Newly diagnosed - Feeling Confused

Tink6366

Hi Everyone,

This week i have had a HBAC1 test come back as 56. Previous one in January was 50. So, doctor has diagnosed diabetes!

During the consultation, the doctor recommended metaformin as a treatment option. Which i am now taking. He spoke very highly of this wonder drug and the positives of it. He stated he wants me to have another HBAC1 test in 3 months.

I asked about testing bloods daily to monitor myself and learn what foods drive my sugars up etc.

His response was “no do not bother, theres no benefit in testing daily. Just lose weight take the med and come back in 3 months”.

I felt this was not very helpful, as ive come away with no information on diet etc. Ive had to fight to see the diabetic nurse, as he wasn’t going to get me an appointment until after the 3 months.

I want to do all i can to put this diabetes into remission, and hopefully come off the medication. And continue to be mindful of diet and exercise for the rest of my life.

He was very adamant that i would be taking this medication for life regardless, even just the smallest dosage.

Does all this seem right, or was it a poor consultation??

I was under the impression on new diagnosis’s your supposed to be referred for education etc

Please help with some clarification, i’ve come away confused.

Hayley :)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. You will get more education, help and support on this site than your surgery. Click on the link in my signature. If you adopt a low carb diet, you can kick this down the road pretty quickly.

Tink6366

Welcome to the forum. You will get more education, help and support on this site than your surgery. Click on the link in my signature. If you adopt a low carb diet, you can kick this down the road pretty quickly.

Really helpful and reassuring, thank you.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Read around the forums and ask lots of questions. There is a lot to get your head around and it is easy to become overwhelmed. Don't worry, it soon becomes second nature. The most important thing is to get a meter, it is essential and the most important tool in your kit. We can help with those.

Tink6366

Read around the forums and ask lots of questions. There is a lot to get your head around and it is easy to become overwhelmed. Don't worry, it soon becomes second nature. The most important thing is to get a meter, it is essential and the most important tool in your kit. We can help with those.

Which is why i was confused by the doctors attitude towards testing. Thank you, i will get a meter and start recording and getting to know how my body reacts.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which is why i was confused by the doctors attitude towards testing. Thank you, i will get a meter and start recording and getting to know how my body reacts.
Lack of understanding how to use a meter for type 2 and food testing along with budgets and short term view are responsible for this attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tink6366

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are a few gems around, but the majority of them don't have a clue.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm new to this, too. Higher A1c readings than yours, and I'm sure the nurse suggested that if it'd been in the 50s, we'd be trying to do this on diet alone. So it does seem that there's conflicting advice and standards around.

I can't help feeling they're going for the low maintenance option with the best overall outcome when blanket prescribing Metformin. For (I imagine) less than £10 a month worth of tablets, they can probably keep you in a condition where you don't end up getting a lot more expensive to look after. With the best of intentions, I'm sure, I think it's a one size fits all solution pitched primarily at people who aren't really willing to change their lifestyle: just pop those pills, maybe make some minor dietary and exercise changes, but otherwise carry on as before.

Having given it some thought, I'd rather take control of this as someone with a very strong interest in a positive outcome, than take a non-tailored solution designed to statistically improve the odds of a good outcome, but that doesn't really care which side of the divide I personally fall on.

So it's diet and regular blood monitoring for me right now. The latter largely to see what really spikes my levels, which seems to be bread, so far. I'd previously seen bread as a zero penalty food (no fat and no sugar.) I'm now treating it as toxic.

Tink6366

I'm new to this, too. Higher A1c readings than yours, and I'm sure the nurse suggested that if it'd been in the 50s, we'd be trying to do this on diet alone. So it does seem that there's conflicting advice and standards around.

I can't help feeling they're going for the low maintenance option with the best overall outcome when blanket prescribing Metformin. For (I imagine) less than £10 a month worth of tablets, they can probably keep you in a condition where you don't end up getting a lot more expensive to look after. With the best of intentions, I'm sure, I think it's a one size fits all solution pitched primarily at people who aren't really willing to change their lifestyle: just pop those pills, maybe make some minor dietary and exercise changes, but otherwise carry on as before.

Having given it some thought, I'd rather take control of this as someone with a very strong interest in a positive outcome, than take a non-tailored solution designed to statistically improve the odds of a good outcome, but that doesn't really care which side of the divide I personally fall on.

So it's diet and regular blood monitoring for me right now. The latter largely to see what really spikes my levels, which seems to be bread, so far. I'd previously seen bread as a zero penalty food (no fat and no sugar.) I'm now treating it as toxic.

Yeah thats exactly how i feel, i am going to see the diabetic nurse so hopefully get some better advice.

I appreciate some of us are genetically predisposed to develop diabetes, but i really feel diet, exercise and mindfulness can also control the rogue gene. Im all for positive outcomes!

Thanks you everyone for you advice, it really helps.

What meters is everyone using? As ive been looking and theres so many its overwhelming...

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah thats exactly how i feel, i am going to see the diabetic nurse so hopefully get some better advice.
Do note though your diabetic nurse may be in the same mindset as your doctor, I think quite a lot still are, so drugs may get pushed and you may get told to keep eating high carb (but low sugar and low fat) foods,

And no, metformin is not really a wonder drug I'm afraid - it does have its uses and may help diabetes slightly - but wonder drug may be pushing it somewhat! If you don't want to argue with the doctor/nurse then just nod and grin.

Reactions: HSSS and Tink6366

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - you doctor obviously doesn't take diabetes seriously - you were in the diabetic range of Hba1c (over 47) in January - you were probably prediabetic for some time before that (that's 42 to 47).
I will not take Metformin because of the side effects I experienced when I took it for a few weeks, along with a statin. Dia - bolical.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - you doctor obviously doesn't take diabetes seriously - you were in the diabetic range of Hba1c (over 47) in January - you were probably prediabetic for some time before that (that's 42 to 47).
I will not take Metformin because of the side effects I experienced when I took it for a few weeks, along with a statin. Dia - bolical.

Well done you for taking it for a few weeks. I managed to take just three tablets.

There's lots of info on youtube, and by reading this forum you'll get to know names of who to follow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @xfieldok

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter with cheap strips, the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter: (See also latest* from HH below regarding discounts for the Navii):

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

I’m not sure if the following promotion is still current
*The latest news from Home Health states:

"We have a special promotion for switching Codefree customers to the GlucoNavii, whereby if you buy a meter with 2 or more packs of strips from the below link and add the discount code "dcuk" at checkout, we will subtract the price of the meter.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively (these are printed on a business card supplied with the meter like with the Codefree).

Please note that the 20% discount off 5 packs of strips has already been applied to the meter plus 5 strips price if you buy from the above link.”

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Tink6366

Do note though your diabetic nurse may be in the same mindset as your doctor, I think quite a lot still are, so drugs may get pushed and you may get told to keep eating high carb (but low sugar and low fat) foods,

And no, metformin is not really a wonder drug I'm afraid - it does have its uses and may help diabetes slightly - but wonder drug may be pushing it somewhat! If you don't want to argue with the doctor/nurse then just nod and grin.

I didnt think for a second it was, it was just how prob metaformin he was. Like you say just nod and grin (with my mask on)

Tink6366

They said to diagnose they would need to consecutive tests with high readings

Hope your feeling better since you came off the med

Tink6366

Thanks for the tag @xfieldok

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter with cheap strips, the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter: (See also latest* from HH below regarding discounts for the Navii):

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

I’m not sure if the following promotion is still current
*The latest news from Home Health states:

"We have a special promotion for switching Codefree customers to the GlucoNavii, whereby if you buy a meter with 2 or more packs of strips from the below link and add the discount code "dcuk" at checkout, we will subtract the price of the meter.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively (these are printed on a business card supplied with the meter like with the Codefree).

Please note that the 20% discount off 5 packs of strips has already been applied to the meter plus 5 strips price if you buy from the above link.”

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Thats so helpful thank you. I will have a look into all of this! :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope your feeling better since you came off the med
With those Hba1c levels you are diabetic and have been for some time. Once it is 42 or more you are out of the normal range and without good advice heading for diabetes as a progressive illness.
I felt a lot better in a few days, but I was creeping around for quite some months - but I have gone back to work now as I am stronger and fitter.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which they should have done quite promptly after the first reading not left it since January. Hope your diabetes nurse is more with it and useful than your dr. But you’ve found us and we’ll have him flummoxed how you’ve turned this around soon. For info I was diagnosed at 55 and never had metformin, it was mentioned but not pushed when I made it clear how I was going to make changes and actually followed through. Lots of people here with higher levels than us have done likewise too.

Tink6366

Which they should have done quite promptly after the first reading not left it since January. Hope your diabetes nurse is more with it and useful than your dr. But you’ve found us and we’ll have him flummoxed how you’ve turned this around soon. For info I was diagnosed at 55 and never had metformin, it was mentioned but not pushed when I made it clear how I was going to make changes and actually followed through. Lots of people here with higher levels than us have done likewise too.

Yeah i’m determined to have him rubbing his head in confusion!

Thank you for your sharing your positive words of encouragement. I’m confident that i’ve got this for sure! And as someone else said i am going to kick this down the road as quickly as possible. :) will update the thread on how i’m doing. Already lost 5.5lbs in the last week and a half! Just by watching carbs, and exercising.

Thanks everyone! For your star advice!!