New to type 1

Kirstyo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have recently been diagnosed with type 1 only 5 months ago. I still can't deal with the fact I have to inject everyday. I cry most days as I feel like I'm not normal. I hate injecting out and about people look at me like I am an alien I find it so hard to adjust but type 1 is defiantly a full time job. I just feel I need to speak to people who understand what I am going through

Reactions: himtoo

HoneyBea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have recently been diagnosed with type 1 only 5 months ago. I still can't deal with the fact I have to inject everyday. I cry most days as I feel like I'm not normal. I hate injecting out and about people look at me like I am an alien I find it so hard to adjust but type 1 is defiantly a full time job. I just feel I need to speak to people who understand what I am going through
Hi @Kirstyo1, I am also a recently diagnosed Type 1, I completely understand how you feel because I also have days like that. You're not alone and I suppose over time it will just become part of who we are and injections will seem a normal part of our every day lives.. like brushing our teeth I guess. We got this! We can do it!!

Reactions: himtoo

Kirstyo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I just feel like sometimes I'm not normal and why would anyone want to even be with me I've been with my partner for nearly 2 years he is my rock but I sometimes think why would he want to be with me when he could have someone normal not covered in bruises x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Kirstyo1

Welcome.

I've been diabetic for over 40 years & you'll be surprised how man nonD "norms" have unaddressed "hang ups" of their own..

Lol, only the other day I got my meter out to test & found myself stared at by a lad in his mid 30s sat a couple of seats away... Glowering back I noticed a familiar BS case sat on his lap. We then both respectfully kept ourselves to ourself..

Ah, just seen the "normal" thing.. Do you have any idea how many relationships I've had in which I've heard that from non injectors..

I'm gonna tag @mahola in on this.. She's a fresh D & knows how to wield it like an "Amazon".. ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lmao @Jaylee made me chuckle, people don't understand the daily struggle though do they
Probably not ours..
But, to put stuff in perspective.
The gay couple, just holding hands.
The trans gender being themself.
Someone peaceful, symbolically representing their "faith."
You get the picture...

I could go on. We happen to be diabetic. Hold yer head up. Your bloke might be thinking I'm the luckiest guy on the planet. Why is she with me!?! ;)

Reactions: Juicyj

Kirstyo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know I think recently I have just been so down i have an alarm on my phone for when I have to inject at half 5 I will be having a laugh and then that alarm goes off and it's back to reality

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I think recently I have just been so down i have an alarm on my phone for when I have to inject at half 5 I will be having a laugh and then that alarm goes off and it's back to reality

There are a shed load of diabetics with practical advice on making this life the "new norm". Which includes tailoring injections to fit in with work/life balance.. & dare I say it. (Not my thing.) a pump option?

I'll tag in @azure on any pump enquiries...?

Reactions: azure

Kirstyo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have asked about a pump and they said I can't have it until I have been diagnosed a year

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You are not alone. I've been injecting in public as necessary for 3 years now and don't think anyone has ever noticed me doing it. It's possibly easier for men with their type of clothes but as you gain confidence I think you will stop worrying about it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have asked about a pump and they said I can't have it until I have been diagnosed a year
To be honest. You may still be in the "honeymoon" period, where the pancreas still fits & starts on the insulin production?
So, I can kind of see their logic..
I'll also tag @Juicyj she might shed more sensible light on it..

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kirstyo1 im sure no one looks at you like you're an alien when you inject when you're out. Id be amazed if anyone even noticed - can you recall ever noticing anyone injecting in a restaurant? Because I'm sure you have been out at the same restaurant as other diabetics without even noticing.

I'm sure your partner is just worried about you and will want to support you in this new phase of your life. I'm sure no one is thinking you're not normal. You just have to do a few extra things, but there's nothing not normal about being type 1.

It's a lot of work and a lot of effort, but putting that effort in will help you get in control of your diabetes and help fit your diabetes into your normal. The first steps in that effort would be:
  1. Read the book "think like a pancreas"
  2. Learn how to count carbs and make insulin adjustments -http://www.bertieonline.org.uk
Don't get too hung up on the injections, yeah they are a pain in the bum but you'll soon be doing them without blinking. If your being left with lots of bruises have a chat with your DSN about needle size and injection technique. It makes sense that you won't be considered for a pump until 12 months post diagnosis. You will be honeymooning, you will be learning carb counting and developing confidence in dose adjustments. In order to successfully pump you really need to be carb counting and able to make dose adjustments and out of the honeymoon period. And pumping is really just as much of a faff as injecting... Which is to say it a slight inconvenience that sometimes makes me sigh, but most of the time I don't even think about it :)

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Kirstyo1 Welcome to the forum :)

Please trust me when I say that it gets a lot better, it's new and therefore everything requires extra brain power, thinking things through, making sure you have enough supplies, taken your injection, calculated the right bolus, this list goes on. In time a lot of this stuff will be second nature I promise.

Try and get over your embarrassment on testing and injecting in public, so just out and and do it, once you have done it then it will be liberating, box ticked and the embarrassment will fade, if anyone does notice then I would be amazed, people are not going to say anything.

My best advice is to be your own expert, talk to us, read up, find out as much as your brain can take, being an expert is key to good control and ultimately no one else can manage this as well as you can. In time if you feel a pump will help then go for it, your team would prefer if you do the DAFNE (dose adjustment for normal eating) course first, also that you are doing the best you can do on injections, so it is definately a possibility. Be prepared for anything also, blood glucose levels don't always play nicely and as you would expect so if they are not playing nicely speak to your team and learn why, it's a learning experience to see how your body reacts with stress, exercise, different foods, heat etc, als speak to us we are here to support, your not alone here :)

Kirstyo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you so much this all is so overwhelming the amount of support you all give makes me feel so much better I just feel useless at the moment. I even lost my job because of this too which wasn't great and made me really poorly with bloods of 30.1 and ketones in my blood and water. I just wish things were different but they are what they are and I have to get on with it

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey @Kirstyo1
this is a great place for support -- you are definitely not alone.

please don't feel useless -- you are just facing something that you had no idea you would need to face.
but given some time you will get your head around it and be on here to help other people newly diagnosed.........:)

Reactions: KezG

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

First of all you are normal :) You're just as normal as anyone else :)

I felt very anxious about injecting in public when I was first diagnosed, especially if I was out and about and didn't know exactly where I'd be injecting. What helped me was was realising that actually people have very little interest in what anyone else is doing. Even if they do glance at you doing an injection, they're probably more concerned with what they're going to buy in the shops, or cook that evening, etc.

Yes, Type 1 is a full time job, but it does become a job you can hopefully have running in the background while you get on with your life.

Give yourself time :) It takes months to get your head round a Type 1 diagnosis. Be kind to yourself and know that you're not alone :)

Reactions: KezG

shorty0115

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I was diagnosed in may with type one I don't like injections in front of people only my misus that don't bother me with her but wen we go for a meal I do my carb counting then I wil go to the car to do my injection it's sad really but feel more comfortable that way lol can't wait to get the pump