newbie story so far

Yeknodathon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, what a story, thanks for sharing.

I have experienced something similar but with a twist :) I got to a point in 2015 where the nurse said, yup come off the Metformin. And I interpreted that as "cured, eat anything and ease off exercise". Er..um.. ah, nooo guess, what? Weight back on, levels up... *sigh*. So, for 2016 it has been an interesting year re-planning anti-diabetes insurgency, gradually.. cycling to work, weekly kayaking (has benefit of collecting canal weed) and the most glorious, super-fun ever... historical fencing with military sabre, rapier, longsword. Very hard, but massive fun. The lessons for me; don't ease up, reinforce success, gradually build up (and not rush change) and carefully target activities that are fun, challenging and engaging. Endorphins are our friends!

Oh, and how could I forget, treats are not off the list - they are very much still there just that they are controlled and for special celebratory occasions and part of the "burn, baby, burn carbs plan". And being a rare treat they are so much more enjoyable!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, what a story, thanks for sharing.

I have experienced something similar but with a twist :) I got to a point in 2015 where the nurse said, yup come off the Metformin. And I interpreted that as "cured, eat anything and ease off exercise". Er..um.. ah, nooo guess, what? Weight back on, levels up... *sigh*. So, for 2016 it has been an interesting year re-planning anti-diabetes insurgency, gradually.. cycling to work, weekly kayaking (has benefit of collecting canal weed) and the most glorious, super-fun ever... historical fencing with military sabre, rapier, longsword. Very hard, but massive fun. The lessons for me; don't ease up, reinforce success, gradually build up (and not rush change) and carefully target activities that are fun, challenging and engaging. Endorphins are our friends!

THAT is an awesome story too!
Military sabre, eh? Green with envy here.

Well done for getting back on the wagon. No matter how good our success and our intentions, we all waver sooner or later. And sometimes Round Two can be even more challenging. Sad but true. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Steve that is the most amazing story. Thank you for letting us share. It will give hope to so many others, me included.

Reactions: 4 people

Yeknodathon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
THAT is an awesome story too!
Military sabre, eh? Green with envy here.

Thank you, diabetes, like fencing, for me is a challenge. In a strange way, again my experience, it has offered opportunities and I am enjoying them and the results; my mood is better, I feel more alert and confident. I have to be careful and look after myself and it can be a pain - I mean, is it really possible to love cucumbers over a choc biscuit? Anyway.. for those who are interested (and not me fencing) some military sabre:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
is it really possible to love cucumbers over a choc biscuit?

Haha! Nope, it isn't.

But it IS possible to take a square of 70% cocoa solid choc, place a blob of peanut butter on the top, and then enjoy that...

Nice video :)

that steve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
other things and some people
Hello again hello I just called to say hello... latest hba1c results are in... 48, I had reduced my metformin dose by half during that time period and will be stopping it altogether from the 1st august, with close monitoring and dietary adjustments as needed. Seem to be having good spike control at the moment..so thats good for the whole mindset :)

Reactions: 3 people

that steve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
other things and some people
Good progress. That's quite a way from the 96 you started with.
hi, great results, i am always looking for info to help me get this under control, what sort of diet are you on

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @that steve
The diet I used to get things under control, probably from about 6 weeks in and found by using a meter and testing.
Breakfast - scrambled eggs & mushrooms or fried breakfast
Lunch - salad
Evening Meal varied a lot fish, about 3 times a week, chicken sometimes beef or lamb
lots of veg, roasted veg - red onion, garlic, peppers, courgettes etc plus probably another 3 or 4 vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, beans, sweet corn, etc
One very small piece of potato weighing 30 to 50 grams. I weighed everything at first.

After I got my first HbA1c of 33 I tried a lot more experimenting. By the time I got my second HbA1c of 33 my GP insisted I put some weight on.

I added Livlife bread for breakfast, Lidl roll for lunch. I also found I could manage 50g of rice and 60g of pasta occasionally.

My weight has gone up slightly and so has my HbA1c to 34. Not too bad but I'm still working on my diet.

What I think really helped as well was walking. I now walk about 8-10 miles a day.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@that steve
Just to add to the above. Deserts are normally either blueberries or strawberries and yogurt. I also added cheese and crackers when trying to put weight on. And I do indulge myself with a cup of coffee and some 90% chocolate,

Because of weight loss I was sent to dietitian who was very happy with my diet, I did explain most of my carbs came from vegetables which she thought was OK. She was also happy with my weight. It seems my GP had written my height down incorrectly and he is now pleased as my BMI is just over 20.