New to Diabetes Type 1, week 3, Part II Important Research!

Teravoc

So folks,

Its been three weeks now and how many mistakes and fun times ive had. I still see my having diabetes as really more of an advantage then a disadvantage. I know everyone proberbly disagrees with me, on the point its an illness and all illness is bad. NOT SO, My argument is if left untreated I would be worse. If I didnt have diabetes I wouldnt know my life was so self destructive.

My relationships have been better with the people around me, I know alot more about somthing that previously I knew very little about. Im educating those around me, so everyone gets somthing out of it.

Three weeks and I know so much more now and Im still rubbish at control but I know why Im rubbish. My dad also a type 1 diabetic has been going crazy with me.. Ive been on the phone alot with him. Personally I think even though hes had it longer I still think I will own him in the stakes of "perfect control" how can I not... I have you guys as my secret weapon... Muhahahaha

Haha it took a week but Im now injecting myself. Can I say when I started I couldnt even feel the needle recently Ive been getting sharp sometimes painful, hmm too strong a word.. Uncomfortable feeling recently. Sometimes ive had to change spots and i managed to bruise myself on one side. Im scared about other injection sites atm, just not brave and mostly worried I cant find my **** and inject my elbow instead.

Loosing weight. I was a 36 - 38 I did some shop theropy and got in a size 32 -34. pritty cool, I dont feel im loosing weight too fast either. I put it down to my better diet. Think mostly due to lowing my portion sizes and drinking diet drinks.

Im pritty good with money, have a decent job have lodgers/GF who pay me rent and no kids, this is important because ive got myself in a position where i dont have the usual worry of bills and stuff. Im working class i would say, so dont think im living in some massive mansion but this becomes a bit more relavent when i went on my CRUSADE.

OK So what was my crusade. Well I wanted to look at snacks. Pre-diabetic me, loved to snack and binge on chocolate and crisps mostly. Ive experimented (I was naughty and gulped down 3 - Shortbread chocolate digestive things). All I can say is, its hardcore on your blood sugars LOL.Especially when Im currently only using Mixtard at the moment. So what did I discover on the snack crusade.

** The best snacks imo, are HARDCORE expensive.. Im lucky i went looking for the holy snacks with no care of cost. Many people, who have kids and tight budgets may help with alternatives my dad whos not got much money at all came up with some good suggestions ill add them where appropraite.

So where did I aquire what i think are awesome snacks. Well I went to the two of what would proberbly be the best places I could think of:

Marks and Spencers
Hotel Chocolates

Marks and Spencers...
Snacks - OK, and M&S I aimed for LOW to NO Carbs, this left me a few snacking choices, Veg or Meat. Now to me Veg, is pritty darn dull, and although its awesome to snack on it is pritty dull. So I went for meat snacks.

Chicken Bite Selection: Ok this is pritty much a tray of chicken, with it you get little cocktail sticks where you can stab the various "flavoured" chicken peice of your choice and scoff(Munch), Its a massive tray and to eat it all by yourself you could snack on that bad boy for a few days. 0, carbs to my understanding and its a white meat, chicken- No skin = Low calesterol.

Price was a downside at £10

DADS Advice..
**Cheaper option would be to make marinades and prepare it yourself.

Keeping on the theme of Platers, My second choice was also quite large but will last you a few days. The Sea Food Plater - Contains, Some Oily fish, think its peppered macrel, Salmon Flakes, Peeled prawns, Unpealed Prawns, Crab pate, and some fish sauce thing in the middle, Im a bit suspect on the sauce havent realy checked whats in it but it will proberbly be bad. lol.. Now although definately i look forward to "snacking" on this stuff, its not great on calesterol because my understanding is Prawns have quite high levels of Calesterol, but with all things like this moderation is key, Im proberbly going to rotate on a daily basis with side of it to eat, maybe a bit of a combo going on.
For the crab pate I baught some Cracker things to dip, each cracker had 1.2g carb, so eating say 5 crackers oat things = 6g carb, thats still pritty low in my opinion.

Price was a downside at £10.50
Calesterol might be too high.
Crackers for Pate has carbs.

Dads advice:
** Buy your own fishy ingredients and make your own.

Hotel Chocolate:

OK I need a chocolate fix, I think with the above you wont see me munching on any crisps hehe but what to do about the chocoholic in me.. Well I came on these forums and read about hotel chocolates, I went to the metro center and I swear there was a hotel chocolate shop next to marks and spencers there... I could hardly belive my greedy eyes, I only learned about it from these forums that morning..

The chocolate I baught was the low sugar chocs... Now this is not artifical sugar it was real but used in lower quantities. The chocolate thing i baught was like a milk tray, where you get a selection of different ones to choose, this is great, because not only did I only have to eat one of them to get a really nice satisfying chocolate hit, I knew it wasnt going to raise my BS above really my norm (below 10.) It was small amount but really awesome choc hit...

Cost was rediculous really but, I aquired the "Research" funds :p. Luckly I managed to talk my investment manager (The girlfriend) around to the idea.

Price made me think "Holy ****" Cost: £17.50
Nice portion sizes but contains REAL sugar only at lower levels (45% less)
Chocolate hit per 1, is like choc heaven in your mouth.

My Advice never tell your experienced diabetic dad whos poor how much you paid for them.

DADs Advice:
You paid how much! Just have normal chocolate for gods sake but in moderation and try and slowly reduce how dependant you are on it if its a problem!

DAD went on to say (I knew he would be against my research when i rang him "lol") Your looking too much into this whole diabetic thing son, dont let it rule your life, you rule it.

My Final thoughts: Older diabetics worse still parents never let you make the same mistakes they made.. I mean I havn't even experienced diarrhoea from diabetic chocolate yet or a hypo yet. Cool none boring carb free snacks do exist but there way too pricey.

CONCLUSION:
My dad has a hell of a lot more sense then money.
I have more money then sense.
I really love self funded diabetic food research.

So, what is my next research well, I will be soon be advised to exercise (OMG WHATS THIS EVIL). So I am going to experiment with exercise programme of at least 20 minutes of heart pumping action here is a snippet of questions and areas im going to test.

Requires Reseach funding - Maintenance of Girlfriend.
Does at least 20 minutes of sex count?

Requires Reseach funding - I need to buy a nintendo Wii and software.
Can I get 20 minutes worth of exercise from a Nintendo Wii

On a final note, I checked my Insurance policys today and upgraded one of them.

**Because I was diagnosed with diabetes after my critical illness cover was taken with my mortgage its still valid but diabetes its self is not counted as a critical illness. (Shame I have to still pay mortgage! Shucks! LOL) However any complications that may occur as a result of my diabetes is covered, ie foot loss + Cant work.

Now I thought about this, and upgraded my contents insurance to cover "Accidental damage". So what that means is, If I every put my foot through the TV, and as a result I where to loose the foot in question, The following will happen:

1. My TV Gets repaired/replaced.
2. I dont have to work.
3. My house is paid for because id proberbly loose my foot.
4. I become part pirate and buy a cockatial (or steal my sisters).

Down side is, Im not sure if you can request a peg rather then prosthetic.

Take Care all,
Tera.

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Glad to hear you are still on the up and well done for getting on with the needles. I too find it more uncomfortable now than when I first tried and still get a fair number of bruises (I have always bruised easily anyway though). I still have to master the bum ones - did try once (looking in the mirror like a twit) and hit a vein and bleed quite a bit so haven't gone back there! I do tummy for my daytime ones and thighs for my bedtime one (which is lantus and does sting a bit)

Sounds like your research is going well, I do the same with meat in the fridge however I am slightly more with your dad on this one (as I have a family to keep and not so much disposable income!) Small twiglet bags (about 25g) are not too high for an every now and then but it depends on if you love it or loath it!

Let me know how you get on with the wii fit - I have a wii but am waiting for the fit to get cheaper (again the credit cruch comes into play)! The did quite a convincing test on the gadget show a couple of weeks back.

Funny that you say about the critical cover - it got my hopes up too! Interestly mine covers heart attacks (from which you can recover and have no more complications like my dad did (still going strong 26 years on ) but not something that is an on going illness.

Keep us informed with you next findings - good reading!