Newly diagnosed and freaking out :(

melliemars

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well what a bunch of bellends they are, you are in the right place now. I am on 2000 of metformin and less than a year in my HBA1c is at 36 ( I was over 96) from being fixated with being perfect, today I am looking to be good. A "cheat meal" or a few glasses of wine is simply awesome as long as it is a treat and not a default choice.

Set a target for yourself, take small steps, each one will take you towards your target. Great advice for me was, herbs and spices are fantastic, add lots and make your food interesting. It does seriously help.

Stay strong, this illness is but a blip on the road of life. It will not stop you doing anything you want to.

Let us know how you get on and the people om this site are superb, ask away and you will get a world of views and advice

Is it just me or does anyone else want to join that group to see how they behave?

Ross

Man, Ross, that made me laugh. They were right bellends, indeed!! Your readings are amazing, as well. Super well done to you!

What does your weekly food diary look like, if you don't mind me asking? What are your usual staple meals and how much exercise do you get? I'm asking purely because I don't know what the hell I'm doing and what you're doing really seems to work!

I'm still freaking out but I have anxiety disorder too so I'm prone to it (however, I am armed with more info than ever and am slowly but surely getting my head around it. Trying not to obsess over being perfect but it's a struggle, if I'm honest). I just had a small meal from the Chinese takeaway - white rice and veg curry (a tester meal, the first none LCHF meal I've had in 2 months). In one hour, my bg shot up double. Nearly crapped m'self. Hitting the 12's at one hour later :( I'm SO SO SO strict most of the time, but finding it really hard).

In regards to treats, I have no idea when or how to factor them in. I appreciate your lovely comment and the chuckle. Took my mind off that blummin' curry haha.

- Mel

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Here is my food in the past week. It is good for me, perhaps not others. I found out by testing, lots of testing. Each meal was tested 3 times to see if it has a similar result, if it did then I took it as predictable and saved my fingers being stabbed.

Not in order
Wheatabix & milk
Coffee
AlproSoy yogurt
Arla protein yougurt
Peanuts
85% dark chocolate (not a lot)
Thai green courgettes
peas
Broccoli
Sausages
Salad Green
Salad mixed
Beetroots
Chicken soup
1 small grannary baguette
BBQ'd 95% beef Burgers
Tadzhiki as a dip and dressing
Chicken
Tuna
vietnamese chicken surprise curry. no idea what was in the sauce but it was lush
Peanuts
Falaffal
avocados - superb before sport. 1/10th the sugar of a banana and similar calories
butternut squash
Lots of water.

garlic
chilli
lemongrass
coriander
paprika
pepper
balsamic vinegar
olive oil
cumin
Basil

I am in support of eat as much carbs as you need to to do your daily activities, if you do lots of sport you may need more on those days. I tend to steer away from white/processed carbs, they are not my friend and from reading about not a friend to most people.

I choose to have a basic diet whilst you work out what's what and got my HBA1C down to 34 in less than 9 months, I am now introducing more foods and a bit of wine. It worked for me, but it is each to their own.

With diet and exercise it is sustainable, take the time to stop and look at the sky, the stars and relax. You CAN do this, bit by bit you can and live a great life knowing this is but a blip.

It starts with a step

Keep it up and with some work you will in a while be the one saying from experience to a newby "YOU CAN"

Attachments

• did-it.png
    did-it.png
    240.9 KB · Views: 898

melliemars

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Here is my food in the past week. It is good for me, perhaps not others. I found out by testing, lots of testing. Each meal was tested 3 times to see if it has a similar result, if it did then I took it as predictable and saved my fingers being stabbed.

Not in order
Wheatabix & milk
Coffee
AlproSoy yogurt
Arla protein yougurt
Peanuts
85% dark chocolate (not a lot)
Thai green courgettes
peas
Broccoli
Sausages
Salad Green
Salad mixed
Beetroots
Chicken soup
1 small grannary baguette
BBQ'd 95% beef Burgers
Tadzhiki as a dip and dressing
Chicken
Tuna
vietnamese chicken surprise curry. no idea what was in the sauce but it was lush
Peanuts
Falaffal
avocados - superb before sport. 1/10th the sugar of a banana and similar calories
butternut squash
Lots of water.

garlic
chilli
lemongrass
coriander
paprika
pepper
balsamic vinegar
olive oil
cumin
Basil

I am in support of eat as much carbs as you need to to do your daily activities, if you do lots of sport you may need more on those days. I tend to steer away from white/processed carbs, they are not my friend and from reading about not a friend to most people.

I choose to have a basic diet whilst you work out what's what and got my HBA1C down to 34 in less than 9 months, I am now introducing more foods and a bit of wine. It worked for me, but it is each to their own.

With diet and exercise it is sustainable, take the time to stop and look at the sky, the stars and relax. You CAN do this, bit by bit you can and live a great life knowing this is but a blip.

It starts with a step

Keep it up and with some work you will in a while be the one saying from experience to a newby "YOU CAN"

Great advice, thank you for the time you took to write it, Ross!

Reactions: Freema

melliemars

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How goes it this week @melliemars ?

Hey Ross! It's lovely that you asked me how I'm doing ^_^ I'm working on accepting my diagnosis and not to overanalyse it (for I am the queen of over-analysing things lol). I've also found more things to eat and have also found an awesome online low carb store - www.carblife.co.uk

I went on a hike on Saturday and have started doing yoga. I went to the doctors for my diabetic eye-test on Wednesday. She said my eyes seem fine but that they're going to have a look on the big screen so waiting for that. I met with my doctor and he was a bit blasé about diabetes, wouldn't give me free strips and told me not to test and that I'm doing everything I can and am doing fab. Bit narked as I like to check how I'm going but whatever. He was condescending and I just thought "Oh ****** off!" Had another A1c as well so waiting for that to pop through. I've lost 3 stones since my July diagnosis and am fitter than I have been in 8 years. I started to get overly restrictive with food but I'm trying to ease up on myself and still keep within parameters and be healthy, but not starve myself or obsess over carbs. I'm still mindful but not gut-churningly so.

I'm much better now that the SSRI Citalopram is out of my system. Woo was that a bumpy ride!

I think overall the main battle has been in my head and emotionally, of course. I'm learning to take proper care of myself but also balance that with not letting anxiety, overthinking and worrying get the better of me. To be honest, for me personally, diabetes saved my life. It most certainly has given me the wake up call that I needed. I was headed down a dark path and a very early ending and diabetes gave me the kick up the **** I've needed all my life.

For me, it's very helpful to remember that although diabetes is for life, if we take very good care of ourselves we can avoid or limit complications greatly. Anything can happen to anyone at any time and it's vital we make the most of the time we have here rather than getting upset about this. Easier said than done but I feel that is the healthiest outlook. I couldn't have gotten through this if it wasn't for this forum and all you lovely, sharing, kind people. Some days are easier than others of course but I'm thankfully in a much better place than when I originally wrote this post.

How are you, Ross?

Last edited:

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
That forum sounds like seriously bad news! The whole point of forums are to help - not scaremonger!

Its a case of look of what you eat - keep your carbs down, have good proteins (eggs are your friend!), exercise and keep an eye on what your levels are. Learn which foods trigger your levels to spike and avoid. (and if you smoke - quit!).

I've been through a particularly stressful year and it finally tipped me over into diabetes. Unfortunately I was predisposed (white, over 40, overweight, immune problems and underactive thyroid - bah humbug!). It has however been the kick up the rump that I needed to take control of my life, get my stress levels under control and control my eating. As everyone says, we are allowed the occasional treat - it isn't going to kill you, just make sure it's within reason.

Hugs to you - I know its a scary time - I'm only 6 weeks in and I still have a lot to learn. A friend of mine who is insulin dependent said to me today that fasting levels on a morning of anything between 4 and 7 are bl**dy good. So take heart, chill out and take one day at a time - you'll get there. My levels when I was first diagnosed were 29.0! (they had come down to 15 when I left hospital but it was a bit of an eye opener!).

Seeker2016

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it is quite normal to freak, I was put on insulin immediately on diagnosis. One minute you think you're fine, next minute you have a disease for life. It's very hard to get used to the idea of it, let alone come to terms with anything so soon. It's shocking, and continues to be a big shock. I am told the shock eventuality wears off and you get used to testing and injecting. Thinking about it, millions of people cope with this disease every day, so I hope you will get some comfort from that. I over analyse as well, things go round and round in my head, but this forum is really good, hope you get some reassurance.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
@melliemars
Sounds like you have a handle on this, each little victory is worth the fight.

Life for me is great, enjoying the late summer sun with the family and getting some time in the sky, smashing holes in clouds.

Todays salad dressing

olive oil, garlic, chilli, lime juice, a bit of lime zest, a bunch of corriander. All juiced. It's the little things that make some less than exciting foods amazing.

Stay awesome.