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am on holiday now so can’t do anything where I am until Monday when I get back to the U.K..
I am diabetic, I know I am. I don’t want any complications so I will phone my doctor tomorrow for advice.

You might or might not be diabetic. It's not unknown for non diabetics to go out of range, one slightly high reading does not make a diagnosis. (Plus add in a 10% error in the glucometer and you could be anywhere between 7.4 and 9). Or just have dirty hands and your true reading could be the same as yesterday. I've been an insulin injecting T1 for 49 years and I wouldn't stress to go to bed with a reading like that. (Eyes, feet, kidneys, heart etc all still work OK).

It's possible that you are diabetic but only possible. You'd have to have high (much higher than that) readings for months or even years before getting any complications.

And stress puts up sugar levels.

Relax and try to enjoy your holiday. Even if you are diabetic it's not the end of the world. If you're T2 you can think of it like someone who is gluten intolerant, if you're T1 it is life changing but not destroying.

Reactions: jomar_uk

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

have you been told you have glucose metabolism issues in the past? I assume yes since you are testing BG. People without diabetes can hit 8.4. Regardless, relax. Enjoy vacation and eat and drink moderately. Then visit the doctor when you get home.

I’m certainly not trying to diminish the difficult struggle some diabetics can go through, but for me, I can certainly think of much worse nightmares than diabetes.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a diabetic, and i don't get nigtmares. Relax, even if it is, its just a challenge, and far easier to deal with than , say , cancer. I can control it, and that makes me powerful. i have knowledge, and I gain knowledge and so I control it, it does not control me. Something pronmpted you to start testing, But don't jump to concluions yet. Let the doctor do his/ her job then start reading the success stories on this site. It is not the end of the world at all. Just pick up the baton and run with it, wherever it takes you,

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Don't panic, a result of 8.4 means nothing without context. It would depend what and when you had eaten in the recent past, whether you had exercised, vigorously, whether you are harbouring a bug of some sort, and so on.

A single blood glucose, even if all else validates it as high, wont cause any long term harm, and provided you are no weeing for UK, drinking water like it was going out of fashion and dropping weight at an alarmingly fast pace, I doubt your Doc will be too perturbed.

If any of the foregoing applies, then a call to 111 would help them help you, if required.

Reactions: jomar_uk and EllieM

Chris26111980

I ate 3 hours before hand. Buns with cheese.
This morning it is 4.5.
About 2 months ago I suffered from tonsillitis, I always get it. The penicillin helped but it was always lurking in the back ground until 27th December it came back with full force. I told the doctor and he said this time it could be acid reflux doing it. But, I felt achey in my sides, sort of burning feeling in my lower back. I took a blood test and it showed my kidneys, liver and thyroid is ok, blood pressure is fine except my glucose was a bit high(7.4). It was supposed to be a fasting test but I ate 3 hours before hand. Doctor said ignore it. I decided to change my habits due to fear. No sugar and little carbs. During the last 2 months I have had this nagging head cold that doesn’t want to go. I’ve felt light headed but I have energy, never fatigued.
About a month ago, I started limping on my left leg. Doctor’s told me a fatty lump started growing but no connection to potential diabetes. They said diabetes won’t give you pain. Something is going on in the groin where pain radiates down to my knee and up to my abdomen to the lower rib cage, this is on the left side, right side is fine. Jerking pain on the left side. It freaks me out. It could be trapped nerve or sciatica...
Every doctor have said I am not but I think other wise. I will take the 3 months blood test on the 12th of February. That will give us and answer. I feel more thirsty and sometimes my lips are dry. I take the prick test because I think I have it. It allows me to keep and eye and I feel I know what I should eat and when.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You do seem to worry a lot ....

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Chris26111980

You seem to have a lot of anxiety over your health which isn’t obviously a great place to be in, have you even spoken about this to your GP ? You don’t have a diabetes diagnosis so living and enjoying your life whilst living healthily is vital.

Stress for any human with or without diabetes in excess isn’t great so finding ways to relax and manage this is important, talking, exercising and getting support will help you cope better but please seek help to manage this.

Reactions: Gran25

Chris26111980

Hello @Chris26111980

You seem to have a lot of anxiety over your health which isn’t obviously a great place to be in, have you even spoken about this to your GP ? You don’t have a diabetes diagnosis so living and enjoying your life whilst living healthily is vital.

Stress for any human with or without diabetes in excess isn’t great so finding ways to relax and manage this is important, talking, exercising and getting support will help you cope better but please seek help to manage this.
I do exercise a lot.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Have you always been anxious about your health or has this come about recently ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Life itself and what ever that entails. Had traumas as a child. Better now then what I used to be.
Fellow anxious person here (Not usually about my health though, I already know that's ****. Just... Everything else. People especially.). Being in panic mode all the time, can drive your blood glucose up a little more than it would normally be. Your body releases corticosteroids when it is stressed, to provide a fight or flight response, and that means the liver dumps some glucose to give you energy to do either one of those things... Run like heck or fight for your life. but when you're anxious, neither one's an option, really... So it's just there, those blood sugars. And you're not seeing double digits just yet. So breathe.... Should something be going on, and I'm not saying there is, then it's still very early days and you can get a grip on it easily. Okay? You're going to be fine, whatever this turns out to be. Those dry lips could be as insignificant as a little vitamin b deficiency. And while diabetes can cause pain, (diabetic neuropathy), you don't have that, I'm pretty confident in saying. You'd have been seeing very, very different numbers on your meter, and for a long, long time, if that were the case. So take a step back from this and just wait for the HbA1c test. It'll tell you where you're at and whether you're barking up the wrong tree. And if you are prediabetic, we can help you, okay?

Good luck! And try to enjoy the last few days away.
Jo

Reactions: Juicyj and Oldvatr