Newcastle Diet - So far So Good :)

Spike54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for the wall of text.

The short version: I’m a very happy chap

Hi everybody. I’m new here and this is my first post. I’m 69 and I’m lucky enough to live in a village in the Italian Alps. About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Initially I was injecting insulin every day and taking Metformin after each meal. After 1 year, or so, my doctor changed my prescription and at the moment I inject “long lasting” insulin once a week and take 1 tablet of “long lasting” Metformin each evening after dinner. The earlier dosage of Metformin was causing intermittent bouts of terrible diarrhoea.

Before I started the diet, my glucose meter reading ranged between 120 mg/dl and 130 before breakfast and 140 and higher 2 hours after meals.

Three days ago my fasting reading was 94, followed by 93 and 108 after meals. This morning my before breakfast reading was 84.

When I started my treatment I weighed 105 Kg. A month ago I realised I was 114.5 Kg and decided it was time to get my **** in gear and try to do something about it. I came across Rod Taylor’s book and on the 19th of July I started the “Newcastle Diet” which seemed very straightforward.

I use the Italian diet powder called “Peso Forma” which comes in three flavours: Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry and Banana. I never dreamt in a million years that I would get fed up with drinking chocolate smoothies! I soon began to supplement these with vegetable puree soup, homemade tomato soup, curried vegetable puree, along with tuna, prawn and smoked salmon salads. I always make sure I stick to the 200 calories per meal limit. I “cheat” once a week and go out for a pizza with my partner (I compensate by eating a bit less on that day, but it is so worth it!). The only problem I have had so far is constipation but I resolved that by taking a herbal laxative.

I’ve only just discovered something called Konjac Rice. It’s only 10 calories for 100g. I tried some with a spicy tomato “arrabbiata” sauce and it was great. I’ve ordered more from Amazon and to be honest my mouth is watering at the thought of all sorts of different risottos, rice salads etc. Unfortunately it is very expensive when compared to ordinary rice.

Today I weighed in at 106.9 Kg so I’ve lost 7.6 Kg (1.1 stones) in just under a month. I realise I need to get down to at least 85 Kg to perhaps undo my diabetes so there is still a very long way to go. So far I’m very pleased with my progress and hope it continues. I can’t thank Rod Taylor and his team enough.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @Spike54 and welcome to the forum.
My only comment is that you seem to be losing weight a little faster than the NHS advises here in the UK, Here they advise to lose it at up to 2lbs (or 1Kg) per week.

I must confess I've never been more than slightly overweight, so Blood Glucose levels rather than weight was the priority for me. Thus I didn't do the Newcastle Diet and instead took the Low Carb route to remission. However I did lose weight at a rate of between 1lb to 2lbs per week before getting my BBG levels and HbA1C back into normal (not even pre-diabetic) levels.

Reactions: solo091

Spike54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply. Yes you are right about the health service recommendations for weight loss. I think the Italian health service gives much the same advice. As you probably know, the Newcastle diet is a crash diet which aims to drop one's weight as quickly as possible. The trick will of course be keeping it off. All I know is that I feel much better both physically and physiologically since I started the diet. I just hope it continues :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Spike54
As another who has experienced some success using the Newcastle diet methods, albeit twelve years ago, I am pleased that you are finding it helpful.

So far, so good, but I hope you won’t mind me mentioning some possible pitfalls? My own experience was during the time the method was still in experimental stages.
I had been struggling with obesity, despite following advice of the NHS weight management team to base my diet mainly on ‘healthy carbohydrates‘. I continued to gain weight, and my T2 diabetes wasn’t improving either. I was told the only solution was bariatric surgery. The Newcastle method had been hypothesised as an alternative to such drastic surgery, and I got the weight management team and my GP to agree to support me in following the method.
Within a couple of days I had blood glucose at non-diabetes levels. I lost a total of 49kg by following the method for one 12 week period, had a break of 4 weeks, then completed another 9 weeks. I did not feel hungry at all. Probably due to this mehod of calorie restriction is by definition also a low carb ketogenic method.

I managed to maintain non-diabetes levels for 9 years. More recently pre-diabetes levels, until a year ago, when I tipped back into diabetes levels. Currently have other health problems and despite trying keto, fasting ,and low carb (60g a day) struggling to gain diabetes control once again. About 20 of the lost kgs have found me again.

The main point I should be getting across is that the Newcastle diet can be great to give a quick kick start to weight loss and T2 management, but the flaw , in my opinion, is that people, including HCPs and researchers, often fail to realise that the calorie restriction phase is just the beginning. It is essential to have a follow on plan. To return to the previous way of eating, or think you have completed a ‘one off cure’ will lead to weight regain with the probability of returning to diabetes blood glucose levels. What I was not made aware of all those years ago, is that the ND is not a cure. It is a method to reduce the visceral fat, insulin resistance, too. Return to a diet high in carbs and all that effort will be wasted.

I am , by no means trying to put you off. You have found something that is giving you the encouragement and motivation to take back control. I just want to make you aware of the pitfall I experienced, so that you can avoid it. I would recommend finding out as much as you can about low carb way of eating. It is a way of life, rather than a diet. Have a look at the low carb subforums, and be prepared for the post calorie restrictive phase of your current ND phase.

Wishing you every success, and please do keep us updated with your progress.

• Informative
Reactions: Outlier and Antje77

lawrence21360

Hi everybody. I’m new here and this is my first post. I’m 69 and I’m lucky enough to live in a village in the Italian Alps. About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Initially I was injecting insulin every day and taking Metformin after each meal. After 1 year, or so, my doctor changed my prescription and at the moment I inject “long lasting” insulin once a week and take 1 tablet of “long lasting” Metformin each evening after dinner. The earlier dosage of Metformin was causing intermittent bouts of terrible diarrhoea.

Before I started the diet, my glucose meter reading ranged between 120 mg/dl and 130 before breakfast and 140 and higher 2 hours after meals.

Three days ago my fasting reading was 94, followed by 93 and 108 after meals. This morning my before breakfast reading was 84.

When I started my treatment I weighed 105 Kg. A month ago I realised I was 114.5 Kg and decided it was time to get my **** in gear and try to do something about it. I came across Rod Taylor’s book and on the 19th of July I started the “Newcastle Diet” which seemed very straightforward.

I use the Italian diet powder called “Peso Forma” which comes in three flavours: Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry and Banana. I never dreamt in a million years that I would get fed up with drinking chocolate smoothies! I soon began to supplement these with vegetable puree soup, homemade tomato soup, curried vegetable puree, along with tuna, prawn and smoked salmon salads. I always make sure I stick to the 200 calories per meal limit. I “cheat” once a week and go out for a pizza with my partner (I compensate by eating a bit less on that day, but it is so worth it!). The only problem I have had so far is constipation but I resolved that by taking a herbal laxative.

I’ve only just discovered something called Konjac Rice. It’s only 10 calories for 100g. I tried some with a spicy tomato “arrabbiata” sauce and it was great. I’ve ordered more from Amazon and to be honest my mouth is watering at the thought of all sorts of different risottos, rice salads etc. Unfortunately it is very expensive when compared to ordinary rice.

Today I weighed in at 106.9 Kg so I’ve lost 7.6 Kg (1.1 stones) in just under a month. I realise I need to get down to at least 85 Kg to perhaps undo my diabetes so there is still a very long way to go. So far I’m very pleased with my progress and hope it continues. I can’t thank Rod Taylor and his team enough.
i like roy taylors book living without diabetes because it gives many recipes which will keep the weight from returning

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pipp

lawrence21360

Hi @Spike54
As another who has experienced some success using the Newcastle diet methods, albeit twelve years ago, I am pleased that you are finding it helpful.

So far, so good, but I hope you won’t mind me mentioning some possible pitfalls? My own experience was during the time the method was still in experimental stages.
I had been struggling with obesity, despite following advice of the NHS weight management team to base my diet mainly on ‘healthy carbohydrates‘. I continued to gain weight, and my T2 diabetes wasn’t improving either. I was told the only solution was bariatric surgery. The Newcastle method had been hypothesised as an alternative to such drastic surgery, and I got the weight management team and my GP to agree to support me in following the method.
Within a couple of days I had blood glucose at non-diabetes levels. I lost a total of 49kg by following the method for one 12 week period, had a break of 4 weeks, then completed another 9 weeks. I did not feel hungry at all. Probably due to this mehod of calorie restriction is by definition also a low carb ketogenic method.

I managed to maintain non-diabetes levels for 9 years. More recently pre-diabetes levels, until a year ago, when I tipped back into diabetes levels. Currently have other health problems and despite trying keto, fasting ,and low carb (60g a day) struggling to gain diabetes control once again. About 20 of the lost kgs have found me again.

The main point I should be getting across is that the Newcastle diet can be great to give a quick kick start to weight loss and T2 management, but the flaw , in my opinion, is that people, including HCPs and researchers, often fail to realise that the calorie restriction phase is just the beginning. It is essential to have a follow on plan. To return to the previous way of eating, or think you have completed a ‘one off cure’ will lead to weight regain with the probability of returning to diabetes blood glucose levels. What I was not made aware of all those years ago, is that the ND is not a cure. It is a method to reduce the visceral fat, insulin resistance, too. Return to a diet high in carbs and all that effort will be wasted.

I am , by no means trying to put you off. You have found something that is giving you the encouragement and motivation to take back control. I just want to make you aware of the pitfall I experienced, so that you can avoid it. I would recommend finding out as much as you can about low carb way of eating. It is a way of life, rather than a diet. Have a look at the low carb subforums, and be prepared for the post calorie restrictive phase of your current ND phase.

exercise ?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes sorry bout delay in replying
Thanks @lawrence21360 . Not sure if you mean now, or when I originally followed the Newcastle diet in 2011?
Back then I was mainly exercising in water, swimming 5x 1 hour sessions a week, aquafit classes, 5x1 hour sessions a week.

More recently walking as much as possible, 3x1 hour swim sessions a week, and 2 x1 hour aquafit sessions a week. For someone with painful arthritic joints water based exercise is most comfortable. Especially if overweight, too.

Alas, this past two months I have some serious health emergencies, and exercise has been minimal. Though I still swim and go to aquafit seesions whenever possible.

• Hug
Reactions: Oldvatr

Agrayless

Well done Pip.....it's all about attitude....wish I had it....enjoy the snow ....prego

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Spike54

Thanks Pipp for such an informative post. I tried ND back in 2018 but didn't manage to stick with it.

Can I ask, for those 9 years after you completed it, were you having BG spikes after eating carbs or were you able to return to relatively normal eating habits (e.g. portion control but a normal mix of macros)? Did your insulin resistance improve enough that you didn't have to do low carb to control your levels?

I'm curious about trying it again now there seems to be a lot more data available, as a quick way to reduce my BG and improve insulin sensitivity, but I'm curious about the post-diet lifestyle

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Pipp for such an informative post. I tried ND back in 2018 but didn't manage to stick with it.

Can I ask, for those 9 years after you completed it, were you having BG spikes after eating carbs or were you able to return to relatively normal eating habits (e.g. portion control but a normal mix of macros)? Did your insulin resistance improve enough that you didn't have to do low carb to control your levels?

I'm curious about trying it again now there seems to be a lot more data available, as a quick way to reduce my BG and improve insulin sensitivity, but I'm curious about the post-diet lifestyle
Hi @AlexMagd
In the initial four or five years after the ND I found I could eat any foods , including high carbs , without spiking BG levels. I even accepted a challenge to overload with carbs, as an experiment. No problems experienced, apart from feeling nauseous, and a difficult to control carb craving that lasted several weeks.

Gradually, I seem to have become less carb tolerant. Age, other health conditions, steroid meds, being less active, possibly cause some of this. I am not feeling inclined to increase carb intake, to test any theories, though.

Reactions: AlexMagd