ND done, 5:2 fast didnt work now ND with a twist

Grazer

Re: A Geordie trying the Newcastle Diet

Go For it Defren and good luck. Will you still be taking stuff for your Vitamin d deficiency?

Defren

Grazer said:
Go For it Defren and good luck. Will you still be taking stuff for your Vitamin d deficiency?

Thanks Grazer.

Oh yeah. I have Holland and Barret here with all the supplements I take :lol: I take Vit D in a spray also take Vit B12. Loads of energy these days :D

Upped treadmill by 0.5km. Ouch!! The 4 has spurred me on so much.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

Defren said:
OMG I got a 4!!!! I have never had a 4 BG before. Pre dinner reading 4.9. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

Good when that happens isn't it :clap:

Defren

xyzzy said:
Defren said:
OMG I got a 4!!!! I have never had a 4 BG before. Pre dinner reading 4.9. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

Good when that happens isn't it :clap:

Thank you. :mrgreen: <--- huge grin.

REALLY good. But, you know what they say, nothing worth having comes easy. My body is seriously being pushed further than it has in over a decade, and I feel great.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

That is great reading..i bet you are chuffed....me jealous :p happy for you girl!!!

mflan

good luck

Defren said:
I start the Newcastle diet on Monday. I will be using Atkins shakes as they are lower carbs. I have started this today, because I plan to get myself into a good mindset over the weekend. I can't manage breakfast no matter how I try, so I am going to have a shake for lunch, dinner and supper.

I did plan to do the diet with no exercise as my mobility is bad, but Geordie convinced me exercise is also key to helping BG so I bought a treadmill which arrived yesterday. I plan on one hour a day, spread over the day, and just very gentle walking. I managed 40 mins yesterday, so far today I am giving it the evil eye :lol:

While looking forward to the drop in BG I am worried about not having real food. I believe this passes after a few days, so fingers crossed. I will give daily accounts of how I progress, and if anyone has any comments I would be pleased to hear them. I don't want criticism, I am a big girl who has read a lot, and made a very careful and calculated choice. This is not a decision I have taken lightly or without a great deal of thought and consideration. However as much support as possible will be very welcome :lol:

No breakfast today
Lunch a shake
Dinner will be a proper dinner

Same tomorrow, then Monday full throttle.

Wish me luck :D
:clap:

Defren

Thank you mflan.

Weird day today, went out for lunch, stared at the meals and panicked!! I have never panicked before, but all I could see was sugar sky high and staying there. So... didn't eat anything. Came home and had an Atkins shake, how sad is that?

Exercise is tough today, my motivations seems to have worn it's self out :lol: I will do my daily amount, but with anything but pleasure and enthusiasm today.

Due to weird day, have not had dinner yet. With it being my last solid meal for a while, I want something really nice, but A. I'm not hungry, and B. Have no idea what I want - sigh!

Roll on tomorrow, meal choices will be vastly reduced and no washing up!! :lol:

A

Anonymous

I am sorry it went wrong. You need to forward plan the date with your man at the end of the ND. You can`t be going home un fed :(

If in doubt have a nice juicy steak. :D

Defren

Jeannemum said:
I am sorry it went wrong. You need to forward plan the date with your man at the end of the ND. You can`t be going home un fed :(

If in doubt have a nice juicy steak. :D

He laughed at me :( Told me I was a crazy lady and he's right :lol: I will get myself sorted out, one of those bridges that needs to be crossed and I will :D

I have steak in freezer by the cow load, but it's frozen :( I need to eat the fresh in the fridge, so will mooch and find something nice.

Defren

Ok, I'm off and running. I weighed myself this morning, and will put weight loss or gain up each Monday. I am not putting my weight up, even if I am rather proud of it :lol: Once I am done I might if it's good then you can work out how heavy I am, if you really want to be nosy :lol:

Will do all my BG figures once a day.

The shakes: They are easy to make up, I bought a proper Atkins shaker thing with the little spring thing inside that helps mix the powder. I have just realised, after hunting every site I could find, the tins only come in two flavours. I have ordered some Atkins ready made shakes now to add some variety. They taste ok, but do leave a slight powdery after taste, not particularly unpleasant, but not the best either. They are filling, and although for around 5 minutes afterwards you do still feel hungry, suddenly the hunger pang is gone, and you feel quite full. My verdict, wish they didn't have the after taste, but in general, are fine.

I will also be drinking a minimum of 2l of water a day, to stay hydrated. I drink black tea anyway, and as I can't drink plain water add a small amount of squash. Tea is 2 calories a cup, squash 3, so will still be well under the 600 calories a day, and the tea and squash will be my only other intake other than the shakes for the time I am doing the diet.

So far so good.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have been thinking of you and sending good vibes this morning whilst I was at Hospital. Regarding the powdery aftertaste, try shaking the mix a bit longer and you may find the powdery aftertaste is reduced. I remember the same happening when I first started mixing my Slimfast during one of my unsuccessful dieting periods.

(Silver lining time. Thank goodness I got diabetes and discovered low carbing. Roll on the healthier me.)

Defren

catza said:
I have been thinking of you and sending good vibes this morning whilst I was at Hospital. Regarding the powdery aftertaste, try shaking the mix a bit longer and you may find the powdery aftertaste is reduced. I remember the same happening when I first started mixing my Slimfast during one of my unsuccessful dieting periods.

(Silver lining time. Thank goodness I got diabetes and discovered low carbing. Roll on the healthier me.)

Snap, I was thinking of you today too, how did it go? I must admit being somewhat smaller will be nice, and for us it's just an added bonus of having healthier bodies.

The dinner shake I really gave hell. I have the proper Atkins shaker with the metal spring to help mix, it was better. I had vanilla for dinner, and it doesn't taste too bad either. Not quite on par with steak and salad, but not too unpalatable :lol:

Oh believe me tree peony, I will hide nothing, you really will get chapter and verse from me. I am doing this as an experiment for me, but hoping my experiences will help others, so no use hiding the bad bits.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My hospital visit was about as expected. I have AIHA and seem to spend a lot of time waiting around the Path Lab to see if my Consultant Haematologist is happy with my various blood levels and tests. LOL between the tests there and the testing I now do at home I shall be running low on blood soon.

Defren

catza said:
My hospital visit was about as expected. I have AIHA and seem to spend a lot of time waiting around the Path Lab to see if my Consultant Haematologist is happy with my various blood levels and tests. LOL between the tests there and the testing I now do at home I shall be running low on blood soon.

Oh heck that's no good, you will have concentrated sugar then :lol: Glad it went well, that's brilliant news.

Defren

Monday April 23 - day 1

Lunch
Pre BG 6.0 + 2 hours 6.5

Dinner
Pre BG 6.0 + 2 hours 6.1

Supper 5.8 + 2 hours 5.6

Fluid
Water 2.5L
Tea - black 2 cups

Exercise
I have done no exercise today, but that was deliberate. I wanted to know what my body felt like today with just shakes. Tomorrow I will start gentle exercise now I know I feel fine.

I am now assured of at least three weeks of this, as I have just ordered week 3's shakes :lol:

Verdict after day one: The shakes are fine, I shall be pleased when the ready mixed ones arrive, just to add variety, but these are fine until then. I feel fine, the only hunger pangs are when a shake is due, so that's good. No craving for any solid food today either. Due to amount of water I am drinking I am never off the loo, but that is only to be expected. So far, so good.

[edit to add exercise]

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I will follow your journey closley Def... cause I might give it a try.. I did mention it to my boyfriend and i do not think he was too pleased as it does not sound like a healthy way of doing things to him....

Defren

claymic said:
I will follow your journey closley Def... cause I might give it a try.. I did mention it to my boyfriend and i do not think he was too pleased as it does not sound like a healthy way of doing things to him....

This is a diet devised by a University Doctor, and also things like the Cambridge diet are the same kind of calories at the beginning. I really can understand his concern, my fiance and my family did raise an eyebrow when I mentioned it, but after they read the available information were ok with it, as long as I was completely honest about how I felt and agreed to come of it if I felt ill or had any nasty symptoms. I have agreed to that, so here I am :D