Newly diagnosed - shock but encouraging BS results

Growling Frog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there.

So I got diagnosed diabetic Tues 21st July 2020. What a shock. No diabetes in my family, both parents still active in their 80’s. I am 56, 5ft 11 and weigh 78kg so a BMI of 24. I had tho developed a bit of a middle thru lockdown, baking cakes with the kids, a beer at night, some chocolate most days, bananas and toast for breakfast, mandarins for lunch, extra banana for snack, 75g of pasta meals, pizzas (small!) - thinking I was the healthy one in the family, but quite a lot of lockdown snacking. I could say I my body shape was not quite ‘dad bod’ but was becoming borderline ‘fat thin man’. I did think this was countered by lots of daily bike riding and yoga and generally feeling quite fit, with good endurance.

My job is in live entertainment, so I’ve been inactive at that since March, but when there is work there are times of extreme pre-show stress, cortisol, adrenaline, exercise and later post show red wine.

I only went to get a Cholesterol test and blood pressure check (both quite high), but when the diabetes diagnosis came back, I asked for another test, thinking I’d gotten someone else’s results! (denial, lol) I then had a week to wait for those 2nd test results.

So, like many people I took the first diagnosis as a WAKE UP CALL. I’ve had a sweet tooth all my life, one sugar in my tea, lollies if they are in the house, cake, yes please. I’m not a big eater but it clearly all adds up.

In the meantime while waiting for the results of my second test I immediately went on a 24hr fast. After the fast I went on a restricted low carb diet. No sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. Lots of fish, eggs, cauliflower, luckily I LOVE cauliflower. I checked what I was eating on the FatSecret App - which I heard about on here. It’s great, simple and really motivating.

For good measure I am applying TR (time restricted) eating of 16/8 - dinner at 6pm, b fast 10am. B fast is 2 eggs, bacon, avo or spinach, tin of salmon, avo boiled egg.

I am also doing some moderate to intense exercise after dinner - a bike ride. Instead of slumping onto a couch and mindlessly scrolling thu my iphone.

I also acquired a blood sugar test kit - which I log on the mysugr App. Again great.

So after my 24hr fast. I put that Blood glucose meter to good use:

I got (Thursday 23 July) morning fast BS reading of 5.5. Not bad!

The rest the week following a similar routine, by the way I felt pretty rotten for a couple of days, felt sorry for myself, **** I felt deprived! But I gave up smoking years ago and know that feeling and that it passes to emerge in sunlit uplands of a happier me. SO I kept going - no choice really.

Blood Glucose readings going forward (only including fasting BS reading and post dinner 2hr reading)

Friday 24th: Morning Fast reading :5.5 Then 2hrs after dinner and exercise BS:4.1

Sat 25th: Morning Fast reading :3.9 Then 2hrs after dinner and exercise BS:6.0

Sund 26th: Morning Fast reading :4.7 Then 2hrs after dinner and exercise BS:5.5

Monday 27th: Morning Fast reading :4.6 Then 2hrs after dinner and exercise BS:5.4

Tues 28th: Morning Fast reading :4.6 Then 2hrs after dinner and exercise BS:5.0

Wed 29th: Morning Fast reading :4.6 Then 2hrs after dinner and exercise BS:4.6

Thurs 30th Morning Fast reading :4.0 Then 2hrs after dinner and exercise BS:5.8

Friday 31st. (today) Morning Fast reading :5.0 *only fit in a brisk walk last night

I went back to the docs on Tues 28th for my second test result which he said confirmed the first - that I was T2 diabetic. I didn’t have someone else’s results. But here is my confusion. My fasting BS was 7.1 and my HbA1C was 5.8%, 40mmol. Both here in Oz are diagnosed as diabetes. However, in other literature the HbA1C results I got are indicative of prediabetes. I’m not trying to wriggle out of my diagnosis but would appreciate if anyone has some practical advice/observation on what I might actually have?

On the day of my second results the Dr offered me diabetes medication which I politely declined. I then showed him my BS results. We both agreed with such encouraging numbers, it was worth persevering with low carb to see if I can maintain diet control of my diabetes. However I did accept his offer of half a tablet of Corvesyl for my ticker.

Apologies for a long post. I’m noting my experience in detail to help add to the body of evidence of anyone else in the same position as me, dealing with a shock as we say goodbye to that youthful sense of immortality.

If anyone else who is further down this road than me can give an interpretation of my results that would be appreciated. My mum refuses to believe I’m diabetic, and as my HbA1C are borderline I’m struggling to convince her. Perhaps she doesn’t want to give me sympathy, like when I she sent me to school when I had appendicitis.

Appreciated reading the content on this forum. It’s been so comforting in these early days of fear to feel others have endured, remained positive and have created such a supportive community I had no idea even existed just 10 days ago.

Thank you for reading
Jeff

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Growling Frog,

Welcome to the forum.

Your finger prick numbers look great. Also great effort on the food and on the exercise front. If you keep this up, I am sure your next HbA1c will be in the normal non-diabetic range.

As to feeling deprived -- I would suggest trying to find a routine that you can live with long-term. You will find that many foods don't impact blood sugars quite as badly as we think (for example high-cocoa content chocolate). This is why many of us test quite often in the beginning (i.e. right before eating and then two hours later). As we are all individuals, individual reactions to food can be quite different.

As to diagnostic thresholds for diabetes or prediabetes, these differ from country to country. However, I was a bit surprised to see you were diagnosed as fully diabetic with a level of only 40 mmol. It might be a good idea to double-check with your GP. When I googled this, the diagnostic level for diabetes in Australia was 6.5% or 48 mmol.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Edited for grammar

Last edited:
Reactions: Growling Frog

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome from another in Australia,

I think you are doing really well so I agree with @ziggy_w that your next test will likely be in the normal range BUT I also agree you need to find a diet that is sustainable. I'm a carbolic but have gone keto. I do have diet jelly and low carb chocolate which as far as I know is only in OZ. If you're interested let me know and I'll dig out the name. I have Diet Coke with Bundy sometimes etc. I test regularly still. We all have to find what works for me. At some stage I plan to use less artificial sweeteners- I'm around the same age as you- only a couple of years younger and feel I still have time for that in the future.

good luck and welcome.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done!

I too question why your doctor thinks hba1c of 40 is diabetic. What was your first hba1c? In the UK that is a normal reading.

Edited to ask: can you provide a link to the official site in Australia that states 40 is regarded as diabetic?

Last edited:

Growling Frog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Growling Frog,

Welcome to the forum.

Your finger prick numbers look great. Also great effort on the food and on the exercise front. If you keep this up, I am sure your next HbA1c will be in the normal non-diabetic range.

As to feeling deprived -- I would suggest trying to find a routine that you can live with long-term. You will find that many foods don't impact blood sugars quite as badly as we think (for example high-cocoa content chocolate). This is why many of us test quite often in the beginning (i.e. right before eating and then two hours later). As we are all individuals, individual reactions to food can be quite different.

As to diagnostic thresholds for diabetes or prediabetes, these differ from country to country. However, I was a bit surprised to see you were diagnosed as fully diabetic with a level of only 40 mmol. It might be a good idea to double-check with your GP. When I googled this, the diagnostic level for diabetes in Australia was 6.5% or 48 mmol.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Edited for grammar
Hi Ziggy. Thanks for repying.
Yes, I will be doing that food intake kind of testing. Apprecaite the tip. I am playing it safe right now, I suppose, but can't think I wont be trying to reintroduce foods while checking my 'numbers'.
Your point about 40 mmol as being prediabetes. Well that's what was confusing me. What am I? I did just check what the pathology lab wrote:
'Glucose (serum/Plasma)
Glucose Fasting 7.1 mmol/L H
Consistant with diabetes. Diagnosis is made thru two separate instances of an elevated parameter (fasting glucose, HbA1c or GTT)'

'HbA1c (NGSP) 5.8% H
HbA1c (IFCC) 40 mmol/mol H
HbA1c results consistant with pre-diabetes. Consider lifestyle changes and measuring HbA1c in 12 months.'

I will follow up with my Doc in a couple of weeks as you suggest.

Jeff

Growling Frog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome from another in Australia,

I think you are doing really well so I agree with @ziggy_w that your next test will likely be in the normal range BUT I also agree you need to find a diet that is sustainable. I'm a carbolic but have gone keto. I do have diet jelly and low carb chocolate which as far as I know is only in OZ. If you're interested let me know and I'll dig out the name. I have Diet Coke with Bundy sometimes etc. I test regularly still. We all have to find what works for me. At some stage I plan to use less artificial sweeteners- I'm around the same age as you- only a couple of years younger and feel I still have time for that in the future.

good luck and welcome.
Vashti. Thanks for writing. Appreciate. Low Carb chocolate is now on my to find list! I am keto now, or at least my wife who is recoiling from my breath says I am. Melbourne face masks have come in handy. Covid? No, Keto.
I shall keep the BS meter (blood sugar, not the other BS meter) working on foods. Thanks for the advice and the good wishes. Jeff

Growling Frog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done!

I too question why your doctor thinks hba1c of 40 is diabetic. What was your first hba1c? In the UK that is a normal reading.

Edited to ask: can you provide a link to the official site in Australia that states 40 is regarded as diabetic?

Hi xfielddoc. Thanks for the reply. I just checked (and posted above) my patholgy report which has been what my Dr has gone on. I agree with you 40 is not diabetic and indeed that is what the pathology says. I guess sitting between HbA1c of 40 and Glucose 7.1 giving two seperate diagnosis is what confuses me. Appreciate the the good wishes. Back at you! Jeff

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Vashti. Thanks for writing. Appreciate. Low Carb chocolate is now on my to find list! I am keto now, or at least my wife who is recoiling from my breath says I am. Melbourne face masks have come in handy. Covid? No, Keto.
I shall keep the BS meter (blood sugar, not the other BS meter) working on foods. Thanks for the advice and the good wishes. Jeff
The chocolate is under the brand well naturally. It is in woolies and Coles.it has 9,1 grams of carbs per 100 grams. You can't have an indefinite amount but a couple of rows are less than 3 grams of carbs.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Hi there.

So I got diagnosed diabetic Tues 21st July 2020. What a shock. No diabetes in my family, both parents still active in their 80’s. I am 56, 5ft 11 and weigh 78kg so a BMI of 24. I had tho developed a bit of a middle thru lockdown, baking cakes with the kids, a beer at night, some chocolate most days, bananas and toast for breakfast, mandarins for lunch, extra banana for snack, 75g of pasta meals, pizzas (small!) - thinking I was the healthy one in the family, but quite a lot of lockdown snacking. I could say I my body shape was not quite ‘dad bod’ but was becoming borderline ‘fat thin man’. I did think this was countered by lots of daily bike riding and yoga and generally feeling quite fit, with good endurance.

My job is in live entertainment, so I’ve been inactive at that since March, but when there is work there are times of extreme pre-show stress, cortisol, adrenaline, exercise and later post show red wine.

I only went to get a Cholesterol test and blood pressure check (both quite high), but when the diabetes diagnosis came back, I asked for another test, thinking I’d gotten someone else’s results! (denial, lol) I then had a week to wait for those 2nd test results.

So, like many people I took the first diagnosis as a WAKE UP CALL. I’ve had a sweet tooth all my life, one sugar in my tea, lollies if they are in the house, cake, yes please. I’m not a big eater but it clearly all adds up.

In the meantime while waiting for the results of my second test I immediately went on a 24hr fast. After the fast I went on a restricted low carb diet. No sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. Lots of fish, eggs, cauliflower, luckily I LOVE cauliflower. I checked what I was eating on the FatSecret App - which I heard about on here. It’s great, simple and really motivating.

For good measure I am applying TR (time restricted) eating of 16/8 - dinner at 6pm, b fast 10am. B fast is 2 eggs, bacon, avo or spinach, tin of salmon, avo boiled egg.

I am also doing some moderate to intense exercise after dinner - a bike ride. Instead of slumping onto a couch and mindlessly scrolling thu my iphone.

I also acquired a blood sugar test kit - which I log on the mysugr App. Again great.

The rest the week following a similar routine, by the way I felt pretty rotten for a couple of days, felt sorry for myself, **** I felt deprived! But I gave up smoking years ago and know that feeling and that it passes to emerge in sunlit uplands of a happier me. SO I kept going - no choice really.

Blood Glucose readings going forward (only including fasting BS reading and post dinner 2hr reading)

Friday 24th: Morning Fast reading :5.5 Then 2hrs after dinner and exercise BS:4.1

Monday 27th: Morning Fast reading :4.6 Then 2hrs after dinner and exercise BS:5.4

Friday 31st. (today) Morning Fast reading :5.0 *only fit in a brisk walk last night

I went back to the docs on Tues 28th for my second test result which he said confirmed the first - that I was T2 diabetic. I didn’t have someone else’s results. But here is my confusion. My fasting BS was 7.1 and my HbA1C was 5.8%, 40mmol. Both here in Oz are diagnosed as diabetes. However, in other literature the HbA1C results I got are indicative of prediabetes. I’m not trying to wriggle out of my diagnosis but would appreciate if anyone has some practical advice/observation on what I might actually have?

On the day of my second results the Dr offered me diabetes medication which I politely declined. I then showed him my BS results. We both agreed with such encouraging numbers, it was worth persevering with low carb to see if I can maintain diet control of my diabetes. However I did accept his offer of half a tablet of Corvesyl for my ticker.

Apologies for a long post. I’m noting my experience in detail to help add to the body of evidence of anyone else in the same position as me, dealing with a shock as we say goodbye to that youthful sense of immortality.

If anyone else who is further down this road than me can give an interpretation of my results that would be appreciated. My mum refuses to believe I’m diabetic, and as my HbA1C are borderline I’m struggling to convince her. Perhaps she doesn’t want to give me sympathy, like when I she sent me to school when I had appendicitis.

Appreciated reading the content on this forum. It’s been so comforting in these early days of fear to feel others have endured, remained positive and have created such a supportive community I had no idea even existed just 10 days ago.

Thank you for reading
Jeff
Hi Jeff,
You are doing well and yes I agree this forum is a godsend, I was only diagnosed 3 days ago. I was in so much shock initially I cried and cried in hospital. I then felt low, there are lots of worrying facts and figures. My BS was 21.6 initially with a range of 22.6 falling to 15. I am a skinny fat person, with middle age spread, a bmi of 23 and physically active. I think the visceral fat has wrapped around my liver and pancreas. Ive also been carb heavy in Lockdown and there's been a heck of a lot of stress. We all have individual tolerance levels.
I've cut out added sugar, potatoes, rice, bread, pasta and booze. Before dinner my BS fell to 8.5, which I am elated at. I am taking 1 metformin tablet daily but I think I'm losing the sugar mainly through diet. My aim is to reverse this illness through diet (Michael Mosley 8 week blood sugar diet recipe book arrived today). I'm feeling very optimistic. Good luck

SQ71

Hi there.

Thank you for reading
Jeff
That seems odd to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with a Hba1c of 40. I'm in New Zealand and had an annual Hba1c of 51 and was told I had prediabetes. Yours is way lower than mine and your blood sugar readings all look normal to me. Also its not usual to diagnose type 2 with 1 hba1c if a person has no symptoms of diabetes. Diagnosis would require another test at least 3 months later. My GP wants a 7 month wait before she will repeat the test.

In NZ a fasting blood sugar of over 7 indicates diabetes but again the test needs to be repeated 3 months later when no symptoms are present. It seems to me that you've been diagnosed solely on the high fasting level, rather than the Hba1c which is within normal range (below 42). I think you're right to question it.

Growling Frog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That seems odd to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with a Hba1c of 40. I'm in New Zealand and had an annual Hba1c of 51 and was told I had prediabetes. Yours is way lower than mine and your blood sugar readings all look normal to me. Also its not usual to diagnose type 2 with 1 hba1c if a person has no symptoms of diabetes. Diagnosis would require another test at least 3 months later. My GP wants a 7 month wait before she will repeat the test.

In NZ a fasting blood sugar of over 7 indicates diabetes but again the test needs to be repeated 3 months later when no symptoms are present. It seems to me that you've been diagnosed solely on the high fasting level, rather than the Hba1c which is within normal range (below 42). I think you're right to question it.

Hi there. Yes, I went back to doc - I'm a new patient so don't know him v well. I challenged the diagnosis, but he inssited at BS 7.1 I was diabetic. I'm not going to fight him over it because there I'm not a doctor! But I am doing my own LCHF diet, can see my BS dropping and feel in control. And happeir for my new diet and exercise. So it was a welcome diagnosis, if there can be such a thing? I will go for further BS anfd HbA1c tests in a couple of months na perhaps engange further once I see what they are. I did accept a script for Medformin. 500mg/day to begin, adn if I tolerate it to go to 1000mg. Why you may ask if I have it uner control. Well, I figure if I can tolerate it, there are other health benefits on top of assisting with my blood sugars - vascular protection and even it seems longevity assistance.

Growling Frog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jeff,
You are doing well and yes I agree this forum is a godsend, I was only diagnosed 3 days ago. I was in so much shock initially I cried and cried in hospital. I then felt low, there are lots of worrying facts and figures. My BS was 21.6 initially with a range of 22.6 falling to 15. I am a skinny fat person, with middle age spread, a bmi of 23 and physically active. I think the visceral fat has wrapped around my liver and pancreas. Ive also been carb heavy in Lockdown and there's been a heck of a lot of stress. We all have individual tolerance levels.
I've cut out added sugar, potatoes, rice, bread, pasta and booze. Before dinner my BS fell to 8.5, which I am elated at. I am taking 1 metformin tablet daily but I think I'm losing the sugar mainly through diet. My aim is to reverse this illness through diet (Michael Mosley 8 week blood sugar diet recipe book arrived today). I'm feeling very optimistic. Good luck

Hi bex72. Yes I felt the same. Great that you are feeling better - optimistic! Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll be fine with your new positive can do attitude.

Reactions: Bex72

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So it was a welcome diagnosis, if there can be such a thing?
Quite a few of us feel that way, because it signalled the dawn of a new era: I know I was existing more than living when the diagnosis came, and once I knew what was wrong, I could do something about it. This is also probably why people actually celebrate their "diaversary". I had a really, really good steak lunch when I celebrated my 4th year since diagnosis. ;)