ND done, 5:2 fast didnt work now ND with a twist

Defren

I start the Newcastle diet on Monday. I will be using Atkins shakes as they are lower carbs. I have started this today, because I plan to get myself into a good mindset over the weekend. I can't manage breakfast no matter how I try, so I am going to have a shake for lunch, dinner and supper.

I did plan to do the diet with no exercise as my mobility is bad, but Geordie convinced me exercise is also key to helping BG so I bought a treadmill which arrived yesterday. I plan on one hour a day, spread over the day, and just very gentle walking. I managed 40 mins yesterday, so far today I am giving it the evil eye :lol:

While looking forward to the drop in BG I am worried about not having real food. I believe this passes after a few days, so fingers crossed. I will give daily accounts of how I progress, and if anyone has any comments I would be pleased to hear them. I don't want criticism, I am a big girl who has read a lot, and made a very careful and calculated choice. This is not a decision I have taken lightly or without a great deal of thought and consideration. However as much support as possible will be very welcome :lol:

No breakfast today
Lunch a shake
Dinner will be a proper dinner

Same tomorrow, then Monday full throttle.

Wish me luck :D

claymic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: A Geordie trying the Newcastle Diet

Bestest of luck!!! I will be intrigued to follow your progress. I might think of giving it a try but I do not think I have the strength just yet.

But i ll be getting my cheer leader pom poms out :)

Defren

claymic said:
Bestest of luck!!! I will be intrigued to follow your progress. I might think of giving it a try but I do not think I have the strength just yet.

But i ll be getting my cheer leader pom poms out :)

Thanks honey (seems the wrong pet name as we are trying to loose weight :lol: )

I really have no expectations, I just want to see what happens. I am praying it will help my BG, that is my major goal. We shall see.

Shake those pom-poms, great exercise :lol:

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

cmt_img-7.gif
cmt_img-7.gif
cmt_img-7.gif
I'll be cheering you on defren.
cmt_img-7.gif
cmt_img-7.gif
cmt_img-7.gif

I am at hospital on Monday but will try to keep my fingers crossed for you on your first day and I look forward to hearing how you are progressing.

Defren

catza said:
cmt_img-7.gif
cmt_img-7.gif
cmt_img-7.gif
I'll be cheering you on defren.
cmt_img-7.gif
cmt_img-7.gif
cmt_img-7.gif

I am at hospital on Monday but will try to keep my fingers crossed for you on your first day and I look forward to hearing how you are progressing.

Thank you I really appreciate it. Good luck at hospital Monday, fingers crossed for you.

First 10 mins on treadmill done. Left calf muscle much easier today, right one, still very painful, but we have some progress.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

Good luck Defren :wave:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.

The best of British to you!! If anyone can do it-you can! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I have no doubt at all you will do it, but please allow me to worry a bit. It`s my job :wink:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

Good luck Defren :D

Defren

Oh my life, all these good wishes, how can I not succeed? Thank you Paul, what a sweet thing to say. Jeanne, you worry about me when I cross the road :lol: Perhaps if you worry for me, then if you decide to have a go (not that you need to with your BG's (Poking tongue out smiley)) then you can try it and not worry for you. :lol: Could that work do you think?

Next 10 mins on the treadmill about to start, my calf aches just looking at it :D

Thank you everyone I truly appreciate the support.

A

Anonymous

Defren said:
Oh my life, all these good wishes, how can I not succeed? Thank you Paul, what a sweet thing to say. Jeanne, you worry about me when I cross the road :lol: Perhaps if you worry for me, then if you decide to have a go (not that you need to with your BG's (Poking tongue out smiley)) then you can try it and not worry for you. :lol: Could that work do you think?

Next 10 mins on the treadmill about to start, my calf aches just looking at it :D

Thank you everyone I truly appreciate the support.

I doubt I could stick to it for even a week. I admire your tanacity!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Defren,
Three shakes amounts to less than 500 calories and I can't see what their nutritional profile is (or maybe I've got the wrong shakes)The Newcastle diet seems to have been 600 from shakes + another 200 calories from veggies. The original shakes used included vitamins so that people got their full daily quota.
I really wish you the best of luck because I think that the Newcastle diet has potential for some. .... but please try to eat some veggies on top of those shakes and perhaps take a multivitamin.

(I've tried to not sound like a dampener but I am a bit worried)
Whatever you do, as you say, you're a big girl
so Good Luck.

Defren

phoenix said:
Defren,
Three shakes amounts to less than 500 calories and I can't see what their nutritional profile is (or maybe I've got the wrong shakes)The Newcastle diet seems to have been 600 from shakes + another 200 calories from veggies. The original shakes used included vitamins so that people got their full daily quota.
I really wish you the best of luck because I think that the Newcastle diet has potential for some. .... but please try to eat some veggies on top of those shakes and perhaps take a multivitamin.

(I've tried to not sound like a dampener but I am a bit worried)
Whatever you do, as you say, you're a big girl
so Good Luck.

Thank you for not being a big downer :lol: As Jeanne will confirm, getting 500 calories into me daily will be an achievement. Most days I am no where near that. Yesterday was 597, but only because I roasted a gammon joint, and cooked up some Debbie and Andrews sausages last night, so that we all could snack on them before they went off, and ended up with a sausage, a fried egg and some mushrooms :lol: They added 199 calories, so you can see what I am normally. I do have some good days, I made the cheeseburger pie, and while I didn't eat it all and my calories were listed at 878 that day, the reality is they may have been more like 600. I want to do 4 weeks with just shakes, then 4 weeks with veg. I am mindful that may not be feasible, and I may have to have veg. One promise I will make, the first sign of problems, I will add veg, problems after that I quit. I may be crazy trying this approach, but I'm not that crazy.

Just a point, the first stage of the Cambridge Diet is much lower calories a day :lol:

Thank you Phoenix, I really do appreciate your concern.

Defren

OMG I got a 4!!!! I have never had a 4 BG before. Pre dinner reading 4.9. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

starlight1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people who have no manners

good luck too you x starlight :p

A

Anonymous

Defren said:
OMG I got a 4!!!! I have never had a 4 BG before. Pre dinner reading 4.9. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hey! it 'ain't Monday yet!!!!!!!!! :D

Defren

I'm still flying high, can't believe I had a four. Was waving my meter around like a loony, so excited. :lol:

I will be 0.0 once this thing starts properly Monday catza :lol: PS love your avatar.