newbie story so far

that steve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
other things and some people
Hi, I am Steve I am 46 and I am a DIABETIC T2.
I was diagnosed at the beginning of January 2016 (happy new year)
with an Hba1c of 96. I was overwhelmed by a range of emotions, guilt,
frustration, anger, fear, saddness, self pity and also relief. Relief that
after 14 months of feeling like I was dying inside (during which time i lost
2 & 1/2 stone) and extreme pain in my legs and feet I had at last got a
name for what was wrong.
The Doctor put me on metformin sr 500mg with instruction to increase the dose
quite quickly to 4 tablets a day. He explained what diabetes meant/could mean
for my life but the good news was I didnt seem to be showing any signs of
complications with organs etc but i did have neuropathy, for which I was prescribed
amytriptiline. I was sent home with a booklet about diabetes, instructions to eat better,
get some exercise and come back to see the diabetic nurse 1 month later.
Its important to say that I got home and started reading/researching the condition,
not the best idea I had ever had, the internet is very untidy and essentially
what I read scared the **** out of me.
But I did quickly accept that I was responsible for catching this disease, 30
years of terrible habits, sugar, salt, fat addictions combined with greed and
laziness.
I immeadiately cut out 90% of all the **** I had been eating, I havent had a
pepsi/fizzy drink since the diagnosis and my daily bag of crisps ok 2 bags of crisps
lots of bags of crisps or just 1 great big one and chocolate bars, sweets, biscuits,
banofee pie, mmm banofee pie, have for the most part been shown the door.
I started eating better or so I thought, jump forward 4 weeks and I met the diabetic nurse
we talk, she is nice, has a kind nature, appears supportive but is clear that diabetes
is progressive and everyone diagnosed is on insulin within 15 years. we talk some more
and then she shows me how to do a spot test by pricking my finger with a modern
medieval device designed to draw blood from my body, yes I am supposed to be a big
tough guy, but it kinda hurt. The nurse was some what surprised by my spot test result
she expected something around 15, it was 9.6.
My 2nd hba1c was 75 just 2 months after my first, I thought this was good and showed progress
the nurse wasnt happy, I had not met her target of below 53 and she wanted to add other
medications. I was not happy and after discussing the situation we agreed to let me see if I
could improve further.
My 3rd hba1c another 2 months later was 56, again not quite below target but close enough
for the nurse to conceed to my achievement so far.
It is following this latest hba1c result that I really started to pay some serious attention to what
I am doing.
But heres my reality, I have not as yet implemented any real exercise regime as I am still
lazy, but I have done a lot more research, looked through the forums, websites
tried to understand what the drugs do and what other choices there are.
Every one I have spoken to that is diabetic and has chosen medication to it control, because
they cant live without white bread etc has had to increase dosage and types of drugs and has complications.
Metformin/medication seems to offer only a limited solution in sugar control
The NHS dietary advice seems to offer only a limited solution to sugar control
and neither of these things address the issue of insulin resistance which appears
to be the bodys natural defence at a cellular level against to much insulin created by
to much glucose in the blood created in my case by being a greedy lazy idiot.
I had already started to cut back on "good carbs/all carbs/sugars" before my 3rd hba1c and am now moving towards
a low carb high fat diet with an understanding that the fats are essential for energy, protein is essential to
helping build up muscle mass which helps the body use the insulin/glucose more effectively and energy
is created from any carbs first, then fats and then proteins. lean meats dont help so much
and neither do processed meats (spot tests can be useful but they can also confuse the life out of me
same foods different days different results) I also stopped blindly believing the colour coded info on food packaging
and inspite of the temptation to go with sugar free options a bit of reading showed how high in carbs alot of that stuff is.
I have also started to increase omega 3 intake to help counter balance the other fats in the diet and this may help the whole
muscle growth insulin resistance thing which in the long term has got to be worth a try.
So I have looked at what my medical support team have told me I can do and I have decided to do better.
I have my next hba1c in 2 months (at the nurses insistance, she is still trying to get me on more drugs
where as I want to reduce my drug intake asap)
I accept it will take changing more bad habits for good & I hope I will be able to reach my own goal
of an hba1c of 31 sooner rather than later. This is apparently what is called normal and completely unacheivable for a diabetic
whose first result was 96. So just one more slice of banofee pie and here we go..for the record I
havent had banofee pie at all this year and I dont miss it but every now and then the memory of how
much I liked it pops up... mmmmm banofee pie.
I will have to add meditation to my routine to help with self control.
thanks for reading
cheers
Steve

Reactions: 12 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

That is quite a journey, and WELL DONE on your progress so far.
Changing the habits of a lifetime is a hard task, so I hope you are proud of it. :)

(I will be interested to hear how you get on with the banoffee. I had some sweet desserts lately and struggled at their sickliness. my tastes have changed so much)

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum
To reduce your hba1c from 96 to 56 is quite an achievement, well done
One of the best bits of advice I received when I joined this forum was to eat to my meter. Test your blood glucose before you eat and again 2hrs after, then you can see what effect your meal has had on your sugar levels. If you are more than 2 mmol higher at 2hr then you need to change something i.e. reduce portion size or cut something out.
Here's a link to blood sugar 101 it explains it better than I can http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You appear to have interpreted what you need to with regard to diet very well. The nurse is wrong to say the T2 will progress to insulin; it may if you follow the old NHS diet advice. Metformin is a good, safe drug but doesn't help that much. There are no obvious other drugs that need to be automatically provided assuming your blood sugar stays at a sensible level. In summary keep doing what you're doing.

Reactions: 4 people

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Steve,
Thanks for your story. Your 'downward' journey mirrors mine, as does your reaction on being 'labelled' - although I'm still very much in that space! I was completely asymptomatic and felt completely fine - so the diagnosis completely blew me away to b told just how 'Ill' I now am
My initial 'number' was also 97, and literally scared the s**t out of me. I haven't yet had a subsequent test, but a recent fasting finger prick test showed 6.6 against an initial reading of 12 so hopeful there will be a significant improvement in August.
I am not a devout LCHF evangelist, nor do I monitor (hence the name Heretic), though like you I have taken all **** out of my diet (including booze - sob!), though I have been very motivated to hit the 'Phys' hard and lost over 3st to date with all the other indicators (BMI, HR, BP etc) now all completely 'normal'.I would soooo love to mirror the most important stat with a 'normal' reading, though my current target is 48. I'm not on any meds, and desperate to avoid it if I can.
Your comments about being on insulin within 15 years and not being able to achieve the 30s from an initial reading of 96 are disheartening - but maybe I'm still living in cuckoo land or denial!
Well done on what you've achieved so far.
Best wishes

Reactions: 6 people

that steve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Heretic1
Thanks for your message and good luck with your journey, it seems its the pofessional/experts who think it cant be done
for me i have never been good at being told what i can or cant do.
So I will believe in me
be well
Steve,
Thanks for your story. Your 'downward' journey mirrors mine, as does your reaction on being 'labelled' - although I'm still very much in that space! I was completely asymptomatic and felt completely fine - so the diagnosis completely blew me away to b told just how 'Ill' I now am
My initial 'number' was also 97, and literally scared the s**t out of me. I haven't yet had a subsequent test, but a recent fasting finger prick test showed 6.6 against an initial reading of 12 so hopeful there will be a significant improvement in August.
I am not a devout LCHF evangelist, nor do I monitor (hence the name Heretic), though like you I have taken all **** out of my diet (including booze - sob!), though I have been very motivated to hit the 'Phys' hard and lost over 3st to date with all the other indicators (BMI, HR, BP etc) now all completely 'normal'.I would soooo love to mirror the most important stat with a 'normal' reading, though my current target is 48. I'm not on any meds, and desperate to avoid it if I can.
Your comments about being on insulin within 15 years and not being able to achieve the 30s from an initial reading of 96 are disheartening - but maybe I'm still living in cuckoo land or denial!
Well done on what you've achieved so far.
Best wishes

Reactions: 5 people

that steve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi and welcome. You appear to have interpreted what you need to with regard to diet very well. The nurse is wrong to say the T2 will progress to insulin; it may if you follow the old NHS diet advice. Metformin is a good, safe drug but doesn't help that much. There are no obvious other drugs that need to be automatically provided assuming your blood sugar stays at a sensible level. In summary keep doing what you're doing.
Cheers
Most appreciated, any confirmations or useful information can only help
have a good journey
be well

that steve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum
To reduce your hba1c from 96 to 56 is quite an achievement, well done
One of the best bits of advice I received when I joined this forum was to eat to my meter. Test your blood glucose before you eat and again 2hrs after, then you can see what effect your meal has had on your sugar levels. If you are more than 2 mmol higher at 2hr then you need to change something i.e. reduce portion size or cut something out.
Here's a link to blood sugar 101 it explains it better than I can http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
Hi
thank you, i appreciate the feedback and guidance
be well

Reactions: 2 people

that steve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi and welcome!

That is quite a journey, and WELL DONE on your progress so far.
Changing the habits of a lifetime is a hard task, so I hope you are proud of it. :)

(I will be interested to hear how you get on with the banoffee. I had some sweet desserts lately and struggled at their sickliness. my tastes have changed so much)
Hi B
thank you, the banoffee is going to be an interesting one, i suspect like you my tastes will have changed so
much that its pleasure will be a distant memory, as for change i have been on a self improvement kick since 2003
i just forgot to include being a grown up about food, doh.
be well
Steve

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My HbAic was 97 on diagnosis in May 2015, my blood test last week was 44 so don't believe what your nurse has told you.

Typicaltwo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Royalty, Religion, Gardening, Baking, Piston heads, vegans
Well done, you can beat type two with a ketogenic diet with the results being obvious to see - both in the much reduced blood glucose readings and weight loss- and difficult to argue against. My GP surgery (lovely people that they are) now accepts the path I've taken over the past year having followed the flawed NHS guidelines for the previous ten years as my diabetes got progressively worse. My latest A1c was 40.

My next battle is over cholesterol (LOWERING cholesterol is NOT good for you) and the likelihood that it has no effect on heart disease combined the dangers of taking statins. This is going to be a tough one as there is no measurable right or wrong answer.

Reactions: 7 people

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Dude, you are heading the right direction and at a good pace, we can all do more but do have fun on the way, you will make it with a positive attitude which translates into positive actions.

I am only 44 and not even 9 months into being T2 and I can say life is great and my foods are more exciting than before, I suspect some of the nurses advise is utter ****, especially the 15 year type 1 thing.

Stay good and on occasion treat yourself to something nice, you deserve it

canemdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep going Steve, I was diagnosed in May. I'm doing the same thing. I accept I have Type2 diabetes, however I will not stand by and do nothing.

Diagnosed at 122kg, down to 116.6kg in 2 weeks of changed diet aiming for a destination of 90kg. I think carbs are the hardest to give up, I'm slowly wheeling myself off it as I learn all the things that have hidden carbs!

Also bought a metre, that is rather interesting. On 2x Metformin a day and no my fasting values are around 5.2... I really didn't pay attention to the values when diagnosed so I have booked an appointment for this Thursday to get all this information and more now that I got my head around it.

Good luck to you, and keep going!

Reactions: 13 people

GPM44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Steve, you can make a difference, I couldn't accept being told it was "progressive & inevitable " I was diagnosed out of the blue I'm September 2015 with hba1c of 103, by December 2015 it was 57, March 2016 it was 39, and two weeks ago 37. Doc has taken me off all medications, I've lost 5 stone in weight & I'm fitter than I have ever been & I eat great food 4 times a day! Also returned to "normal" blood pressure and cholesterol readings, it can be done, good luck on your journey.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @that steve
You seem to be making good progress and I would encourage you to keep going. I'm about 18 months into this and very happy with my HbA1c of 33, not quite the 31 you are aiming at. There are people on this forum who have achieved even lower HbA1c. For me it was eating to my meter, weight loss and walking. I hope you find what works for you.

that steve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @that steve
You seem to be making good progress and I would encourage you to keep going. I'm about 18 months into this and very happy with my HbA1c of 33, not quite the 31 you are aiming at. There are people on this forum who have achieved even lower HbA1c. For me it was eating to my meter, weight loss and walking. I hope you find what works for you.
thank you and well done on your achievement its good to see it can be done
be well

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @that steve .
Well done for taking action.
Once you achieve your ideal hba1c think about maintenance.
Like in any diet that is the hardest part.

I've had type 2 for decades. 2 burn outs and close to anorexia as a teenager.
My only advice is don't be too extreme. Yes it gets instant results but this diabetes is a marathon not a sprint.

You will relax into your new healthy diabetic body and it seems the men are showing less emotional baggage been pulled along in their journey.
I know men get burn out too but looking on these forums the men walk away with their tail between their legs when they feel they have failed. NO.
Men can influence their bodies far easier than women.
I'm not say women have it harder being a type 2, no, but hormones and menopause can throw things around.

I am delighted with your progress. Finding these forums will save you a lot of heartache and loneliness in your journey. I wish I'd had them!
I have no doubt you will achieve great things with your diabetes, by your grit and determination.
Keep one thing in mind. If any influence changes your bgs accept it and use it to your advantage. For example. Sickness - upset tummy maybe.
Medicate with sugar free meds and keep hydrated.
In insulin resistance your bgs go up. Then once the bug has gone you come back to normal.
As of stress, pain and hormonal changes.
More can affect your bgs than people think.
Only stress free exercise and diet and sometimes meds keep us from wrotting away.
We are only human, so mistakes will be made.
Its how we cope with those mistakes (bleeps) that make us the perfect diabetic.
Welcome to stage 2 of diabetes care. :)

sud5nala

All this in just 6 months!

You could direct the nurses or doctors to David Unwin, and to the Finnish Diabetes Prevention Program study, if they would care to read up. Dr. Unwin treats diabetics at the NHS. He's on Twitter. The Finnish study of prediabetics is famous in the research world. A program of weight loss and physical activity reduced incidence of diabetes by 58%, versus metformin reducing incidence by 38%. Reduction in the incidence of Type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin. 2002

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Congrats. A great story. You are doing most things right. The only thing I can add is exercise,and you have already considered that. But don't just think about it. Do it..Take it easy at first. Try to enjoy it. Biuld up slowly.
Very good luck to you. You will win.