Dinner
Pre 5.3 + 2 hours 5.7

Supper
Pre 5.5 + 2 hours 5.3

Fluid
Water 4L
Tea 3 cups black

Exercise
To my shame, none today, just haven't had time. Tomorrow I will be starting to exercise properly.

Verdict after day 2.
I still feel fine, I woke up with a slight headache and thought uh hu, but it soon passed and I have been fine since. The ready made shakes arrived today, so that will add some variety, as just two flavours does soon become very boring. I have thought of one scoop of vanilla, one of chocolate, just to see if that will add a little variety. No matter how much you shake the darn things, there is still a powdery taste, so I drink a bit then a mouthful of water and that helps. I have had a sneaky weigh in today, but will just do a weekly update on that.

Last night my daughters had a pizza and didn't eat it all. They left it on the kitchen counter, I was fine last night it didn't bother me at all, it did today. I have made them promise to either put foil on left overs and pop in either the fridge or oven. No cravings between meals which has astounded me. I do now and again hanker for something to chew, but will just go and do something rather than dwell on it. It's not because I am hungry, I just want to feel food in my mouth and chew something. I don't like gum, so that's not an option.

Been really busy today, so have not had my supper shake. I will have that soon and update the figures.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: A Geordie trying the Newcastle Diet

Well done Defren, shame about the powdery aftertaste. Hopefully the ready made shakes will be smoother.

Defren

catza said:
Well done Defren, shame about the powdery aftertaste. Hopefully the ready made shakes will be smoother.

Oh they are, not powdery at all. The chocolate one really feeds a chocolate craving too as they do taste very milk chocolatey. The others are nice too. The powder shakes are ok, the after taste is not too dreadful, just not the best, but they taste fine. The vanilla one is much nicer than the extend vanilla, they are 'orrible.

A

Anonymous

Well done. I know I could not do this. I hope the DD`s put away any tempting left overs, that is too cruel :(

Defren

Jeannemum said:
Well done. I know I could not do this. I hope the DD`s put away any tempting left overs, that is too cruel :(

It was very cruel :cry: I did avoid temptation though. I will be honest, this is easier than I thought it would be. I have no hunger right up until my shake is due. It's weird thinking that just three shakes a day can keep you full. I suppose it shows me at least that a lot of time I eat just because I can, not because I need too.

youngmanfrank

You might want to consider coming off the metformin once your blood sugars start coming down,perhaps at the end of the first week?

You won't feel hungry after the first few days if you are losing weight because the body will be breaking down fat to provide energy in the background.

A similar diet was trialled for heart patients in America,at the end of the trial their cholesterol was lowered to normal levels and the proportion of good/bad cholesterol was improved.My cholesterol came down from 5.4 to 4.0 by the end of the diet,so that might be another medication you can abandon post diet.

I am coming up to 6 months since I finished the diet and came off all meds and as part of this decided to establish a base line for fasting blood sugars,intending to re-test in six months time when I have my next Hb test.The average has been 5.2 for the last three weeks.I saw the boy doctor yesterday about another matter and he admitted that I was his star patient,which is rich as he has also admitted that there is no way he would have supervised my "starvation" diet.He agrees my insulin sensitivity has been normalised (his word) but believes that eventually I will slide slowly back into a diabetic state.No problem I said,if that happens I will do another Newcastle diet for a few weeks and recover the lost sensitivity.A baffled look slowly crossed his youthfull visage.

I hope this encourages you if the going gets hard.Your diet can bring results.

beekeeper

Youmgman. I found those final comments, very powerful. Thank you. I've been on the diet for a week and a half and comments like that help a lot.
I'm also not expecting a cure, just a way to put the ball back into my court for a while. If I can slow down the inevitable demise, then that's a worthy result.
Good luck to you to Defren

youngmanfrank

Beekeeper

I believe the key to success lies not just in de-fatting the pancreas and liver (Newcastle's take on this) but also getting your weight back into a normal BMI range.Once this achieved you can concentrate on a healthier life style which might,just might,prevent you from slipping back.

Defren

ButtercupDaisy said:
Im a Gerdie too but Iv never heard of the Newcastle Diet
Im itching to know what it is ?

Hi BD, I 'think' I am the first woman on the forum to try it (apologies if I have this wrong). We have a few men here who have tried it with very successful results. There is loads of information on here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23135

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

Defren

youngmanfrank said:
You might want to consider coming off the metformin once your blood sugars start coming down,perhaps at the end of the first week?

You won't feel hungry after the first few days if you are losing weight because the body will be breaking down fat to provide energy in the background.

A similar diet was trialled for heart patients in America,at the end of the trial their cholesterol was lowered to normal levels and the proportion of good/bad cholesterol was improved.My cholesterol came down from 5.4 to 4.0 by the end of the diet,so that might be another medication you can abandon post diet.

I am coming up to 6 months since I finished the diet and came off all meds and as part of this decided to establish a base line for fasting blood sugars,intending to re-test in six months time when I have my next Hb test.The average has been 5.2 for the last three weeks.I saw the boy doctor yesterday about another matter and he admitted that I was his star patient,which is rich as he has also admitted that there is no way he would have supervised my "starvation" diet.He agrees my insulin sensitivity has been normalised (his word) but believes that eventually I will slide slowly back into a diabetic state.No problem I said,if that happens I will do another Newcastle diet for a few weeks and recover the lost sensitivity.A baffled look slowly crossed his youthfull visage.

I hope this encourages you if the going gets hard.Your diet can bring results.

Thank you for this YMF. I want to remain on the Metformin for the protection it supplies to my heart. If I were to see very low BG then yes, I would come off it, but for now prefer to see it as a protection medicine. Your post has given me renewed hope this could really help me. I am obsessed with getting my weight down to lower my BG. I am over the top obsessed with my BG. I think of little else from morning 'till night. I read countless things to find ways to lower my BG and have Holland and Barrett in my medicine cabinet :lol:

BF you are naughty - but I loves ya! Poor Patch :lol:

Defren

Wednesday April 25 - day 3

Lunch
Pre BG 5.5 + 2 hours 5.5

Dinner
Pre BG 5.2 + 2 hours 5.8

Supper 5.1 + 2 hours 5.3

Fluid
Water 3L
Tea - black 3 cups

Exercise
30 minutes on the treadmill.

Verdict after day 3.

Again, no problems. Feeling tired but that is due to a restless night (not connected to the diet, just my usual obsession and worry about my BG. I seemed to be really worrying about if this doesn't work. I am not interested in anything but getting a lower and sustainable BG and the worry kept me from sleeping. I was tired when I woke up, so have felt a little sleepy all day).
If my post supper BG is in the 5's this will be the very first day ever I have had fives across the board, so really excited about my post supper reading. I am finding when I do my prick test I am bleeding much easier and for longer than I would normally. I also found that today when I took the top off my multi vit container the smell made me gag. This has not happened before and may or may not be related to the diet, but it happened so I am sharing. I am also finding that I am just drinking like a fish. While we are supposed to drink extra, I am drinking loads extra, so added to my treadmill I am adding 10 miles back and forward to the loo. :lol:

On a rather funny but positive note (this may be a little TMI so perhaps you may want to skip this bit). I was on the treadmill this morning. Now you have to bear in mind I suffer with AJ arthritis so have to keep the house warm to keep my joints ok. I went on the treadmill and was wearing only a tee shirt and pants, the entire time I was walking I had to hold my drawers up or there was a serious risk they were going to end up round my ankles. So the weight, and bulk is certainly going.

Confession

I was going crazy last night, needing something to chew, no hunger at all, but an overwhelming need to have some food in my mouth and chew, so I had 1 stick of celery. No effects, but I am going to keep my diary of this as real and honest as I can. Nothing hidden and no secret anythings.

I'm really surprised the days are going so quickly and this is turning out to be really quite easy. I just hope it continues.

[edit to add] First day of across the board 5's. I am thrilled to bit, over the moon and well... just a little bit excited :lol:

louiseb

Defren said:
ButtercupDaisy said:

Hi BD, I 'think' I am the first woman on the forum to try it (apologies if I have this wrong). We have a few men here who have tried it with very successful results. There is loads of information on here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23135

sorry Defren your not the first woman to try this diet as I have tryed it, I did try the 800kcal diet but only lasted 5 weeks I needed to loose 26 pounds to achieve a normal healthy BMI, I lost 27 pounds in the 5 weeks I found the diet difficult but managed to stick to it. I didnt carry on after 5 weeks as I didnt want to loose any further weight.

Btw where are you getting your atkins shakes boots have a really good offer on at the minute for the ready made shakes.

Defren

louiseb said:
Defren said:
ButtercupDaisy said:

sorry Defren your not the first woman to try this diet as I have tryed it, but only stuck at for about 5 weeks as I didnt want to loose anymore weight.
I just didnt start my own thread I merely made a few posts on others threads.

Btw where are you getting your atkins shakes boots have a really good offer on at the minute for the ready made shakes.

Sorry Louise, I didn't realise you had done it too. So obviously you found it really good for weight loss? I am convinced when my weight comes down my BG will as well. I bought my initial shakes from the LCM but then saw the offer at boots so bought more shake powder and ready made from Boots. It makes me laugh how there can be such a big difference in price. I buy the 6 packs and they were so much cheaper at Boots. Boots also delivered a lot quicker as well, so will be getting all my Atkins from there from now on.

louiseb

No need to apologise and if my memory serves me right viv also attempted the shake diet.

My bg fasting numbers are around about the same now as what they were before I started the diet apart from my hba1c which went up from in the mid 4's to 5.1. I think the reason for the increase was because I stopped all meds.

However im happy with my Hba1c being 5.1 so for me it was a success as not only did I loose weight but im now just diet controlled with no meds.

Defren

louiseb said:
No need to apologise and if my memory serves me right viv also attempted the shake diet.

My bg fasting numbers are around about the same now as what they were before I started the diet apart from my hba1c which went up from in the mid 4's to 5.1. I think the reason for the increase was because I stopped all meds.

However im happy with my Hba1c being 5.1 so for me it was a success as not only did I loose weight but im now just diet controlled with no meds.

That's brilliant Louise, if I could get to that point I would be happy (I think). To be honest I am not sure what has to happen for me to be truly happy, but that would be a really good start.

andrewk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)

Defren said:
To be honest I am not sure what has to happen for me to be truly happy, but that would be a really good start.

I think I'd be truly happy if I could overcome the Dawn Phenomenon problem and get my fasting BG (about 6.7) down to the same level as my bedtime BG (about 5.2).

Andrew