Newbie...hi

willownuts

Hi all,

I am very new to keto eating and although I love sinking my teeth into a juicy pork chop, my mental struggle is really giving me a battering.

For years and years and after thousands of diets, eating plans etc where fat is the enemy, actually being able to eat it freely is really messing with my head. Im worried about the fat doing damage to other parts of me. My cholesterol has always been quite low and will that go up? My blood pressure is high, will it go higher? Talk about keeping me awake at night!

Can anyone relate to this? Any tips and pointers any of you have will be gratefully received.

Rach x

Lakeslover

Hi and welcome.

I know it’s hard to get your head around such a drastic change after all those years of following a low cal low fat diet.

all I can really say is that at my last blood test 9 months after starting a low carb, higher fat diet my cholesterol had not gone up, and my HbA1c had come right down. My blood pressure hasn’t changed.

I’m just one example there are many others here. The only way you will know if it works for you is by trying it.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
If your cholesterol is low, then why worry about an increase in fat?
For lots (majority?) of Low Carb High Protein Medium Fat way of eating adherents, HDL will improve (higher) and Triglycerides will improve (Lower) and LDL either won't change or will drop.
For TOFI (Thin Outside Fat Inside) T2 diabetics (like me) there is more of a likelihood that LDL will rise, but that due to HDL rising and Triglycerides dropping the Lipid Ratios will still be i8mproved from before eating this way. Dave Feldman call this type a 'Lean Mass Hyper-Responder'.

willownuts

Thanks for the replies.

After a wk of following it, my blood glucose is lower than it has been. It was 6.4 the other evening before bed.

My waking bloods are still high, 12 some mornings. But hope they will come down eventually. I have always had a high reading first thing even when first diagnosed a few years ago.

Thanks x

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I am very new to keto eating and although I love sinking my teeth into a juicy pork chop, my mental struggle is really giving me a battering.

For years and years and after thousands of diets, eating plans etc where fat is the enemy, actually being able to eat it freely is really messing with my head. Im worried about the fat doing damage to other parts of me. My cholesterol has always been quite low and will that go up? My blood pressure is high, will it go higher? Talk about keeping me awake at night!

Can anyone relate to this? Any tips and pointers any of you have will be gratefully received.

Rach x
I've always had high total cholesterol, not that I think that means anything. Everything else is in range. Since doing keto (over two years now) and increasing the proportion of natural fat in my diet, my total cholesterol has fallen and my BP has stayed fine.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was watching this the other day and he explains how cholesterol actualy works and what it does when your on a low carb diet :)

Hope you find it helpful