Needing the toilet at night!

D

Deleted member 391597

Hi all,

So my whole life I have never had to use the toilet at night (apart from the later months of my pregnancy - which I think is understandable!)

Anyway, after being diagnosed last week there have been quite a few nights when I am now waking up to go for a wee! This has never happened before, even leading up to diagnosis before I went in to DKA!

So my question is, does this mean I am having high blood glucose levels at night without knowing it? I am testing about 6 times a day and my highest reading yesterday was 9.0 but the rest were under 7.3 at different points of the day. I don't feel thirsty at all and don't really use the toilet much during the day so why is this happening?!

P.S I also take my Lantus injection at 8pm if this makes any difference?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: leslie10152

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Hollieo4 Have you tested your blood sugar in the night? That would be a sensible thing to do :)

It might not be high sugars. I found my bladder was irritable after diagnosis - presumably as a response to the undiagnosed Type 1. So if you rule out high sugars, give it a little time. If it persists, it's worth seeing a doctor to get a UTI ruled out.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I try to be as consistent as possible with the Lantus dose. Within twenty minutes either way of 7:00pm. If I miss that window I sometimes find my reading edging upwards around 5:00-6:00am. If I am too late I can on infrequent occasions go low.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've personally found that once you start treating your diabetes, everything changes. Not just your daily routines and diet, but also the way your body behaves. My inner temperature control has been on the fritz with no signs of stopping (I'm either freezing my butt off or so hot I start feeling sick, and the slightest outdoor temperature changes mess with this a lot), my periods have gone haywire, I sweat buckets with the simplest of activities where before I never would etc.

So far none of this is really any indicator of me doing anything wrong, it's just my body being jarred from however long I was in poor health suddenly becoming healthier. I suspect that if high sugars aren't an issue at night, it could be a UTI like Azure suggested, but this might also just be one of those diabetes things that happen to us once we take back the reigns. Stuff changes, it no longer makes sense, but here we are!

It's worth talking to your healthcare team about it, but I wouldn't worry too much!

Reactions: azure