Newbie after advise while awaiting dietician

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cabbage
I'm 47 and was diagnosed T2 three weeks ago. Although, they said I was prediabetic 6 years ago - I don't recall being told. Moving on though. I've been told I will be able to manage my condition through diet and getting as much knowledge as I can. I'm awaiting an appointment with a dietician, but I've not been told much else. I've done research and I understand foods I should cut down on and alternatives (I've cut out biscuits and beer). I've always been quite healthy and fit, although at 14 1/2st, I've for sometime thought shedding a few pounds wouldn't be a bad thing, I visit the gym two or three times a week for years, prior to that I cycled and prior to that ran. I now need something more ambitious again and I have the London marathon 2023 now in my sights - it will be 20 years I ran it the first (and last time).

My recent diagnosis has (possibly) helped explain lack of stamina. My HbA1c level are 53 and Ive also been told I will need another test in a few months. In addition, my Vitamin D and B12 are low but I have tablets for this.

What I'm struggling with is acting on what I think are Hypers or hypos (though as a t2 I understand hyper is more likely that a Hypo) and how to get on top of this. I'm not really sure; I just feel light headed and nausea - I previously put this down to my hearing problems and was told by an audiologist to live it. I now also realise that diabetes explained my dry itchy feet. Advice I've read is to have regular snacks and I carry a pack of almonds and graze on them, if I feel like I'm having an "episode".

While I await an appointment, what do I do? What should I expect? What in particular should I look for and act on? Should I buy test kit? Will I get any medication? Am I expecting results too soon? Am I overreacting to everything?

I'm sure all these questions have been asked, but I'm just finding it all overwhelming.

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Dave Russell. Welcome .
Your HbA1c 53 is not so bad that you should, with a few tweaks to diet find you can reduce it back to more acceptable level. Have you been prescribed any diabetes medication?

Well done on cutting down biscuits and beer. Perhaps look at other carbohydrates and cut them too. The dietitian, unless enlightened, will possibly tell you to eat ‘better, wholemeal’ carbs. However, all carbs turn to sugar during digestion.

You have described a ‘hyper’. That tired sluggish feeling. I used to get that, too after eating what I had been told was healthy carbs with every meal. The way to stop that is to be aware of carb content, even healthy fruit, and reduce amount you eat. I don’t snack, but do carry some nuts, or cheese in my bag if I think I am going to be out somewhere where I cannot get a low carb meal.

You would be wise to get a meter and use it first thingnin morning, to test fasting level, then before each meal, and two hours after. If you keep accurate records of results, and what you have eaten, you will soon see a pattern emerge of how the various foods affect your BG levels.

Keep reading, and posting. You can sort this.
Oh and well done with the aim for return to marathon running. Slow and steady wins the race.

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Your HbA1c 53 is not so bad that you should, with a few tweaks to diet find you can reduce it back to more acceptable level.

That is how I understood it. I'm just full of uncertainty and desperate to get back to normal, having thought it was hearing related and just getting used to it; maybe it's a bit of both though.

Have you been prescribed any diabetes medication?

Only vitamin D and B12. I understand there may e something (I can't recall the name) that is prescribed short term. Having said that my new fitness regime is hopefully the answer.

Well done on cutting down biscuits and beer. Perhaps look at other carbohydrates and cut them too. The dietitian, unless enlightened, will possibly tell you to eat ‘better, wholemeal’ carbs. However, all carbs turn to sugar during digestion.

Yes I've tried to cut down on other stuff too. Alpen and fruit for breakfast instead of toast. No biscuits, or crisps either, since my diagnosis, including 18 unopened advent calendar windows.

You have described a ‘hyper’. That tired sluggish feeling. I used to get that, too after eating what I had been told was healthy carbs with every meal.

I feels it's pretty random throughout the day - the classroom is exhausting anyway especially with hearing problems. I have good and bad days. Though last two days (Xmas day/boxing day) feels like it's caught up with me today especially. With red wine and brandy, instead of beer, I was lets say over indulgent. I expect no sympathy, as it was fully self-inflicted :).

You would be wise to get a meter and use it first thing in morning, to test fasting level, then before each meal, and two hours after. If you keep accurate records of results, and what you have eaten, you will soon see a pattern emerge of how the various foods affect your BG levels.

Thank you for this. I wasn't sure and even read (albeit on an old thread) they say there is no need for this for type 2. Although I'll speak to the chemist.

Keep reading, and posting. You can sort this.Oh and well done with the aim for return to marathon running. Slow and steady wins the race.

I will do on both accounts. I'm pretty much all or nothing when it comes to a project. I've found a training calendar, which I'll have to fit into my routine. Day 1 tomorrow and I'll be trying my old running kit in the morning. Though it's off to the running shop tomorrow for new trainers. Oh and I forgot to mention it would be good to fit into my army parade belt. Ill drop into the chemist too to ask about test strips.

Many many thanks for your reply. It's very reassuring. Which I was certain when writing my OP, that this was what I needed. I do count myself lucky I'm not on a bad situation as others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you may need to reconsider breakfast. Despite the typical NHS advice Alpen, or any cereal, is not going to lower blood sugars. Could you cope with egg based breakfast instead? Likewise, fruit. Berries are best, as most other fruits are too high in sugar. You might find you have less of the hyper feeling if you make that change in your diet. Have a look at the low carb section of the forums. There is also the excellent diet doctor site for ideas. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
H
aving long distance runners in the family, I know they used to think ‘carb loading’ was necessary before a big race, but that is not so. You can be fuelled on fat. That is hard to understand when you consider the advice from NHS over the last 40:eek:r so years.

Regarding a meter, it is quite unusual for them to be advocated for people with T2. My, (and others) belief that people with T2 don’t need to test is because it was becoming too expensive to prescribe the strips. You will often find meters are given free, but the strips cost a great deal. I have copied the info ,below ,that @Rachox gives regarding self funding of meters, and how to purchase. Testing levels is one of the best ways to achieve good management.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews, links to the strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Discount codes for the Code Free strips

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you again.

I think you may need to reconsider breakfast. Despite the typical NHS advice Alpen, or any cereal, is not going to lower blood sugars. Could you cope with egg based breakfast instead? Likewise, fruit. Berries are best, as most other fruits are too high in sugar.

I'm fine with eggs. I have the fruits and Greek yoghurt. I guess I'll just drop the Alpen too.

Having long distance runners in the family, I know they used to think ‘carb loading’ was necessary before a big race, but that is not so. You can be fuelled on fat. That is hard to understand when you consider the advice from NHS over the last 40:eek:r so years.

We had the big debate about carb-loading early-2000s in my running club and later in my cycling club. My running partner was anti-carb 50 year old ultra-marathon runner, and a scientist. We're all different but he was an absolute testiment
to this

Regarding a meter, it is quite unusual for them to be advocated for people with T2. My, (and others) belief that people with T2 don’t need to test is because it was becoming too expensive to prescribe the strips. You will often find meters are given free, but the strips cost a great deal. I have copied the info ,below ,that @Rachox gives regarding self funding of meters, and how to purchase. Testing levels is one of the best ways to achieve good management.

I will look a this and ask advice on test meters. As it happens I saw a test meter but they didn't appear to want to reveal too much about the cost of new strips. Same tactic as a Camera manufacturers back in the 70s making a loss knowing they'd make profit on film cartridges... Though I'm keen to find a pattern to give me a head start, so could be an early investment.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same tactic as a Camera manufacturers back in the 70s making a loss knowing they'd make profit on film cartridges... Though I'm
I wouldn't be without mine. A tee2 was thrown in for free with 5 or 10 boxes of strips (about £10 a box). You only need use lots of strips daily for about 6 months while you test foods and learn what suits you. Now I test once again day, but only for my own interest, and I do fund a libre2 4 times a year for holidays or other times when I can't be in control of the buying and cooking.
I think its ridiculous that NHS expects anyone to control something they can't see, when it is so easy to do

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The advice to be snacking all the time is not something to take seriously - if you think about it - if the drain is blocked running the tap every half an hour isn't sensible.
I stick to low carb foods, and eat twice a day, at around 12 hour intervals. I know from experience that none of my meals will cause my glucose levels to spike. I tested using a Spirit Healthcare Tee 2+, but have not needed to test for well over a year now.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome.

You won't appreciate it now but being detected/caught at a low diagnostic level can end up being the luckiest thing that's happened to you.

As you are active & not obese, obviously. I'd concentrate on the carbs. The normal western diet tends to be carb heavy.

Reactions: Dave Russell