ND done, 5:2 fast didnt work now ND with a twist

Defren

Re: Newcastle Diet done, now 5:2 fasting

Yesterday's fast went ok. I was hungry off and on during the day, but nothing major. Calories were 261 and 11g of carbs. BG was at the lower end of my normal at around 5.2 so no sudden drops that I saw yesterday. Fasting again next Tuesday.

stevolution

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Defren!

I finally got around to reading the full text of the Newcastle study and now understand the relationship between it and helping to restore pancreas function to a lesser or greater degree. I wish I'd fully understood it months ago, and been less cynical as I'm now convinced that the symptoms it helps to alleviate are what's stopping me from losing fat and preventing me from getting any energy from my food. :shock:

Regardless, I start tomorrow with the support of my dietician. Thanks so much for your tenacity and enthusiasm. It's been ticking over in my mind for months every time I got disheartened. Here's to new doors opening!

:D Steve

Defren

stevolution said:
Hi Defren!

I finally got around to reading the full text of the Newcastle study and now understand the relationship between it and helping to restore pancreas function to a lesser or greater degree. I wish I'd fully understood it months ago, and been less cynical as I'm now convinced that the symptoms it helps to alleviate are what's stopping me from losing fat and preventing me from getting any energy from my food. :shock:

Regardless, I start tomorrow with the support of my dietician. Thanks so much for your tenacity and enthusiasm. It's been ticking over in my mind for months every time I got disheartened. Here's to new doors opening!

:D Steve

:thumbup: Glad I could help. I am 5:2 fasting now, like I said on another thread, I have an enquiring mind, and just have to know if these things work.

Take care - Joanna.

Defren

Tuesday fasting almost done. Calories today 457 including just 9g of carbs. Not tested today, so no idea of BG tomorrow will be a better indication.

Defren

Today marks the end of my second week of fasting two days a week. I have in the main found it pretty easy, although I do sometimes feel hungry. I have designated Tuesday's and Thursday's as fast days, and it all fits in quite well. My figures and generally down around .5mmol/L but I am not attributing it all to fasting as the heat did seem to push me up by about the same margin. My weight seems to be on a downward path, my clothing is finally beginning to get a little looser around the middle. As an apple shape, I have found that trying to shift my 'round the middle' weight almost impossible, but, it does seem to be moving. I have a wardrobe full of clothes in the next size down, but won't try them on just yet, not being able to do up zips is just too frustrating. I do feel confident that by Christmas at the latest I will get them on. :lol:

Today's stats: Calories 354 carbs 9g.

I do make sure I still have my five a day, today it was six. I had five (small) portions of veg, and I have pure lemon juice in my chai tea. :D

Defren

I've been thinking about this fasting I am doing in terms of BG control. Since I began my BG levels have dropped slightly, they were low and stable anyway. I have come to the conclusion, when I don't fast my carbs are usually around the 25-30g mark, I don't really tolerate any higher than that. When I fast, my carb count drops to around 8-15g of carbs. So... I think that slowly my body is accepting a mixed bag of carbs, and tolerating the non fasting days better? I have not dropped by huge amounts, but around .3 mmol/l. This is working the same for fast days as non fast days, so I have an all round lower figure. My highest BG would be 6.0, I don't ever see higher than 5.7, with a usual figure of 5.5. Will it reduce further? No idea, but am very curious to see.

Beginning of fast week 3

Tuesdays calories: 384 carbs today: 12

Five lots of veg with some smoked haddock.

Defren

I have finished fasting for this week. Today I have drunk more than usual, but I'm sure the extra intake of water and green chai tea (with added pure lemon juice) won't do me any harm at all.

Today has been easier than previous fasting days. I finally think my body is getting used to this new lifestyle. I am really happy with the results, lower BG on average down by around .3.

Today's calories: 456 Carbs: 11g

Five lots of veg and a sublime lump of organic rump steak (and they call this a diet :lol: ).

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Do you count water on the fasting days? I'm sure I'd end up drinking 3L+ on those days. I would assume that would be a good thing? Less food in your stomach + lots of cold water SHOULD be a good way to flush out your guts?

So steak w/5 veg counts as a fasting day, eh? That is good to know!

I've got a nice rib-eye steak tomorrow night with cottage cheese and home made tomatoe sauce. (Commando Diet style!).

I've been trying Morrisons meat lately, and I've gotta say - their rib-eye steak beats Asda/Sainsburys/Tecos hands down. :thumbup:

Defren

Patch said:
Do you count water on the fasting days? I'm sure I'd end up drinking 3L+ on those days. I would assume that would be a good thing? Less food in your stomach + lots of cold water SHOULD be a good way to flush out your guts?

So steak w/5 veg counts as a fasting day, eh? That is good to know!

I've got a nice rib-eye steak tomorrow night with cottage cheese and home made tomatoe sauce. (Commando Diet style!).

I've been trying Morrisons meat lately, and I've gotta say - their rib-eye steak beats Asda/Sainsburys/Tecos hands down. :thumbup:

Water is really important, and you can drink as much of it as you like, along with black tea. I drink green chai tea and add pure lemon juice which is another one of my five a day even on fasting days.

I can send you a link for organic meat that will blow you away. I get all my organic fruit, veg, meat, dairy, herbs, and even bakery items from them. I don't eat the bakery items, but am reliably informed they are 'the best'. I would post the link but not sure if I am allowed, but will in box it if you're interested.

500 calories allowed for a woman on fasting days, slightly more for men.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

If I could afford organic meat, I'd buy it exclusively. But do send me the link anyway. Cheers!

Defren

I am really pleased, although not testing often like I used to, I have found that every test I have done, no matter the time or how long before/after a meal are all 5.5 or lower. Before the fasting, my highest (not including my holiday tests) were all 6.0 or under. So, the 5:2 fasting after just three weeks seems to have knocked my BG down on average .5. I think from Monday, I will test like I used to and see how they do properly checked, but I am a very, very happy bunny!

Oh as an aside, yesterday my carb intake was 41g this is the highest carb day I have had since I began logging my results on Sunday 1st April. My BG? Under 5.5 - result!!

andrene64

Dislikes
many things

Enjoying reading your previous posts with interest re the 5:2 fasting diet. Thats what Im trying to do and have been for 6 weeks now.

Had a few hickups but on the whole I feel very good more alert more energy joint pain gone and Iv lost just over a stone.
For me no negatives.
I do one day at the weekend when i work a heavy shift and that keep my mind occupied but for some reason because I know this is a fasting day I dont argue with myself and desire food I just get the head down and get on with it. I do a week mid week but leave it flexable depending on my shift patterns.

What I have noticed is I now know after years of abusing food that I am aware when I am actually hungry or when I just want to put something in my mouth (habit) a fantastic revalation for me as I have very much lost that ability.

I like you want to bring the BG down and the doc has given me 3 months to do so or she is gonna try and get me to take meds. I dont get strips from my doc so Im doing fasting for 3 months and i want to go back and to blow there socks off with my results if it is in fact still possible to control my BG and I have not let it go too far.

After watching the program about fasting there are so many other benefits from fasting ie, cells repairing themselfs I do intend to make this a life style change.

I would like to join you here and post my findngs while fasting if thats ok with you

A x

Defren

Yes, that's absolutely fine with me. With two of us posting results it will be interesting to see the comparisons or similarities. I fast Tuesday's and Thursday's. One other tool I use that really does help is a food diary. I log everything here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ My user name is Defren if you want to sign up, it's all free, and seeing what other people have in their diaries can really help.

I look forward to seeing your results. - Jo.

On a personal note I am GUTTED!! I was so sure I would have hit the normal BMI range this week, but I am 2.5lbs over, so still in the overweight bracket. It has given me the motivation to lose a lot this week and get into the normal range. Still feel really gutted though.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ah Jo, don't beat yourself up. You will loose those last few lbs and will have the rest of your life to enjoy the satisfaction of having done so. An extra week or so isn't going to matter a toss in the long run and my posting the Ra Ra Girls celebratory dance can wait until you get there. :)

Defren

catza said:
Ah Jo, don't beat yourself up. You will loose those last few lbs and will have the rest of your life to enjoy the satisfaction of having done so. An extra week or so isn't going to matter a toss in the long run and my posting the Ra Ra Girls celebratory dance can wait until you get there. :)

Thanks Jo, I know you're right. The one positive is, I am now a pound lighter then when I went on holiday. I know I must have added a few pounds at least then, so to see it coming off and being lighter is bonus. I just wanna be normal BMI :lol: It's my own fault really. I was having trouble reaching a sensible calorie goal each day, so I baked. I made coconut and blueberry squares, and then ate far too many :oops: I got to my calorie goal though, and a bit.. well maybe more than a bit over, as they are so yummy, but really calorie dense. :lol: Low carb bread rolls are another downfall, and I made those too, so completely my own doing.

Keep waving those pom poms girl. I am determined to be there next week. :D

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

Defren said:
On a personal note I am GUTTED!! I was so sure I would have hit the normal BMI range this week, but I am 2.5lbs over, so still in the overweight bracket. It has given me the motivation to lose a lot this week and get into the normal range. Still feel really gutted though.

Isn't it just so **** frustrating! I plateau'd for around 3 weeks at a BMI of 25.1 but in the end got there as will you so don't be too down.

Defren

xyzzy said:
Defren said:

Isn't it just so **** frustrating! I plateau'd for around 3 weeks at a BMI of 25.1 but in the end got there as will you so don't be too down.

I'm glad I have this thread as a subscribed one, I was going to go to bed and sulk. Ok, maybe not quite that bad, but I agree, the frustration is really bad. The truth is Steve, since diagnosis everything I have done (luckily) has worked just how I wanted it to. I got my BG under control quite quickly, my GP supported me doing the ND and the results were amazing, and now the 5:2 fasting also seems to be going my way. So, I suppose I have got used to getting things done as I want them, and my body is teaching me just who really is boss around here. :lol:

It took several months to work out the kind of calories I need to steadily lose a couple of pound a week. If I eat lower than that (fasting days don't seem to have impacted this much) then I don't lose. Eat to many calories and I don't lose, but 1,500 five days a week and I lose really well. On reflection I was never going to make the normal BMI this week, as my losses are not as large as they would have to have been for me to reach my goal. So, this week I plan to trim things very slightly, maybe 100 - 150 calories a day, and on fasting days keep them as low as possible. I have learned that I can have a chicken salad or a fillet of fresh fish with salad and be as full as I am with a portion of red meat and veg. I am also trying to get my ratio of carbs, fat and protein on a better keel. With 1g of protein required for ever 10kg of weight, I am eating too much protein. A typical example was dinner tonight. I had 100g of organic rump steak, now really I need to have just over half. My problem is, I love steak and lamb and have them often, but once I see how much over gram for gram I am eating, I say s*d it, I'm low in carbs. Not good :thumbdown: So, I am now going to focus on my protein and see where that gets me. There is also the added benefit of lower protein that was explained in "eat, fast, live longer". So, time to up the fats again, keep the carbs as I have them now and lower the protein. I will let you know how I get on. :lol:

[edit to add] If any one has not seen the eat, fast and live longer documentary so have no idea what I'm waffling on about, here it is:

[youtube]Pfna7nV7WaM[/youtube]

Defren

Fasting again tomorrow, the fourth week of IF. After whining on here this morning about missing my goal target, I am over calories again today :oops: However, I have now polished off the last of the cake I made, so can't go over any more, and I refuse to bake for me, until I get to target. I have a nice piece of smoked haddock for tomorrow which I will have with salad. I think it works out at less than 300 calories, so will be under the allowed for a fasting day by some 200 calories, that is very easily doable. I have tested my BG a bit today, and will all this week, so far it's holding as steady as it usually does, with a mild spike after dinner, which was what I would have expected. I did get a shock after the cake which I made and is low carb, well it would be low carb in sensible amounts, I didn't 'do' sensible :oops: so got a deserved 6 which is really unusual for me, I never usually go above 5.5-5.6 well that'll teach me, greedy mare! :lol: