ND done, 5:2 fast didnt work now ND with a twist

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I would enjoy doing a weekly change of diet but I am doing one day shakes/one day normal food at the moment and its working well. Fits is nicely with my weekly schedule and if not I just substitute on days where I need to be able to have a meal out but am due to have a shake. My bloods stay in the 5's and I have now lost more than 90lbs so I guess it is working for me.

I found whey protein a while back, am addicted to a Chocolate version, and now buy it in bulk so it works out at about 32p a meal inc p&p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey_protein

This is the firm I use and have found them to be very good.
http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/im ... ey_protein

Defren

I love my family dearly, but since I was ill, they are keeping wrapped in cotton wool with a ton of bubble wrap. It's driving me crazy as I am fine now, but I have to take on board their concerns. They want me to do one day on, one day off. I want to do weekly, but the odds at the moment are against me. :lol:

[edit to add] The protein shakes look great, but I prefer the meal replacements as they have all the vitamins and minerals I need, and when it comes to protein in my diet I much prefer a hunk of steak. :lol: Thank you though, maybe once I get to maintenance I will give 'em a go.

Defren

My youngest daughter finally said something that made me decide what I was going to do. It's her birthday on Thursday, and she said "if you do a week of shakes, you will miss my birthday". She will be 13, so it's a very special birthday and she wants me to make a low carb cake so I can share it too. How could I possibly have shakes on her birthday? I couldn't, so alternate day shakes starting tomorrow. I am psyched up and ready to start this, so fingers crossed THIS has some effects, unlike 5:2 fasting!

Defren

Day one back on shakes started with a positive. I have dropped another 2lbs so am now just one and a half stone away from my goal weight. As I posted I reached normal BMI the 11/2 stone is my own personal "I want to be that weight" goal, and will take me to around the middle of a normal BMI rather than at the high end as I am now.

Shake one was Atkins 3g carbs. Dinner will be a Slim and save shake 13g carbs and supper another Atkins 3g carbs, so total carb intake on shake days will be 19g. I am not testing BG today, but yesterday I did a few to see how I was going into this, and I am back to my safe low figures I like.

Today, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday are shake days this week, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday next.

[edit to add] Day one went pretty smoothly, although I did feel more hungry than I can remember when I did the ND properly last time. I did go to bed with a growling tummy, but soon fell asleep. I did decide to check my BG last night, and +2 hours after my last shake I was 5.5. No major reduction is my usual numbers, but I didn't really expect any, not on the first day.

Today (Tuesday) is normal food, shakes again tomorrow. So far I have not felt the desire to eat more than I would normally, which was the same result I had with 5:2 fasting. For me it seems, a day of calorie restriction, is not a trigger for more food the following day.

Defren

Shake day done, it was easier today than Monday, it feels more like when I was doing the ND properly. No hunger pangs, and I feel really good.

Today's shakes; Shake 1; Atkins 3g carbs, shake 2; Slim and save 13g carbs, shake 3; Atkins 3g carbs, so total carbs 19g.

Tomorrow is my daughters birthday, so calories and carbs are going to be higher, but I will be having severely restricted portion sizes so I can share everything with her, but keep as tight a reign as possible. No testing, I need to be able to be mom for the day, not Jo the diabetic.

Defren

catza said:
Have a lovely day tomorrow Jo. :)

Thanks Jo, daughter is a very happy young lady today, and I have another couple of surprises for her later. Busy baking, so she can have a yummy tea tonight, this for me is going to be a serious lesson in restraint as it all smells lovely.

Defren

I am doing shakes today, but it's going to have to be the last day. I am dropping weight too fast, and I'm concerned. Since Monday I have dropped 6lb this is not a healthy way to go, when I have so little left to lose now. I truly had no idea this would happen, and on my non shake days I have been eating normally, yesterday I didn't even add up my calories as I knew they would be high, yet the weight is still dropping like a stone. I think it's time to put these diets and fasting behind me, and from now on just have the healthy diet I usually have.

Added to the weight loss I have dropped two dress sizes in two weeks, it's just not healthy to lose as much as quickly.

I'm sorry for stopping this experiment as quickly as I have, but I won't risk my health!

Jo.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jo you have to look after yourself.

In the beginning you decided that you were going to find a way to control your diabetes as that was the biggest threat to your long term health. You have achieved that aim. You have complied the tools to give yourself the best dang chance for a healthy future and you owe no one any apologies for not continuing any course of action not in your best interests.

<<<<hugs>>>>> from the 'other' Jo.