New to pump-insertion set challenge

claire mccann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I recently got a Medtronic pump after 26 years with pens and I seem to be struggling with the insertion sets. Can anyone offer any advice how I can get up to speed with this and avoid making lots of mistakes? I try and be very careful but i have gone through all the insertion sets first given to mr by the hospital in less than 2 weeks. Am I just being very stupid or have other people had this problem? I use a Medtronic mio insertion set for the 640g pump.

Otherwise I love the pump and am already seeing a noticeable improvement to my life, I've just lost a lot of confidence in my ability to use the tools properly and am very aware I don't have a large back up supply which I'd built up with so many years of pen use (i.e. I don't have spares and am aware of cost of consumables and difficulty to obtain)

Thank you

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are you changing sets ahead of time?
Or doing something wrong when changing over?
I dont really understand what the actual problem is, other than using up supplies...

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @claire mccann
I don't use your pump or sets but my advice is more generally related to getting help wherever you can --

1 -- you are not making this up or "inventing" a problem , so try not to worry about using extra supplies, while you get yourself sorted out. If you have a number to ring for spares ring it tomorrow.
2 - your care team ( DSN etc ) are there to help you
3- ask for extra spares tomorrow - :)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

claire mccann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, thank you. Yesterday I tried to change cannula and it wouldn't go in. I looked it up on you tube and realised I'd forgotten to take off the tiny plastic cover to the actual inserters needle. So I tried with a second inserter and all seemed to be fine (no blocked flow or anything) however, this morning I have had high blood sugars which only rose with a bolus and short run (expected it to drop) so I was annoyed to find it even higher. My concern is im not sure how I've managed to do this (I suspect I've bent the cannula) and if people have any advice for this.
With regards to more inserters, nhs are only providing standard amount so am going to try buy direct from Medtronic-wish me luck!

Reactions: glavesr and himtoo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi all, thank you. Yesterday I tried to change cannula and it wouldn't go in. I looked it up on you tube and realised I'd forgotten to take off the tiny plastic cover to the actual inserters needle. So I tried with a second inserter and all seemed to be fine (no blocked flow or anything) however, this morning I have had high blood sugars which only rose with a bolus and short run (expected it to drop) so I was annoyed to find it even higher. My concern is im not sure how I've managed to do this (I suspect I've bent the cannula) and if people have any advice for this.
With regards to more inserters, nhs are only providing standard amount so am going to try buy direct from Medtronic-wish me luck!

Hi Clare with anything new it will take adjustment and time to familiarise, try and go as slowly as possible is the best advice, don't worry about supply you need to make mistakes to learn. I've had all sorts including not inserting the cannula properly so walking round without any insulin supply (you will soon know about this !), just take it slow and try and be methodical about it. I am now at the stage where is takes me less than 2 minutes. Your team will expect this and I guess that's why for a lot of people they start with a saline solution to iron out these issues early on. Don't let it stress you out tho as that will push your BG higher ;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Speak to your DSN. It is also important that they hive ypu enough allowance for cannula failures.
The best hospitals and CCGS's allow uou to order your supplies straight from Medtronic.

If you do a correction bolus and levels do not come down but comtinue to climb then you prob have a prob with your cannula. But you must allow enough time for the bolus to get in to you and be working.

Its early days so your basal rate will prob be set incorrect and may show highs - which could make you think immediately of failure and it being you..it may not be, it could well be the settings arent fine tuned enough...

The sure way is to do a correction and wait to see if levels drop...

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Medtronic are very helpful when there are any problems and often send out replacement sets.

When I started using the Mio, I sometimes forgot to remove the blue needle guard (Ouch!). I must confess that I just used the same set, removed the guard and tried again. I kept an eye on my blood sugars and it worked OK.

I started having problems taking off the needle guard, when the Mio seemed to fall apart. My DSN watched what I was doing (everything went OK that time!) but she showed me a "better way" to remove the blue needle guard. She held the Mio with a finger on each side of the needle, touching the white strip covering the adhesive. She then twisted the blue guard and removed it. She then removed the white strip and prepared the Mio for "firing". This method makes it less likely for anything to come unstuck or fall apart when removing the guard.

I'm sure your DSN will give you the same kind of support that I was given . . . but she can only help if you ask her.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
try not to get too stressed. I have only been pumping for about 4 months and now I change set easily. When I first started though it is stressfull.
I sometimes take quite a while to bring a high sugar down, yet sometimes it does'nt. With me corrections are more difficult to get down if basal is too low.

claire mccann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your comments-I've been in contact with my DSN who had given me some spare cannulas. I also watched the you tube video (I think it's really good) after my first challenge with it, I'm still not sure why the second one last night wouldn't with but I suspect I've bent the cannula.

I really appreciate the support-it's nice to know I'm not the only one with these challenges (tho obv not nice for anyone at the time whose had them) - I reckon I've completely underestimated the massive step change it is moving from a pen to a pump but I'm determined to make it work. I'm confident in time it'll be second nature, just got to have some patience! Thank you-it is really appreciated

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Good luck with this. It's really hard at the beginning. It used to take me 30 mins at thr beginning to do a set change. It now takes me 2-4 or 1 min if just doing a needle with a split one (silhouette /sure t). Pick a time of day without time pressure (i used to do after work), set yourself up somewhere comfy with lots of space. Get the YouTube video on your phone or computer and follow it step by step. My favourite ones are done by the uch nurse for parents. Very slow and thorough. Much better than the medtronic animated ones. If you're worried about the needle then numb the area with ice. I inject without thinking but there was something different about sets and having to focus that's made it harder.

I started with quicksets and had an awful time mainly with bent canulas. I also got through them all in 2 weeks and kept painful ones in as had none less. They set me up with an account just in time to get more. Also any bent canulas call the medtronic technical assistance to report and they'll replace.

It does get better but takes time, practice and experiments. Good luck!