ND done, 5:2 fast didnt work now ND with a twist

Defren

Re: Newcastle Diet done, now 5:2 fasting

I did stick to the smoked haddock, but its so cold and flippin' miserable I gave the salad a miss and had pointed cabbage, cauliflower, green beans, sprouts and creamed leeks.

Total daily calorie intake 348 with 11g of carbs. Good day, pleased with that.

BG stable, it will drop later, but holding figures are as I would expect, between 5.2 and 5.5. I didn't do FBG - I forgot. :oops:

Defren

catmiaow111 said:
How is the diet going? I need something drastic to start me off.

Which one, the Newcastle diet or the 5:2 fasting? Either way, read this thread, it's all there.

Yesterday although I did fast, I am writing off. My calories and carbs are as above, I only had the one allowed meal, but due to stress re flooding my BG was all over. Unbelievably for me, I saw a 6.3, I have not had a six in months apart from when I was on holiday, and the 9 was my own fault. :oops: Usually I don't ever see higher than 5.6 but I really was stressed. So, although I will have benefited from lower calories, my BG was awful. Thursday is next fast day, lets hope things are calmer.

Defren

Thursday fasting done. I have tried to keep the calories and carbs really low today, as to be honest, I am not really seeing the kind of results I would have liked and maybe I expected. Yes, my BG has reduced on average by around .2mmol/l but for the effort is it really worth it? I have decided to carry on until I have my next HbA1c but if there is no improvement, I'm done. I will carry on if the improvement is in cholesterol or BG (don't think I will better 4.9 to be honest).

Calories today: 320 carbs 8g

Sardine salad, with one organic hard boiled egg.

Defren

I've done it!! I really have done it. Today I hit normal BMI

I knew I had to lose 2.5lb I actually lost 3lb. I got on and off and on and off the scales this morning. I checked and triple checked, and yes, I've done it. Thrilled isn't the word. I bet I have not been normal BMI for at least 15-20 years, but I am now! YES!!!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

YAY! So proud of you. You should make a point of spending this afternoon being rude to fat people on the bus :)

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As promised here come the girls. :-

Mauridia_26.gif
Mauridia_33.gif
Mauridia_26.gif
Mauridia_33.gif
Mauridia_26.gif

Well done Jo, I bet your face aches from having had such a big grin. :)

Defren

What a nerve you have Stephen, you wanted me chased from the forum because now I don't have sweet blood and my cholesterol is normal :lol: Thanks BOB, you know who I credit for all I have achieved.

Thanks Jo anna. I can't stop smiling, I am so thrilled. It has taken me 7 months to do this, and I really have worked hard, so today meant the world to me. (((Jo to Jo))).

Defren

Meal for my first 5:2 fast this week had. I have kept calories and carbs really low. I am feeling quite dejected with this fasting lark, as the results are really not what I had hoped for. Anyway, I said I would carry on until my next HbA1c, and so I shall.

Tuna mayo salad. Calories 295 carbs 5g.

Defren

Fasting for this week finished, so I have now completed 5 weeks. I don't feel any different, weight is coming off at the rate it was before fasting, so I can only hope things internally are a bit better, or why am I doing this?

Calories today: 361 14g of carbs. My coffee is around 2 extra calories a cup and I have had three, water no added calories and I have had loads.

Defren

Another pound gone this week. I won't be fasting this week at all. As I am feeling a little under the weather, I have had to promise my family I won't, and to be honest, I don't think it would be the best idea, so next Tuesday all being well will be my next fast.

Sparklygal

Hey Drefen, just caught up with your diary. Congrats on reaching normal BMI! You shoule be so proud of your achievement. :mrgreen:

Defren

Sparklygal said:
Hey Drefen, just caught up with your diary. Congrats on reaching normal BMI! You shoule be so proud of your achievement. :mrgreen:

Thank you SG, I appreciate your words. It is nice to be normal BMI. I seriously couldn't tell you when I last had 25 BMI, but it must be at least 10-15 years ago.

Defren

Thanks to another member here sharing this link: http://www.paleoforwomen.com/category/fasting/ I have decided to stop the 5:2 fasting. I have been feeling quite disappointed with the results - externally and BG wise anyway. Of course I can't tell if it has made any internal difference, but either way it's time to stop.

I plan on taking some time to decide what I am going to do. I have read so much, and learned heaps since my diagnosis, but I feel I need to put the brakes on for a while and with my family, look at what I am going to do. I need a long term plan, and obviously you can't do that without a great deal of research and mind/soul searching, so that is what I am going to do. Until I make any further decisions, then there is no need for me to keep this thread going. If I can help with the Newcastle diet or 5:2 fasting, don't hesitate to ask.

Defren

Back to the ND - but slightly different

I have ordered shakes, and am going to do the ND again, but not quite the same as before. I plan alternative weeks, so it will go like this:

Week 1 - shakes only
Week 2 - steamed veg and fruit only
Week 3 - shakes only
week 4 - steamed veg and fruit only

I am not sure how long I plan to do this for, I think I will see what kind of results I get then decide if it's going to be a long term or short term plan. The shakes should be here tomorrow, so it's likely I will do a shorter week, but start tomorrow. This should be interesting!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Good Luck Defren ... I've used shakes in the past and had good weight loss results with them and if I could find a decent one that didn't cause me tummy issues I'd be on them again right now. I think they're brilliant. I loved not having to shop, cook or think about food for a while plus I felt really well nourished and wasn't hungry, but couldn't deal with the tum issues.

You've just reminded me, I've got one of those vibrator machines that you stand on and it shakes the life out of you and tones you up from head to toe while you watch Emmerdale and Corrie. :lol:

I bought it a few years ago and used it for a while, and it's really really good for toning you up, I felt noticable strength in my otherwise very weak leg muscles almost immediately. I had to stop using it because I had problems with my toes and feet for a while and I shoved it in the cupboard under the stairs.

I'm going to drag it out later and get on it tonight for 15 mins while I'm watching the goings on in Emmerdale. :D
# :thumbup:

Defren

I'm struggling with food at the moment so shakes are going to give me more calories. I found the ND really quite easy last time, how I will get on this time I have no idea. I plan to speak with my GP and tell him what is going on, as I know I am still not feeling right. I am hoping the lower carbs, but higher calories will make a difference, we shall see. Last time I lost around 50lbs on the ND, I have nowhere near that to lose now, so am going to play this one by ear (weight).

I have a treadmill sitting right beside me, and an exercise bike the other side, while a stepper sits on the floor beside the treadmill. I do use them, but have been slacking a bit the last 3-4 weeks, I wonder if that is also part of my problems? We shall see.

Defren

Day one done. I really had forgotten what an all shake diet was like. :lol:

I have run into a problem straight away. The shakes I am using this time are higher carb than Atkins, consequently my BG is higher than I am happy with. I have ordered some Atkins shakes both the vanilla and chocolate, so will have 2 Atkins shakes a day, one S&S. Unfortunately they won't be here until the weekend, so am quitting this week until the Atkins shakes arrive. It will also mean I start doing a full week rather than a shortened week.

I will begin to update my diary next week once I have the lower carb shakes.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will be interested to see how your figures go on this new regime Jo. Hopefully you will start to feel more in control of your health as well.

Good luck for next week.

Jo.

Defren

catza said:
I will be interested to see how your figures go on this new regime Jo. Hopefully you will start to feel more in control of your health as well.

Good luck for next week.

Jo.

Thanks Jo. I will post results, but not like when I did the ND properly, a bit more spaced out I think. I had fingers like tea bags.

My Atkins shakes arrived today, so I am all set for Monday. I am wondering if it might be worth one day ND One day veg, rather than a week shakes, a week veg. I have the weekend to think about it, as It will absolutely be shakes on Monday.

Jo