Newly diagnosed at Type 2 at 32

matjcole83

Hey

My name is Mat, and in July I was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes, my hba1c was 97, so literally off the nurse's chart. Given that I'm 5 foot 11 and weigh about 12 stone and have no family history, this was quite a shock.

Luckily that has come down to 55, but I still stuggle with keeping my levels down. I'm on 2 metformin a day and 2 glicazide. I was doing well but since the introduction of the second glicazide I seem to be all over the shop, either dropping down to a level 3 or now 2 hours after lunch sitting at 12.5. Its so hard to keep it under control.

Does anyone have any suggestions about particular foods to avoid? I'm constanly looking for the little green box on packages for the sugar. Also any pudding suggestions would be amazing. I miss eating cake. A lot. Any alternatives would be awesome.

Thanks
Mat

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello matjcole83,welcome to the forum i'll tag @daisy1 who will be along with the info for new posters, have agood read and come with your q's clive

LydiaLozano

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey

My name is Mat, and in July I was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes, my hba1c was 97, so literally off the nurse's chart. Given that I'm 5 foot 11 and weigh about 12 stone and have no family history, this was quite a shock.

Luckily that has come down to 55, but I still stuggle with keeping my levels down. I'm on 2 metformin a day and 2 glicazide. I was doing well but since the introduction of the second glicazide I seem to be all over the shop, either dropping down to a level 3 or now 2 hours after lunch sitting at 12.5. Its so hard to keep it under control.

Does anyone have any suggestions about particular foods to avoid? I'm constanly looking for the little green box on packages for the sugar. Also any pudding suggestions would be amazing. I miss eating cake. A lot. Any alternatives would be awesome.

Thanks
Mat
Hello Mat... I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I personally try to stay away from processed foods but I do have a recipe for a cake/bread alternative. I enjoy eating flax meal recipes when I crave something sweet. try out this recipe...but don't forget to up your water intake when adding flax to your diet :) http://powerhungry.com/2011/10/1158/

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Does anyone have any suggestions about particular foods to avoid? I'm constantly looking for the little green box on packages for the sugar. Also any pudding suggestions would be amazing. I miss eating cake. A lot. Any alternatives would be awesome.
Hi @matjcole83 and welcome to the forum. Apart from looking at the sugar content you also need to check the carbohydrate content which isn't shown on the front of packs. It should be as carbs turn into sugar if you are diabetic.
As for cake I miss it too and will be trying to make some non-sugar versions myself. There are recipes around the forum if you search around a bit.
@ewelina has a blog with some cake and cookie recipes: http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/
I made the peanut butter cookies today which are good, and will have a go at the coconut macaroons next.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey

Thanks
Mat

The reason why you are feeling all over the place, is probably the glicizide.
There has been many threads on this!
You may need to speak to your GP!

Do you have a blood glucose monitor?
If so check your fasting level.
This may give you a reason why you are feeling iffy!

Reduce your carb intake, it is not just sugar, as both turn into glucose during digestion.
Have a read of the low carb forum. Some great ideas and recipes on the forum.

Devonbear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The simplest pudding is berries and yoghurt or berries and double (or clotted) cream. Do you cook? My wife has developed a range of low carb sweets such as baked cheesecake. Or just try half a Lidl high protein roll with clotted cream and home-made jam on it (pureed berries with sweetener - we use Truvia).

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, ignore colour labelling on food packaging and hunt for the total carbs content. Colour labelling assumes fat and sugar are the bad guys whereas fats are fine and all carbs are a problem for us. You are very young to be T2 and your weight isn't that high. It's always possible you are not T2 but a late onset T1; mis-diagnosis is common. Gliclazide is good start anyway for T1 and Metformin always helps all of us a little bit.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @matjcole83 and welcome to the forum. Apart from looking at the sugar content you also need to check the carbohydrate content which isn't shown on the front of packs. It should be as carbs turn into sugar if you are diabetic.
As for cake I miss it too and will be trying to make some non-sugar versions myself. There are recipes around the forum if you search around a bit.
@ewelina has a blog with some cake and cookie recipes: http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/
I made the peanut butter cookies today which are good, and will have a go at the coconut macaroons next.
Thank you :) @Prem51 . Glad you liked it

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I was on Gliclazide with little effect. It was doubled and still no positive effect..but I did notice more erratic spikes. I stopped taking it and informed my doctor that I was going to try a diet and exercise instead. I'm not saying stop your meds...but definitely raise it with your doctor and get his views, and check the views of members of this community. I would stress that I am also on a steroid so that also causes a daily spike, but everything has improved since looking at what and when I was eating and comparing it with readings. First discovery...bloody toast was causing most of the crazy spikes. After experimenting with foods...clearly all bread was a problem. now, I have abandoned bread, cereal and spuds along with anything high in carbs...and my levels are closer to normal and way way more predictable. Check out eh low carb forum.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a low carb alternative for most foods out there. Have a hoid look through the links provided and around the low carb forums and they should give you some great ideas. Also Pinterest is a great source of recipes.