1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Need advice about E-cigarettes - I am type 1

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Callum1997T1, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Callum1997T1

Callum1997T1 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi all, I am 19 and type 1 I was diagnosed 6 months ago and I am wanting to quit smoking.

I am wanting to use an ecig (electronic cigarette) But I dont know if it will affect my blood glucose etc.

Can someone advise me if its safe for me to use? I smoke so many fags a day and I wanting to use this to quit and focus more on my diabetes control.

Thank you all

2. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

@Callum1997T1 I can't answer your question but would you like me to amend your thread title so that it includes what you're asking advice about?

3. Callum1997T1

Callum1997T1 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi, yes please that would be great. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Done :) Hopefully that will catch people's eye better :)

5. Johnjoe13

Johnjoe13 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Callum, as a former regular smoker I just wanted to say good luck with this. I gave up Oct 16 and went cold Turkey after an unsuccessful trial with vaping. I found these e-cigs gave me terrible sinus problems which in the end made me go back to the cigs. Stick with it though and if vaping will get you off them then give it a try, because I've realised that inhaling cigarette smoke has only one consequence, and that's poor health years down the line. I thinks its good that you have made this choice while you are still young

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Vejovis

Vejovis Type 2 · Member

I am a smoking cessation practitioner, I have not read anything substantial regarding ecigs and diabetes. As far as I'm aware no major studies have been done.

Ecigs are better than smoking as far as we know, but there are more tried and tested methods of giving up.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

8. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Please be aware that any person with COPD should NOT vape..

It is a wet replacement going into lungs and really is not recommended.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I will agree with that statement, @donnellysdogs I gave up smoking cold turkey.

10. donnellysdogs

Got told this by a friend who is a smoking cessation lady about COPD. Had a friend whose partner had COPD and decided to vape instead of getting NHS help to quit. Friend/smoke advisor begged me to tell friend that hospitals dont like COPD and ecigs...:

11. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

There's a total ban on smoking in Queensland hospitals which includes eciggies, while you are in and on hospital property. This includes the footpath outside the hospital entrance and car park.

• Like Like x 1
  12. donnellysdogs

Please go to a smoking cessation counsellor thru ur GP... they can help more than ecigs...

13. MH2010

MH2010 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have started vaping not too long ago and it has had no changes in levels at all.

I will say though, be careful what vapes you buy and where from.

I have started on ones with tobacco and plan on using them for a month or 2 before movig to the ones with no nucotine.

Not going to happen overbight but should be total smoke free before Xmas.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do :)

14. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Switched to vaping and have been tobacco free for 2 years. I am just doing the final transition to no nicotine right now. No problems, no moods, and no weight gain. It has no effect on my BG.

15. pleinster

pleinster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just a wee motivational dunt... when I stopped smoking about 4 years ago (after deciding not to let the nicotine deliver system manufacturer's get another penny out of me), I bought a brand new car; the monthly payments were about the same as my 30 a day habit. It's near to paid off now. Not smoking is paying off all the time.
    I am applying the same approach to carbohydrates now..why give the manufacturer's your cash?
    those who want to stop will do so in all manner of ways, and good luck to them. I'd suggest you invest in copy of Allen Carr's Easyway - or book a one-day course. I know friends who have had great success with this...and my wife stopped after one read of the book. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook