Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Sorry - I meant - keep US updated!

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 28 - half way point. Weight down again. Weight loss since starting ND 7.5kg. Fasting blood 4.2. BMI 24.2. Very happy with the results so far. I have another 4.4kg to go to reach the magic 82.5 - which will be 25% of my body weight from when I started losing weight last September. So close!!!!

Reactions: 8 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
HI Telandy

I try and put off the first shake for the day till as close to midday as possible. I can do this by drinking loads of tea and water. Then I have the next one around 4pm.

Around 7.30pm I have my 'meal' with the family. This is usually a salad or soup that I have made for my self - but I have also tried a lot of alternatives for taste - garlic mushrooms are my favorite - they are really tasty, close to meat in texture and light - do you get more volume. I put it together with some salad - 50/50 up to 200gms.

Then it's tea or water till the next day. I do have zero calorie fizzy drinks for taste and because they tend to fill me up a little better.

If my fasting readings stay low for a couple more days I will consider coming off the meds. I have been having a few DP's (dawn phenomenon) episodes
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html
so don't want to take any risks.

Think I'll talk to my Diabetic Nurse and see what she suggests.

telandy

HI Telandy

I try and put off the first shake for the day till as close to midday as possible. I can do this by drinking loads of tea and water. Then I have the next one around 4pm.

Around 7.30pm I have my 'meal' with the family. This is usually a salad or soup that I have made for my self - but I have also tried a lot of alternatives for taste - garlic mushrooms are my favorite - they are really tasty, close to meat in texture and light - do you get more volume. I put it together with some salad - 50/50 up to 200gms.

Then it's tea or water till the next day. I do have zero calorie fizzy drinks for taste and because they tend to fill me up a little better.

If my fasting readings stay low for a couple more days I will consider coming off the meds. I have been having a few DP's (dawn phenomenon) episodes
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html
so don't want to take any risks.

Think I'll talk to my Diabetic Nurse and see what she suggests.

Steve50

Thanks for the insight, very interesting, I have been having the meal at lunchtime. salads and soups (with added salt and olive oil) but I have found that I am peckish in the evening. Good idea with the mushrooms. What I also am doing is counting my steps every day to keep active, some days are better than others but I am trying to average 10000 steps per day.

I was a big tea with milk drinker, so I am now having fruit tea and water varying it with zero calorie cola, but I may gone down your route taking the shake later and that way trying to keep the munchies away.

Off for a long walk in the fresh air (rain)!

Reactions: 4 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 29. Weight down a little more 0.1kg. Total weight loss on ND 7.6kg. BMI still 24.2. Fasting blood up a little - 5.6.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 30. No change to the weight - but fasting blood was 4.8. All good and still hanging in. :happy:

Reactions: 6 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
End of week 7
Total weight lost 19Kg's
Beginning to see the end now as today will be my last day of diet next week and then on to some normal food.
Sick of shakes but not of veggies and soups as I can alter them a little to my taste
Fasting BG ranges between 4.2 and 4.8 although I only saw a 4.8 one day, average has been more or less like 4.5 both fasting and throughout the day.
Wearing a very loose and baggy looking 30 waist trouser now and I know if I get a 28 I will fit in it but I would not really like to go in that region, I really atleast want 30.
As per whatever I have heard and researched, Prof Taylor says 15kg or I think it was 25% of body weight needs to be lost in 8 weeks (I could be wrong as I think I read it somewhere) and I have gone beyond that in both respects.

Reactions: 13 people

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Simple terms. For me it took less than a week on a Newcastle diet to bring blood glucose to normal levels. They remain so some 3+ years later, despite still having some 5+ stones to lose.
Whoever told you in such graphic terms what T 2 could do to your body did you a favour. Like many have reported, all I was told was ' It is a progressive disease, but you control with medication, and eat lots of starchy carbs'. I believe the starchy carbs advice was what tipped me over the threshold of T2 in the first place due to gaining weight on that diet.

I think the attraction of the ND is that it can for some people resolve high BG. very rapidly. For me, I have been able to eat anything at all without the spikes in BG. Yet this is the 'catch 22' . Without the spectre of raised BG, and being weak willed I have indulged rather too much in the sort of foods that make me gain weight. Therefore, thanks to @geordie90 giving me a wake up call I will do something about it.

I know there are many who successfully manage T2 with the LCHF method. Tried it, it did not work for me. Gained weight, had the most awful abdominal pains and diarrhoea. So I think we each need to find our own way to manage.T2 that suits. Ideally I need to lose a lot more weight, then stop eating (ok and drinking beer and wine ) in the quantities I have been to maintain a decent weight for me that avoids the danger of tipping back to T2 levels. I am happy with the T2 reversal I have achieved as an alternative to other ways of eating that may still require me to take diabetes medication. I have not needed any diabetes medication for a year now and want to keep it that way.

Admittedly, you make a very valid point, that we need to find a sustainable diet for life. ND is short term, but the advice thereafter is to reduce food intake by about a third of previous. It is very specific. This is where I have slipped up. Time to do something about it before I regret it.

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Pipp - can you tell me how you were able to reduce meds while on the diet first time around?
Simple terms. For me it took less than a week on a Newcastle diet to bring blood glucose to normal levels. They remain so some 3+ years later, despite still having some 5+ stones to lose.
Whoever told you in such graphic terms what T 2 could do to your body did you a favour. Like many have reported, all I was told was ' It is a progressive disease, but you control with medication, and eat lots of starchy carbs'. I believe the starchy carbs advice was what tipped me over the threshold of T2 in the first place due to gaining weight on that diet.

I think the attraction of the ND is that it can for some people resolve high BG. very rapidly. For me, I have been able to eat anything at all without the spikes in BG. Yet this is the 'catch 22' . Without the spectre of raised BG, and being weak willed I have indulged rather too much in the sort of foods that make me gain weight. Therefore, thanks to @geordie90 giving me a wake up call I will do something about it.

I know there are many who successfully manage T2 with the LCHF method. Tried it, it did not work for me. Gained weight, had the most awful abdominal pains and diarrhoea. So I think we each need to find our own way to manage.T2 that suits. Ideally I need to lose a lot more weight, then stop eating (ok and drinking beer and wine ) in the quantities I have been to maintain a decent weight for me that avoids the danger of tipping back to T2 levels. I am happy with the T2 reversal I have achieved as an alternative to other ways of eating that may still require me to take diabetes medication. I have not needed any diabetes medication for a year now and want to keep it that way.

Admittedly, you make a very valid point, that we need to find a sustainable diet for life. ND is short term, but the advice thereafter is to reduce food intake by about a third of previous. It is very specific. This is where I have slipped up. Time to do something about it before I regret it.

trotskyite

End of week 7
Total weight lost 19Kg's
Beginning to see the end now as today will be my last day of diet next week and then on to some normal food.
Sick of shakes but not of veggies and soups as I can alter them a little to my taste
Fasting BG ranges between 4.2 and 4.8 although I only saw a 4.8 one day, average has been more or less like 4.5 both fasting and throughout the day.
Wearing a very loose and baggy looking 30 waist trouser now and I know if I get a 28 I will fit in it but I would not really like to go in that region, I really atleast want 30.
As per whatever I have heard and researched, Prof Taylor says 15kg or I think it was 25% of body weight needs to be lost in 8 weeks (I could be wrong as I think I read it somewhere) and I have gone beyond that in both respects.
Great job!
That reminded me when I got down to your level I chucked or gave away all my clothes so I couldn't grow back into them again :)

mohanankur

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
End of week 7
Total weight lost 19Kg's
Well done Mate. :) It's awesome and inspiring.

Reactions: 2 people

telandy

I have an appraissal with my boss in a posh hotel next week including dinner, so I am going to have to break the ND, any thoughts no alcohol. protein, low carbs. I probably wont be able to get away with a salad or soup. Day 9 for me and my stomach is reducing and there is a nice warm feeling inside,

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 14 and have lost a complete stone (14lbs) since starting ND. Clothes more comfortable as Telandy above mentions - stomach & face showing the main losses, athough the wristwatch is loose on my wrist too :rolleyes:

Reactions: 9 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 31 - and away on business - so no scales. Fasting blood 5.9.

In a similar situation to Telandy - have to go out for dinner tonight with 'clients'. I have decided not to drink wine. It should be ok if I stick to Diet Coke etc... and for the meal I'll order a steak with a salad. That looks like a pretty normal type of meal - and while it will probably push over the 600cals - at least it is HFLC. I'll avoid the bread and deserts of course. And I plan on taking some time in the hotel gym to either burn it off before or after. It will be interesting to see if if spikes my blood, reverses ketosis and/or sets back the ND effect.

Otherwise - I'm able to have shakes for other meals.

However - did have to buy some new clothes!

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 14 and have lost a complete stone (14lbs) since starting ND. Clothes more comfortable as Telandy above mentions - stomach & face showing the main losses, athough the wristwatch is loose on my wrist too :rolleyes:
Well done Rob. Great effort.

It's really odd when you notice where the weight is coming off. I noticed one day that I was walking round inside my trousers! They used to fit snugly - then all of a sudden I felt the front and back of my legs touching the material as I walked. I also noticed my slip on shoes were lose!

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Rob. Great effort.

It's really odd when you notice where the weight is coming off. I noticed one day that I was walking round inside my trousers! They used to fit snugly - then all of a sudden I felt the front and back of my legs touching the material as I walked. I also noticed my slip on shoes were lose!
Yep, my very tight stretchy 38" waist trousers are now comfortable and my belt has done up 3 notches more...was just making the last hole a couple of weks ago.

Reactions: 6 people