Newly diagnosed 29th November.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,

I have posted in the Greetings/Intro thread of what happened on my GP visit a few days ago when I was diagnosed as a Type 2.

I'm feeling overwhelmed about the diagnosis and all the new Information I'm trying to take in.

I'm tired a lot but hope this will subside as my Blood Glucose lowers.

I took my first Metformin tablet at Breakfast yesterday and was nervous about any side-effects but so far
been OK.

I'm up early so thought I would come on here. I'm trying to decide what to have for Breakfast.

I'm thinking of having a poached Egg with 2 oven cooked Chicken sausages, some fried Mushrooms and one slice of fried Burgen Bread with butter and Coffee with Double Cream. I've not had fried Bread for a long time and makes a change from toast.

Not sure what to have later. Need some inspiration.

I

Reactions: Prem51

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning. I’m a relative newbie too and know it can be very overwhelming and a lot to take in. I don’t feel experienced enough to give you real advise but just wanted to say you’ve got this! Give it some time to sink in, keep reading all advice and ask as many questions as you need :)

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too am a relative newbie. My advice would be to read, read and read everything you possibly can. Someone more experienced will be along to advise I’m sure. Good luck. Once you get your head round it all you will feel so much better x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Emma,

It's nice to have your reply. I'm feeling a bit down and your reply helped me feel better, so thanks.

I think high Blood Sugar can affect my mood.

I agree to give it time to sink in and to keep reading all the advice. I will try and overcome my shyness at asking question lol.

I'm glad to be able to come here and appreciate you taking the time to say hello. : - )

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Flora,

Thanks for the advice on reading. I will be doing a lot of that so this Forum will be where I spend most of my time online. I will be glad when I've come to terms with this Diagnosis and feel less vulnerable and scared of what I've done to myself by being so overweight. The good news is as I'm learning I'm getting motivated to make lifestyle changes and kick this thing in the butt hahaha ….

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I think high Blood Sugar can affect my mood.
In my experience, yes!! a couple of years before being diagnosed I treated my husband like I don't know what, and I was unhappy about it, and didn't know why I did it because I loved him, and still do, to bits. He was and is an extremely patient man, but sometimes I'd wonder why he didn't choose to leave. Well, he didn't. I was diagnosed, my blood sugar came down and I began to feel like my old self again.
I'm really not good at food, but I'll be having 3-4 mugs of chai with cream, and if I decide to have something for lunch or later I know I have a tiny bit of kale and sausage in the fridge or some creamed spinach in the freezer.
Hugs :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
and scared of what I've done to myself by being so overweight.
And when you've read some more you'll realise that you're being highly unfair to yourself. Lose the guilt. Could it be that you're 'so overweight' because you were born with a body that couldn't cope with the food that's normally considered 'a healthy (carby) diet'?

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my experience, yes!! a couple of years before being diagnosed I treated my husband like I don't know what, and I was unhappy about it, and didn't know why I did it because I loved him, and still do, to bits. He was and is an extremely patient man, but sometimes I'd wonder why he didn't choose to leave. Well, he didn't. I was diagnosed, my blood sugar came down and I began to feel like my old self again.

So glad you got back to feeling your old self again and how blessed you are to have an extremely patient husband, that's great. I wondered why my best friend didn't get fed up with me but she conveyed to me she understood it wasn't the real me and I was just having a bad day. Since we've both found out of course what's been causing the "bad days" when I got diagnosed.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And when you've read some more you'll realise that you're being highly unfair to yourself. Lose the guilt. Could it be that you're 'so overweight' because you were born with a body that couldn't cope with the food that's normally considered 'a healthy (carby) diet'?

Not thought of that before, having a body that couldn't cope with what's normally considered 'a healthy (carby) diet'. I feel I can't think straight some days and this has likely caused me to be unfair on myself. Honestly, your answer has really helped me. I can stop feeling guilty now :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I wondered why my best friend didn't get fed up with me but she conveyed to me she understood it wasn't the real me and I was just having a bad day. Since we've both found out of course what's been causing the "bad days" when I got diagnosed.
Even if the reason is a rotten one it's good to know, isn't it? Instead of not really recognising yourself and not understanding what's going on, I mean. I'm glad you have a very understanding friend. They're rare to come by and worth more than gold. I remember my husband saying roughly what your friend said. He said that all the time he knew the real me was somewhere underneath all that anger and bad temper.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I can stop feeling guilty now :)
Yes :) Stop feeling guilty and get on with your research into how you can upgrade that annoying body of yours to a much better version. So much reading to do, but hey, it's interesting and way more constructive and encouraging than feelings of guilt ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with you. It is good to know. And yes, my friend is very understanding, just like your husband :)
Hugs to you both.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Northern Girl2. I guess you’ve had your breakfast by now but, I would try your menu without the fried bread, you may find that just the other ingredients do actually fill you up, although Burgen bread is a good choice.
Do you have a blood glucose meter as that’s the only way to see what suits you best? I have found since diagnosis that I can tolerate carbs better later in the day, so I keep my carbs for breakfast and lunch really low, then have a few more carbs at dinner, but still keeping the total to under 50g per day. I only found this out by testing. I would highly recommend it for you as everyone is different.
I’ve found that low carbing and Metformin has worked really well for me, it got my HbA1cs down to a non diabetic level and I’ve lost a shed load of weight too :) I hope you find it works for you too.

Edit for typo

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachox,

Thanks for your reply. No, I don't have a blood glucose meter that is something I need to get.

I'm still learning about low carbs as all this is very new to me, but I'll go with your advice and not have the fried bread.

That's interesting you tolerate carbs later in the day. I need to find out what I can tolerate.

Congrats on the weight loss and getting your HbA1c to a non-diabetic level.

I hope to do the same with Metformin and a Low carb diet.

Reactions: Prem51 and briped

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome. Your plan for brekky is a great first step. I transitioned from white bread to Burgen (and Lidl rolls, sadly no longer available) and then to no bread at all within a surprisingly short time and really loved the decadent breakfasts with lots of mushrooms cooked in the bacon fats with eggs cooked anyway up. Totally scrummy! A little bit on sausages, buy the best you can afford there are some with over 95% meat such as Hecks (different Hecks flavours have different carb values so still read the nutrition labels) or Debbie&Andrew's and the Black Farmer sausages are nice too though they are a little more expensive.

Congratulations on grabbing the bull by the horns and I am sure that you will be feeling your old self very soon.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guzzler nice to meet you.

I did enjoy my Breakfast. I ordered chicken sausage but when shopping was collected they had ran out of them so the Supermarket substituted them for Hecks Chicken with an Italian herb and they were delicious. I will order Hecks and try the ones you suggested.

Yeah I did grab the bull by the horns so to speak. I decided if I was going to beat this thing, low carb was the way to go and decided to go low carb immediately on the day after my diagnosis when I found this Forum. I love Coffee with cream and don't miss sugary things as I didn't have a sweet tooth to start off with, biscuits and crisps were my favorite. But they wont be on my shopping list anymore so I'm looking for alternative things I can eat without causing problems with my blood sugars.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi Guzzler nice to meet you.

I did enjoy my Breakfast. I ordered chicken sausage but when shopping was collected they had ran out of them so the Supermarket substituted them for Hecks Chicken with an Italian herb and they were delicious. I will order Hecks and try the ones you suggested.

Yeah I did grab the bull by the horns so to speak. I decided if I was going to beat this thing, low carb was the way to go and decided to go low carb immediately on the day after my diagnosis when I found this Forum. I love Coffee with cream and don't miss sugary things as I didn't have a sweet tooth to start off with, biscuits and crisps were my favorite. But they wont be on my shopping list anymore so I'm looking for alternative things I can eat without causing problems with my blood sugars.

Ah, the crisps! Crisps and crackers are my twin nemeses. I did not have a sweet tooth either and if I am honest I still miss Mr. Walker and Mr. Ritz. I miss them but I no longer crave them and there lies the difference, things can sometimes take a while to adjust to but adjustment brings with it its own rewards.
Keep it up, don't worry if you have a couple of setbacks as most of us do in the beginning just keep plugging away at it and reaping the benefits.

Reactions: bulkbiker

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome
If you'd like low carb eating ideas we have a thread where a few of us who low carb record what we've eaten today and it can be a place to get ideas see:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1033#post-1932847
Also Ive compiled a booklet with ideas and recipies from that thread - see the file below it may have a few ideas to inspire you.
Plus a wonderful source for low carb eating and recipies is
www.dietdoctor.com
Hope these help and do ask lots of questions as you go along on your journey

Attachments

• What have you eaten today Low Carb Eating MG August 2018 Final v2(3).pdf
    409.2 KB · Views: 173