Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pip - you are a legend!

Not really, desperation made me do it. Alternative was bariatric surgery. When the docs said the total food replacement couldn't be done, I had to show they were wrong.

It was a chance I took. I knew the chance was I would be proved wrong, but my body = my responsibility. Whilst surgery is the answer for some it is not for me.

Still have a way to go with weight loss, but blood glucose is all fine. Currently almost 5kg lighter than when I started on 29 March. BG fasting today 4.8. An adapted VLCD this time using shakes and one small meal of real food. Around 800 - 900 cals a day. I no longer have the urgent need to 'reverse' as that seems stable, but concern is that if I don't lose more excess weight, as I get older the BG control could once again be lost.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@geordie90
How are you getting on?
You have inspired others with your thread, so don't keep us in suspense!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi pipp going ok had loads going on recently so been a bit remiss lol back on it the mora
Good for you. Don't forget this is not the only way to do it.

With ND you really need to choose a time when you are less likely to be sidetracked by social eating, or even stressful situations.

MizzRyan69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being diabetic. .
What shakes can you use that are purchased in shops and not on line. . And these are made with water? Is this water part of your 3 litre a day drinking? Really want to give this a try. .

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What shakes can you use that are purchased in shops and not on line. . And these are made with water? Is this water part of your 3 litre a day drinking? Really want to give this a try. .

Some people use Slimfast, also supermarkets do their own brand.

If you want a total food replacement pharmacies do Lipotrim. They monitor you as well.

Make sure you read all the literature, get support of GP too. It doesn't suit everyone.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's the problem loads of temptations need to go of on a dessert island
Suggests this is not the best time for you. I have, this time, made sure I keep to less than 1000 calls a day, so include real food too. If I have a few more cals one day I reduce a bit the next, so I average the intake. Whatever method you decide, remember why you want/need to do it.

If you are going to eat real food, or feel like you need a treat, keep it low carb. You know carbs are the cause of the raised weight and BG.

Don't give up. Coz you said 'who's gonna do it with me' so no slacking now man!

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Day 8 - total weight loss 4.3kg. Bloods 5.8 - a little elevated on the last reading but the 7 day average is well below 7. New BMI 25.2. At this rate I may have a 'Normal' BMI some time this week (for the first time in recent memory).

Reactions: 8 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Mizz

I have been using Slimfast. Not the powder - just the bottles. I also have the veg supplement once a day and have posted some recipes on the recipes blog - on this site. I made the mistake of forgetting to drink enough water. I have also added some salt and oil to the veg meal.

God luck with it.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mizz

I have been using Slimfast. Not the powder - just the bottles. I also have the veg supplement once a day and have posted some recipes on the recipes blog - on this site. I made the mistake of forgetting to drink enough water. I have also added some salt and oil to the veg meal.

God luck with it.

Great, I will take a look at the recipes. I think the key to it all is to be inventive, innovative even, to yet variety of tastes and flavours so the veg is the treat in this.

Enough water is vital or you will get constipated. The exercise from all that getting up to go for a pee helps. Drink doesn't need to be water though, tea, coffee, mineral water ok as well.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Pip

Because you are interested - I have included my recipes post here;

From - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetable-recipes-for-the-newcastle-diet.34200/

Last night I dry fried 250 gm of cauliflower and liberally sprinkled a nice curry powder over it (about a desert spoon). Then slow roasted it for about an hour. I think I'm going to do this much more often - fantastic flavour. Might even consider blending it down for a soup - but the texture was also really nice as roasted veg. Its bit more grown up.

I have also found some vinaigrettes at Waitrose - great to mask the bland taste of crunchy salads. But add this at the last minute - or it turns the salad soggy.

Another thing I have tried is garlic mushrooms. I just crush about 4 cloves of garlic over 250 gm of button mushrooms, then place them in a shallow dish and bake for about 30 minutes. Give them a stir as you go along - to circulate the garlic. It caramelises nicely and the juice released from the mushrooms helps the garlic coat the mushrooms. It has a really strong flavour and lovely texture - almost good enough to serve as a meat substitute.

I don't really like the soup idea so much - it feels like more of a starter than a main - but I did have a go at a simple sweet pepper and tomato soup. About 125 gm of each and 300ml of vegie stock (I have used a piece of a stock cube in plain water). The secret is to roast the veg first. This intensifies the flavour. You want to get it to the point where the colour changes noticeably. I leave skin on - but it has a smoother texture if you can take the skin off (I can be bothered!). I don't seed the tomatoes because the sweetness of the pepers counters the bitterness of the seeds - and the more texture the better - I say! Combine with the stock - blend and serve. I top it with shredded basil.

If anyone has any broccoli ideas I would be very interested. I don't think you can serve overcooked broccoli to humans. Cant be served cold or uncooked - there are rules! It needs to have some heat and yet crunch and texture for the flavour - but it needs help. A half a teaspoon of lemon juice will help keep it vibrant and fresh - and then into the mocro for about 1 minute. A complementary herb like fresh chives or sage (maybe even toasted sage leaves) over lightly microwaved broccoli will work. Maybe a very small sprinkle of salt. Don't use coriander - tastes like dishwater. (haven't made my peace with that herb yet!)

I love a roasted carrot. Again - not over done - leave some crunch to it - about 40 minutes at 180c. But the intensity of flavour is lovely. Just a small sprinkle of salt. To stop them drying out I roast them in a foil pocket - and then take them out for the last 5 minutes. These are good with water chestnuts. The flavours work - and you have good textures. Tinned are good - lightly heated in the micro - or just as they are. A more classic combination would be some fresh grated ginger added to the roasting bag (about a teaspoon). Or even Fennel seeds - (just a half teaspoon - they are quite strong) Yum!

My dirty secret is Brussel sprouts. I realise quite a few of you will be signing off round about now (if you made it this far!) - but like broccoli - these need to be done right. Nothing wrong with boiling sprouts - but there is a danger in overdoing them. I like to microwave them - more even cook. Half a teaspoon of lemon juice - enough to keep the vibrancy - not enough to change the taste. Then I slice two large shallots (I prefer the taste to onions). These need to be dry fried to death - take them right down to a crisp in a non stick frying pan if you can. Try not to burn them - they go bitter - but a really dark brown - get as much moisture our of them as possible. This should work if you don't have too much heat. Sprinkle these over the sprouts - lovely.

I would combine celery, leaks. large mushrooms and carrots to make a lovely vegie stock. (this is about all that celery is good for!). Add some garlic and a bit of salt, a bay leaf and some herbs you like (not corriander - no-one likes that!) - and dry roast them in the oven for about 30 minutes - then add 1 ltr boiling water. Keep it in the oven and reduce it by half. Then strain it off. Keep the stock - throw the veg. This makes a great base for a soup - or veg stew.

Ratatouille is easy to do - if you can deal with the texture. the main ingredients are aubergines, tomatoes, courgettes, shallots and peppers (50 gm of each). I add one crushed clove of garlic to the onion - but don't add it till the onion is almost cooked - or it will burn. I like to use cherry tomatoes. The secret to this dish is not to make it too wet. Dry fry off each off the veg. A teaspoon of olive oil may help. Get them to the golden brown stage (except the tomatoes - of course - just soften them in the frying pan). I do them one veg at a time - then put them onto a tray in the oven to keep warm. Spread them out on the oven tray - so they don't go too soggy. Once you have done each of them - bring them together with half a teaspoon of lemon juice, loads of black pepper and some torn (not cut) fresh basil and a small pinch of salt.

Don't know what to do about cabbage? Again - this could be tricky. Too soft and you have to throw it away (this is law in some countries). Shred 250 gm and lightly boil - then strain. Then dry fry with half a teaspoon of lemon juice and a desert spoon of good curry powder. The lemon juice will help the powder to coat the cabbage and keep it vibrant. Just cook it off for about 1-2 minutes in the frying pan till the curry smell intensifies. Yum!

I see no problem with making larger quantities of things I like and then reheating smaller amounts for a more varied plate of food. I am not a veggie by choice so making food interesting without protein is tough.

Let me know how you get on! Or if you have any suggestions.

Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pip

From - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetable-recipes-for-the-newcastle-diet.34200/

Last night I dry fried 250 gm of cauliflower and liberally sprinkled a nice curry powder over it (about a desert spoon). Then slow roasted it for about an hour. I think I'm going to do this much more often - fantastic flavour. Might even consider blending it down for a soup - but the texture was also really nice as roasted veg. Its bit more grown up.

I have also found some vinaigrettes at Waitrose - great to mask the bland taste of crunchy salads. But add this at the last minute - or it turns the salad soggy.

Another thing I have tried is garlic mushrooms. I just crush about 4 cloves of garlic over 250 gm of button mushrooms, then place them in a shallow dish and bake for about 30 minutes. Give them a stir as you go along - to circulate the garlic. It caramelises nicely and the juice released from the mushrooms helps the garlic coat the mushrooms. It has a really strong flavour and lovely texture - almost good enough to serve as a meat substitute.

I don't really like the soup idea so much - it feels like more of a starter than a main - but I did have a go at a simple sweet pepper and tomato soup. About 125 gm of each and 300ml of vegie stock (I have used a piece of a stock cube in plain water). The secret is to roast the veg first. This intensifies the flavour. You want to get it to the point where the colour changes noticeably. I leave skin on - but it has a smoother texture if you can take the skin off (I can be bothered!). I don't seed the tomatoes because the sweetness of the pepers counters the bitterness of the seeds - and the more texture the better - I say! Combine with the stock - blend and serve. I top it with shredded basil.

If anyone has any broccoli ideas I would be very interested. I don't think you can serve overcooked broccoli to humans. Cant be served cold or uncooked - there are rules! It needs to have some heat and yet crunch and texture for the flavour - but it needs help. A half a teaspoon of lemon juice will help keep it vibrant and fresh - and then into the mocro for about 1 minute. A complementary herb like fresh chives or sage (maybe even toasted sage leaves) over lightly microwaved broccoli will work. Maybe a very small sprinkle of salt. Don't use coriander - tastes like dishwater. (haven't made my peace with that herb yet!)

I love a roasted carrot. Again - not over done - leave some crunch to it - about 40 minutes at 180c. But the intensity of flavour is lovely. Just a small sprinkle of salt. To stop them drying out I roast them in a foil pocket - and then take them out for the last 5 minutes. These are good with water chestnuts. The flavours work - and you have good textures. Tinned are good - lightly heated in the micro - or just as they are. A more classic combination would be some fresh grated ginger added to the roasting bag (about a teaspoon). Or even Fennel seeds - (just a half teaspoon - they are quite strong) Yum!

My dirty secret is Brussel sprouts. I realise quite a few of you will be signing off round about now (if you made it this far!) - but like broccoli - these need to be done right. Nothing wrong with boiling sprouts - but there is a danger in overdoing them. I like to microwave them - more even cook. Half a teaspoon of lemon juice - enough to keep the vibrancy - not enough to change the taste. Then I slice two large shallots (I prefer the taste to onions). These need to be dry fried to death - take them right down to a crisp in a non stick frying pan if you can. Try not to burn them - they go bitter - but a really dark brown - get as much moisture our of them as possible. This should work if you don't have too much heat. Sprinkle these over the sprouts - lovely.

I would combine celery, leaks. large mushrooms and carrots to make a lovely vegie stock. (this is about all that celery is good for!). Add some garlic and a bit of salt, a bay leaf and some herbs you like (not corriander - no-one likes that!) - and dry roast them in the oven for about 30 minutes - then add 1 ltr boiling water. Keep it in the oven and reduce it by half. Then strain it off. Keep the stock - throw the veg. This makes a great base for a soup - or veg stew.

Ratatouille is easy to do - if you can deal with the texture. the main ingredients are aubergines, tomatoes, courgettes, shallots and peppers (50 gm of each). I add one crushed clove of garlic to the onion - but don't add it till the onion is almost cooked - or it will burn. I like to use cherry tomatoes. The secret to this dish is not to make it too wet. Dry fry off each off the veg. A teaspoon of olive oil may help. Get them to the golden brown stage (except the tomatoes - of course - just soften them in the frying pan). I do them one veg at a time - then put them onto a tray in the oven to keep warm. Spread them out on the oven tray - so they don't go too soggy. Once you have done each of them - bring them together with half a teaspoon of lemon juice, loads of black pepper and some torn (not cut) fresh basil and a small pinch of salt.

Don't know what to do about cabbage? Again - this could be tricky. Too soft and you have to throw it away (this is law in some countries). Shred 250 gm and lightly boil - then strain. Then dry fry with half a teaspoon of lemon juice and a desert spoon of good curry powder. The lemon juice will help the powder to coat the cabbage and keep it vibrant. Just cook it off for about 1-2 minutes in the frying pan till the curry smell intensifies. Yum!

I see no problem with making larger quantities of things I like and then reheating smaller amounts for a more varied plate of food. I am not a veggie by choice so making food interesting without protein is tough.

I'm not on the ND, but follow these threads, with interest. I'll try some of your veggie suggestions as accompaniments along the way.

For Brussels, which are little green gems, in my view, I like to par boil/steam, then chop on halves or thirds (still chunky), sweat down some streaky bacon, or lardons, to render the fat and make it a bit crispier. Cut or break up the bacon then add the Brussels back and turn up the heat. Stir fry until some of the edges of the Brussels caramelise in the bacon fat, or slam it in the oven for a while. Utterly delicious, if not entirely ND friendly!!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pip

Drooling! Thanks.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just noticed a very odd side effect - hair GAIN!!!! I can find stuff about hair loss on the web - but very interested in the idea of growing some back - unless it is just my imagination!

Alpaca

Hi Pip

Feeling very inspired now, these recipes sound so good!