Newbie - 2 weeks post diagnosis

Impy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone - newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetic. Prescribed 1500mg metformin daily + 20mg atorvastatin.

Looking for advice on diet (currently low carb mediteranean) for my fatty liver + any suggestions for coping with peripheral neuropathy in my feet.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone - newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetic. Prescribed 1500mg metformin daily + 20mg atorvastatin.

Looking for advice on diet (currently low carb mediteranean) for my fatty liver + any suggestions for coping with peripheral neuropathy in my feet.
Hi Impy, and welcome to the forums.

Low carb (I mean ~20g a day) worked a treat for me and continues to do so. I'm assuming you're already using a meter and testing before and after food? If not I would strongly suggest you get one and start learning what impact various foods have on your blood glucose. I found it absolutely invaluable in the first year or two.

When you say "low-carb mediterranean" what exactly do you mean?

Everyone's (diabetic and non-diabetic alike) blood glucose rises and falls throughout the day in response to various things - food is probably the most important, but exercise, ambient temperature, stress, illness etc all have an impact. As T2s, we are resistant to insulin and this means our systems do not cope well with carbs/glucose arriving in the bloodstream (eg usually from digestion but also via liver action) . Our bodies don't shift glucose into muscle cells as should happen, so it winds up hanging around in the blood, or being stored as bodyfat. High levels of glucose in the blood over prolonged periods of time cause physical damage to nerves and small capilliary blood vessels.

My neuropathy improved as soon as I started low carb. It has not gone away completely (I think that means permanent damage) but it is no longer a pain - just a sort of warmish tingle at worst.

• Agree
Reactions: JAT1 and VashtiB

Impy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Impy, and welcome to the forums.

Low carb (I mean ~20g a day) worked a treat for me and continues to do so. I'm assuming you're already using a meter and testing before and after food? If not I would strongly suggest you get one and start learning what impact various foods have on your blood glucose. I found it absolutely invaluable in the first year or two.

When you say "low-carb mediterranean" what exactly do you mean?

Everyone's (diabetic and non-diabetic alike) blood glucose rises and falls throughout the day in response to various things - food is probably the most important, but exercise, ambient temperature, stress, illness etc all have an impact. As T2s, we are resistant to insulin and this means our systems do not cope well with carbs/glucose arriving in the bloodstream (eg usually from digestion but also via liver action) . Our bodies don't shift glucose into muscle cells as should happen, so it winds up hanging around in the blood, or being stored as bodyfat. High levels of glucose in the blood over prolonged periods of time cause physical damage to nerves and small capilliary blood vessels.

My neuropathy improved as soon as I started low carb. It has not gone away completely (I think that means permanent damage) but it is no longer a pain - just a sort of warmish tingle at worst.
Thanks - low carb mediteranean means non tropical fruit, oily fish (salmon etc), lots of vegetables, wholemeal rice/eggs that sort of thing.

My nephew is type 1, so I got myself the same blood sugar testing stuff that he started out with. Test 1 hour after meals and my levels are now about half of what they were when diagnosed. The neuropathy is less of a problem now, but I have both good nights and bad ones, which I guess is par for the course !

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks - low carb mediteranean means non tropical fruit, oily fish (salmon etc), lots of vegetables, wholemeal rice/eggs that sort of thing.

My nephew is type 1, so I got myself the same blood sugar testing stuff that he started out with. Test 1 hour after meals and my levels are now about half of what they were when diagnosed. The neuropathy is less of a problem now, but I have both good nights and bad ones, which I guess is par for the course !
If it's working for you that's really great. For me rice (wholemeal makes no difference) is way too high in carb and the same goes for fruit. The key thing is to find what works for you and to stick at it.