New type 2

Red2019

Hello all,
Firstly thank you all for providing this vital information - it’s so helpful.

I have been diagnosed with type 2, got the results yesterday. My HBA1C is 85. I got tested because of a random blood test( had Meningitis in January, with chest and ear infection)

Ive also been told I have high cholesterol (5.9).
HDL 1.1 and LDL 1.1.

My doctor stated I had to go on meds, I said no because I want to try diet first. His reply was your have to go on them in three months time when I will be tested again. After the doctor I saw the nurse who just stated cut down and eat low fat.

I started the low carb diet last Monday.

Have I done the right thing turning down meds?

Thanks again!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Red2019 and welcome to the forum, first let me tag in @daisy1 for her useful info post in case you haven’t seen it yet.
Personally I did start on meds straight away, my HbA1c was quite high and I learnt that I had had a dodgy blood glucose result some years before which I wasn’t told about, so I wanted the best chance of normalising my levels quickly. However having said that the biggest thing that will sort Type 2 out is diet and I’m glad to see you have commenced a low carb way of eating. Many people use diet alone so yes, if you want to avoid meds you have done the right thing. With perseverance you may find your GP is surprised at what you have achieved in three months time.
Another invaluable tool is to get a blood glucose meter, with this you can learn which foods you can tolerate. If you want info on meters just post here and we can let you know some good ones.

Reactions: George1981

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Please keep in mind that health care professionals are there to advise not to dictate. I had a similar HbA1c to yours on diagnosis and was prescribed Metformin. I then found this site and adjusted my lifestyle to improve my health and it worked. My choices led to my recent non Diabetic A1c.

You mention your Cholesterol levels, could you check your OP to clarify, please.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
I think a mix of meds and diet....then gradually reduce and then eliminate the meds as your HbA1c comes down?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Red2019
welcome to the 'Club'

Great place for info as you've found.

meds as in metformin.?

i take and took at first diagnosis.

has some beneficial properties, BUT it can cause upsets in some
two types ( slow release type also available ).

low fats...i avoid.

low carb and Higher fats (better fats ) i now eat.

check out the forum and look at the signatures of those who post.

i found it surprising how many had better control of their HBA1c and weight, in what i thought was a short period of time.

i'd say IF you gave it a chance it IS possible all your numbers could improve within 3 months.

a little homework on here and some practical application of what you have seen and heard has helped others,
could go a long way.

as for the meds.

individual choice.

some want to be off them once they start, while some are happy to take, even when numbers improve and the metformin might be deemed less necessary.

Good luck finding the way that works for you.

the forum is here for you.

Red2019

Hello and welcome to the forum. Please keep in mind that health care professionals are there to advise not to dictate. I had a similar HbA1c to yours on diagnosis and was prescribed Metformin. I then found this site and adjusted my lifestyle to improve my health and it worked. My choices led to my recent non Diabetic A1c.

You mention your Cholesterol levels, could you check your OP to clarify, please.

Hi, thank you for your reply.

My LDL should read 4.0. HDL 1.1

I was with my gp for no more than 3 mins. He did not give advice about taking any medication or not. I’m now wondering if I am doing more damage to my body by not having medication to help lower my HBAIC level.

Did you continue with metformin for long?

Red2019

I think a mix of meds and diet....then gradually reduce and then eliminate the meds as your HbA1c comes down?

Hi, thank you. I think I rushed my decision without asking what the benefits would be of going on medication. If I had a much lower HBAIC level then maybe diet alone would have been a better choice.

Red2019

Hi Red2019 and welcome to the forum, first let me tag in @daisy1 for her useful info post in case you haven’t seen it yet.
Personally I did start on meds straight away, my HbA1c was quite high and I learnt that I had had a dodgy blood glucose result some years before which I wasn’t told about, so I wanted the best chance of normalising my levels quickly. However having said that the biggest thing that will sort Type 2 out is diet and I’m glad to see you have commenced a low carb way of eating. Many people use diet alone so yes, if you want to avoid meds you have done the right thing. With perseverance you may find your GP is surprised at what you have achieved in three months time.
Another invaluable tool is to get a blood glucose meter, with this you can learn which foods you can tolerate. If you want info on meters just post here and we can let you know some good ones.

Hello, thanks for replying. I just read your original posts, very interesting. Did you find the medication helped you?

I brought a meter to check my bloods. I’ve had some terrible results in the 20’s but the last few days about 7-8. I will keep testing in order to bring it down.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome
I got diagnosed in January, this year, with an Hba1c of 95, and I've chosen not to take Medication either. Just diet and exercise. I have my 3 month blood test next Friday and I really hope they don't try and push meds on me. I really do not want to go the meds route unless absolutely detrimental. I started Lchf the day I was diagnosed
Best of luck on your diabetic journey. This is a fantastic site.
Eta I test before and after meals so I know what the food I eat is doing to my blood

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thank you. I think I rushed my decision without asking what the benefits would be of going on medication. If I had a much lower HBAIC level then maybe diet alone would have been a better choice.

My HbA1c on diagnosis was 87mmol/m so about the same as yours.
3 months later it was 36mmol/m I took metformin for 3 weeks only as I had a severe reaction it.
Personally I think you made the right decision.

Reactions: jjraak

Red2019

My HbA1c on diagnosis was 87mmol/m so about the same as yours.
3 months later it was 36mmol/m I took metformin for 3 weeks only as I had a severe reaction it.
Personally I think you made the right decision.

That’s really good to know your results. Well done!

Do you follow the low carb diet too?

Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s really good to know your results. Well done!

Do you follow the low carb diet too?

Thanks
Yep I kept carb intake as low as possible.. (usually sub 20g per day) and cut out breakfast to extend my overnight fast.
Plenty of protein and fats to keep feeling full. Coffee with cream in the morning and rarely if ever eat before 1 pm.

Reactions: Lainie71 and jjraak

Red2019

Hello and welcome
I got diagnosed in January, this year, with an Hba1c of 95, and I've chosen not to take Medication either. Just diet and exercise. I have my 3 month blood test next Friday and I really hope they don't try and push meds on me. I really do not want to go the meds route unless absolutely detrimental. I started Lchf the day I was diagnosed
Best of luck on your diabetic journey. This is a fantastic site.
Eta I test before and after meals so I know what the food I eat is doing to my blood

Hello!

The site has so much information on it, so much to learn. Good luck with your next blood test. I’m determined to lose weight (about 5 stone) and eat the low carb way.

I have been testing my bloods a bit randomly but will try to stick to before and after meals.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

The site has so much information on it, so much to learn. Good luck with your next blood test. I’m determined to lose weight (about 5 stone) and eat the low carb way.

I have been testing my bloods a bit randomly but will try to stick to before and after meals.
Thank you
I still have so much to learn too and learned so much already.
They recommend testing just before a meal then 2 hours after first bite. anything over 2mmol isn't very good for us and we need to look at tweaking the meal somehow or stop eating the meal all together depending on what it is

Forgot to say, good luck with losing weight

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi, thank you for your reply.

My LDL should read 4.0. HDL 1.1

I was with my gp for no more than 3 mins. He did not give advice about taking any medication or not. I’m now wondering if I am doing more damage to my body by not having medication to help lower my HBAIC level.

Did you continue with metformin for long?

I continued with Metformin, which is usually prescribed as a first line medication, for two years. The dosage was lowered as my HbA1c improved. It is not a 'heavy' drug, it is considered a mild drug but it can have an unfortunate side effect on the bowels... I made good enough improvements to avoid further drugs and/or insulin. It was LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) that was the real game changer for me.

Reactions: Starfish18

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed Metformin, and Atorvastatin - I lasted about 5 weeks - I was so ill....
Once I threw them in the bin (other options are available) I stuck to low carb and found that I did not need medication. I just wish that drs and nurses would get the message that type two diabetes is not a disease requiring instant medication to make it better - it is often a simple problem, and with luck it has a simple solution.

Reactions: Flora123

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. There is nothing wrong with delaying meds to see how a low-carb diet works for you. The advice from the nurse to have low-fat was, of course, bad advice. That HBA1C is quite high so you may end up needing meds such as Metformin. Make sure your next cholesterol tests is a fasting one and that it is a complete lipids 'panel' so you can check all the ratios. Only take statins if the ratios indicate they need control and don't let the GP imply they are a diabetes drug as they aren't. I think many of us had a rushed first diagnostic review. The 3 month wait is quite normal after diagnosis. BTW what is your BMI?

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner

To be honest I had TWO main reasons for accepting the metformin prescription

1) I was IN HOSPITAL when diagnosed and was told after coming round in recovery after a big toe amputation

2) Having a valid prescription for diabetes medicine entitles you to FREE prescriptions on pretty much everything(In the UK) and I knew I was going to need loads of meds when I was discharged