New to The Betes.

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone, I am newly diagnosed. Not exactly sure what I have. I had an eye exam and was referred to my GP as the optician was concerned about the hemorrhaging he saw on the back of my eyes. Had a blood test and received a letter confirming diabetes but there was no further information on the letter, I was asked to book an appointment with the diabetes nurse which isn't until 9th May.
I feel like I have been cut adrift a bit. I bought a BG test machine which I am not sure was a good idea. I have very high readings. I don't feel ill although I suspect I have just got used to feeling ok in my own body. I have taken the last 2 weeks to cut down on all kinds of bad food and have been exercising every day, well over 30 minutes of full on heart racing stuff. Walking a lot, getting better sleep, drinking more water etc.
I am probably over thinking it and need to be more patient.... a patient patient.
Anyway HELLO!

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Hello LittleG and welcome! I only got my diagnosis this Thursday and like you, it was out of the blue and quite a shock. All I can say is that this community is terrific and I have found them to patiently respond incredibly well to my detailed questions - that I'm sure appear so simple to those that have been living with Diabetes for some time.

My experience here in Cambridge, UK is:

1. A blood test that looked at all my cholesterols - I didn't know there were several types

2. Blood glucose - to check my sugars

3. An AbA1C which I think looks at the overall level of sugar in your blood going back three months.

Anyway, I failed on all counts, but the diabetic nurse was excellent, ensured the first thing I did was sign up to this community, gave me a testing kit and gubbins, a 30 mins tutorial on Type 2 and booked me into see her every week for the next 3 weeks and finally referred me to a Diabetes Education Programme.

It's the same NHS - so expect and push for the same exemplary service.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You did the right thing in buying a glucose meter even though your readings may currently be scary. The priority at present is to reduce the carbs in your diet. As a generalisation, if you have excess weight you are likely to be a T2 and diet is the key with exercise being excellent as well. The nurse may suggest diet and exercise for 3 months before any medication but may prescribe meds immediately. If you are slim and have lost weight recently without trying then Late onset T1 becomes a possibility. Either way a low-carb diet is a good start. Can you let us know what you think were 'bad' foods. If your meter readings 2 hours after a meal are less than, say, 20 then that's not good but can wait until you see the nurse. If you are often in the 20s or even 30s then more urgent action is needed and try to get the date moved forward. If your bloods stay high into the 30s then go to A&E.

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, thanks for the replies.
I guess I would consider the bread and potatoes I love to be bad food, I eat rice and pasta several times a week. I like sweets but don't have them often, I drink too much.