Newly diagnosed IR

NewbieIR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all,

my name is Nikki. I live in Australia but was born in and lived in the UK for many years. I've just found out that I have insulin resistance. I'm the first in 7 generations not to have diabetes but have had PCOS so I was always going to be a candidate. My naturopath has me on an IR diet which seems to be doing wonders for me, although hard some days. Having to relearn how to eat almost and learn what is good for me and will help reduce the insulin and whats not good for me. Who would have thought that bananas and pumpkin were NOT a healthy choice for me??? Other than my fiance and the naturopath I dont have a lot of support or have people I can ask questions to, so thought I'd join in here.

I do have one question - vermicelli noodles, yay or nay?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. For diabetics and anyone with insulin resistance, having a low carb diet is very important. Bananas are a high GI carb and not good for us other than in small quantities. So, keep an eye on the carbs and have proteins and fats in preference as well as veg and non-tropical fruit. Any form of pasta such as vermicelli is not ideal as it's just another carb. Go for wholemeal types to reduce sugar spikes but the carb content is still there.

NewbieIR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi and welcome. For diabetics and anyone with insulin resistance, having a low carb diet is very important. Bananas are a high GI carb and not good for us other than in small quantities. So, keep an eye on the carbs and have proteins and fats in preference as well as veg and non-tropical fruit. Any form of pasta such as vermicelli is not ideal as it's just another carb. Go for wholemeal types to reduce sugar spikes but the carb content is still there.

Yeah, the naturopath has got my diet in line with most of the above. I no longer eat bananas or pumpkin because of that. I'd just heard that vermicelli noodles were a much better option but if they are going to make my blood sugars spike then I'm probably better to stay away.