Newby confused angry and getting drunk

Story so far
Went to the doctors just before Christmas had a thrush type issue in a place a man would not like to mention at age late 50's.
Doctor examines and proscribes a hormone cream but mentions he wants me to have a blood test
Blood test comes back with a 9 I am told you may be diabetic but this is not conclusive need another test
Next test comes back at 10, my cream changed to an athletes foot cream, I ask are you sure this is appropriate for such a sensitive place my wife is not happy with no nuptuals :(
My Doctor retires, Sent to a nurse given a talk and given a Bayer kit and told to come back in 3 months for a special test
Being a man with a new toy stabbing myself to draw blood cutting out excessive carbs exercise and even admitting I am not invincible comes as a shock on all levels
Random stabbings show a bit of a trend, levels my are OK ish during the day but morning pre eating are high
So I read all the blurb everyone is different
Birthday comes around get sloshed on red wine readings in morning for the first time are normal , i hear cider works as well
hopefully will get some help in a few week from the doctor as I don’t want to be a diabetic

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Welcome the club that no-one wants to join memoriescondidered...

I understand that this is all a bit of a shock, and will take some getting used to, but it sounds to me that you've been very well looked after.

I too had the pre-diagnosis thrush problem, and I presume that by "athletes foot cream" you mean canestan or something similar? Don't knock it, it's good for temporary relief, but it probably won't clear the problem until you get your blood glucose under control. If yours is half as bad as mine was, then it's a great reason to cut your carbs.

memoriesconcidered said:
Sent to a nurse given a talk and given a Bayer kit and told to come back in 3 months for a special test
Being a man with a new toy stabbing myself to draw blood cutting out excessive carbs exercise and even admitting I am not invincible comes as a shock on all levels.

Compared to 90% of newly diagnosed T2s on here, you've been given great advice. Most of us don't get meters, and most of us aren't told to cut our carbs.

memoriesconcidered said:
Random stabbings show a bit of a trend, levels my are OK ish during the day but morning pre eating are high
So I read all the blurb everyone is different
Birthday comes around get sloshed on red wine readings in morning for the first time are normal , i hear cider works as well
hopefully will get some help in a few week from the doctor as I don’t want to be a diabetic

The bad news is that you don't get to choose not to be a diabetic. The good news is that if your manage your carb intake sensibly then you can get back to near non-diabetic blood levels (and minimise the chance of complication).

What does "my levels are OKish during the day" mean? Can you give us some typical numbers?

You're right that drinking alcohol can reduce your blood glucose levels, but it's hardly a sustainable long term strategy, and it probably isn't fair on your wife.

At the end of the day, it's only T2 diabetes, it means you can't eat all the things that you used to eat, but there are far worse illlnesses.

Good luck

Stephen

Stephen
Thanks for the reply still feel alone with this nice to communicate I don’t understand the its only type 2 comment
Around 7-8 during the day 9-10-11 morning
will always share the wine with my wife who is fully supportive

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
memoriesconcidered said:
Stephen
Thanks for the reply still feel alone with this nice to communicate I don’t understand the its only type 2 comment
Around 7-8 during the day 9-10-11 morning
will always share the wine with my wife who is fully supportive

Well there's lots of us here. I was trying to say, that T2 is something that you can deal with, it probably won't kill you, and if you are careful, there is no need to have any complications. Just didn't want you to hide behind the bottle, that's all.

You should be aiming for less than 7.5mmol/l 2 hours after eating. It takes a few weeks of controlling your carbs before the morning numbers drop off. Have you tested yourself before bedtime?

Stephen
boys love toys so i stabbed myself often I am around 6-7 through the night from tests from at 3 am and 5 am but it goes through the roof at 8 am to 10am levels of 9-10 -11 then i have breakfast.

Going to try the following to try to reduce my fasting high levels
Monday glass of red wine before bed
Tuesday two shots malt scotch
Wednesday no alcohol water only
Thursday large Brandy and coke
Friday white wine test
Saturday Gin and tonic
Sunday any suggestions?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. I also had thrush as a male and my doc prescribed cream and it didn't occur to him it could be a symptom of DB; at least your doc considered the possibility. I'm afraid you have joined a rapidly growing club of people with DB; none of us chose to join and you are not alone. Watch the cider as it may contain sugar. Do try keeping the carbs down and low-GI. All is not lost. For example my wife makes me Molly cake with lots of fruit, no added-sugar and almond flour. It's great and low-GI. Try Burgen bread.

thanks will try your recomendations easy to forget my wife is justs as concerned / worried as me we will try molly cake it will be good chance to have a chat together in the kitchen good advice

me-to-you71

hi
i have to go see doctor tomorrow as in very sore and titchy down below hard to sit down and walk dont no if its thrush or the sist i had before i found out i am diabetic 2 weeks ago :(

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
memoriesconcidered said:
Going to try the following to try to reduce my fasting high levels
Monday glass of red wine before bed
Tuesday two shots malt scotch
Wednesday no alcohol water only
Thursday large Brandy and coke
Friday white wine test
Saturday Gin and tonic
Sunday any suggestions?

Two G&T's (slimline of course) worked a treat for me last night. Got away with eating chocolate birthday cake and no spike. Highly recommended :lol:

Pneu

I am not quite so certain that daily consumption of alcohol is an entirely effective or recommended treatment for your diabetes

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Pneu said:
I am not quite so certain that daily consumption of alcohol is an entirely effective or recommended treatment for your diabetes

Me neither...

I have nothing against drinking, and I think that an occaisional a glass of red wine or two can help with your BG control, but I don't think that you should making alcohol a central park of your control regime is rather foolhardy.

Pneu

Well it's not even going to be that effective.. certainly the liver will stop releasing glucose whilst it is dealing with the alcohol.. but the one drink I would imagine that's going to last for probably 3 hours at maximum.. so depending on the level of pancreas function you have left I would think certainly more than one drink a day would be required... at that sort of level of consumption then you are probably controlling diabetes with alcoholism and swapping the various pleasures of diabetes for liver disease..

I was not entirely certain the post was serious.. but given we're on the newly diagnosed board it's worth stating that even if this was serious then I do not believe that it is actually even feasible as a method!!

C

catherinecherub

Pneu said:
I was not entirely certain the post was serious.. but given we're on the newly diagnosed board it's worth stating that even if this was serious then I do not believe that it is actually even feasible as a method!!
I thought it was a windup too. Drink will just create more problems.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
"Ah, Beer; the cause of and solution to all of my problems" as a wise philosopher once said.

Your morning highs are probably caused by the 'Dawn Phenomenon'; which is essentially your liver releasing glycogen to give you a boost when you wake up, which is all well and good unless you are a diabetic. What works well with that is taking Metformin; I think it's a pretty good drug all round with few problematic side effects (it can cause an upset stomach in some people but that can be dealt with with different types of the drug). Why not ask about it at your next check up?

Red wine is the best blood sugar reducer but I wouldn't advise that as a serious strategy for coping. Beer, by the way is full of carbs so don't try that...

Dillinger

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pneu said:
Well it's not even going to be that effective.. certainly the liver will stop releasing glucose whilst it is dealing with the alcohol.. but the one drink I would imagine that's going to last for probably 3 hours at maximum..

This is true - any alcohol for me has the undesired effect of raising my bs a couple of points for about 24hrs afterwards - whatever I eat - I do have a drink with a meal out but no more than 3

an example is on Saturday night went to a party had 3 vodka & diet coke - had some buffet just salad stuff and meats and one bite size sausage roll - a lot less carbs than my usual evening meal - when I got home I tested and was 4.1 so had a slice of burgen with some ham - all the next day couldn't get below 6.5 no matter how little carbs I ate - I usually have about 90g carb a day and stay in the 4 - 7 range - mostly around 5 - had about 60g on Sunday - back to normal now though - so no it isn't the answer for everyone!

Thanks for the advice, still thought the wine was best out of the lot :)
Morning pre eating levels still quite bad I am still waiting for the second appointment and the 3 month test ,started to read Dr Bernstineins Diabetes solution anyone read it?