Type 2 Need help with my diabetes!

wanipuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there I have been type 2 diabetic now for 3 months and iv just started to use the accu check expert kit helps your carb count. So my carb ratio is 1 unit of insulin for every 10g of carbs. I'm currently on metformin max dose 2 tablets twice a day and also novorapid 3 times a day and also Lantus at bedtime. My sugars were like 20-30 but since starting all my medication its now around 10-20 does anyone have any advice about my carb counting or advice to help lower my sugars i also use the cal and carbs book and app and also u enter how much carbs you have had on the meter after a reading and tells u how much insulin to take. really struggling with it all and don't want it to affect me in other ways in the future im only 29 lol

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @wanipuk - sorry I can't help you but I noticed you posted this in the T2 section which is why I looked at it I have tagged mod @Brunneria for you so she can move it to the T1 section where you hopefully get some help :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes now I AM CONFUSED lol didn't read you said you were T2 just looked under your name and saw T1 :banghead:

Reactions: mahola

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @wanipuk

:) just let me know if you would like the thread moved, a i can do that for you.

In the meantime, i will tag in some experienced carb counting insulin users, and they may be able to give you some advice.

@Juicyj @Jaylee @tim2000s @therower @Scott-C

I wonder if there is anyone out there with experience of the accu chek expert kit?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @wanipuk . As a type 1 I wouldn't feel comfortable giving advice on how best for you to improve your control. I wouldn't want to give detrimental advice to you.
I'm certain someone with T2 diabetes on a similar medication regime to yourself will be able to offer advice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi sorry folks i was type 1 but then had tests that said i was actually type 2

If you go to your profile page, in the settings you can change your diabetes status from type 1 to type 2 insulin dependent.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @wanipuk What tests did you have that confirmed your t2 diagnosis ? How was this diagnosis initially picked up ?

Best tips for getting those levels better controlled, firstly record your results, try and eat similar foods at meal times so you can record carb content and insulin taken as well as your Bg results, what would help at the moment is to start to see some patterns with those results, as novorapid lasts up to 4 hours if you test 4 hours later you can then see if your bolus of novorapid worked correctly, otherwise you will need to be taking a correction dose to get your levels down.

Are you in regular contact with a diabetic nurse too, as you will need to check in regularly with them to go through your results and make adjustments to your doses, and also potentially change you carb/insulin ratios throughout the day to match your needs, but also recording results will help them to help you, this is all new so take your time, it will improve.

Reactions: Brunneria