Newly Diagnosed Type 1

Braziertaff

Hi,

A little bit about myself, im 29 in the British army, RAMC, as a medic just did my clm part 3 rank of Corporal, was just about to sign my veng long, (I suppose they'll stop me from doing that now) veng long is my extension to 22 years I've served 6 1/2 years so far. I'm currently attached to an infantry battalion and have been highly deployable and deployed throughout.

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with type 1 I felt unwell for a few days and identified it myself and was in hospital over night to do bloods and get my glucose levels. I have been in leave since my first day back tomorrow.

I understand I'll be MND (T) downgraded initially for 3 months and I understand I could be administratively discharged because of it to.

I'm looking for guidance from anyone who's been through or going through something similar or anyone with any knowledge on this.

How long the process will be if I do get a administrative discharge?
What help is out there? I've emailed alot of the charities like the RBL and they tell me to speak to a different organsitaionsand keep sending me in circles.

Financially wise if I do lose my job what support is there for me?

What kind of jobs can I and can't I do?

There is so many questions going through my head but their just a couple.

Be greatly appreciated for any information you guys can provide

Many thanks
Daniel

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Welcome to the forum, tagging @daisy1 for the welcome blurb.

I don’t know much about your particular situation but just wanted to say hi :smug:

Reactions: alphabeta

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daniel - I have no idea where you are based at present, but if you have a SSAFA presence, they should be able to help, or if not help directly, then signpost you appropriately.

I'm sort of assuming you don't want to approach the Families Officer or to discuss it with the medics yet?

Alternatively, the RBL website yields this: http://support.britishlegion.org.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/175/kw/Medical discharge help

There's a lot on the RBL website: http://support.britishlegion.org.uk/app/answers/list/st/5/kw/Medical discharge help/page/2

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Braziertaff

Hello Daniel and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: porl69

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members

I was in the Army in the 90's but not as a type 1 diabetic. Surely you will be entitled to a resettlement course if you've served > 5 years ? When I got out I registered with https://www.rfea.org.uk/ and got a couple of jobs through them , they were really helpful also.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, especially tough given you’re in the forces. However, you sound very employable and very capable so if you are discharged, work can take an unexpected but positive direction.

Can’t help directly, but I did recall this thread I’ve copied in below. It might be worth you pm’ing or tagging some of those participants into this thread, as I think several were in your situation.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetes-and-the-armed-forces.122836/#post-1677465

Good luck with it.

Braziertaff

Sorry for the late reply just returned work yesterday and trying to adjust and see how I'm able to control it here. The food at the cookhouse is pretty poor either barely no nutritious foods or theyve boiled all the healthy options dry standard military cookhouse and there are no cooking facilities so trying to juggle how to cope lol.

Hi Meldcp

DCUKMOD;
There isn't an ssafa on camp I'm based in chepstow, I haven't tried them I will email them. RBL said they can't do anything for me adctold me to speak to welfare and they can't do anything either. Speaojngtocthe medics I am one of the medics lol. Families officer? Never heard of one at battalion level.

Braziertaff

Thanks for the info daisy.

Wurst I will get minimum resettlement if I am discharged other than that im not to sure as it's just over 3 weeks since being diagnosed and I know I'll be in limbo waiting to get any other info up until Christmas where the occupational health team will handle my career in their hands in one way.

Thanks Draco

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Thankfully management for T1 has improved over the years and the attitude of Police and Defence forces has changed for people that one would be automatically rejected e.g. some types of amputees, so although you may not be deployable you maybe able to move into a training unit and remain in the Army. I know someone here was going for a job as a prison officer with T1. Don't accept the first or second refusal. Good luck.

Braziertaff

Thanks I understand I won't be deployable anymore just gutted and frustrated as I'm currently in limbo waiting to get transferred to the occupational health team which takes about 6 months.

Just had a letter from the dvlatoday that has really frustrated me. They have revoked my C licence because I can't produce three months worth of blood glucose readings. I cant produce it because I was only diagnosed just over 3 weeks ago. I don't use it constantly but it makes me more employable in work and I was using it as I was in the middle of moving homes and helping a friend move home so dissapointed feels like I've been punished for having diabetes and following the rules.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Braziertaff - I know Chepstow pretty well, husband grew up there.

So sorry to read about your licence, you did the right thing in telling them but totally get your frustration.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Thanks I understand I won't be deployable anymore just gutted and frustrated as I'm currently in limbo waiting to get transferred to the occupational health team which takes about 6 months.

Just had a letter from the dvlatoday that has really frustrated me. They have revoked my C licence because I can't produce three months worth of blood glucose readings. I cant produce it because I was only diagnosed just over 3 weeks ago. I don't use it constantly but it makes me more employable in work and I was using it as I was in the middle of moving homes and helping a friend move home so dissapointed feels like I've been punished for having diabetes and following the rules.
@Braziertaff I fully sympathise/ The biggest problem with dealing with the DVLA is that it is a computerised tick box system. If you haven't already, you could try talking to an actual sentient being at DVLA on 0300 083 0083, but it requires the patience of a saint to sit through endless wallpaper music. I wish you the best of luck

Jbeardy

I was in the RAF Regiment for 4 and a half years before I got diagnosed.
I was fully discharged within 6 months. Honestly it processed so quickly I didn’t get a chance to think. Due to the condition not being caused by the job, there wasn’t any compensation, just support that was available to anyone leaving the services. I was absolutely gutted but it can’t be changed.
I’m now studying to become a teacher which I love and has become a silver lining.

Reactions: miahara

Zoh

@Braziertaff ive been type 1 since i was 1, the only thing i was told i could not join was any services ( army navy raf ) you can do any job pretty much baring in mind your in control of your diabetes , i work in childacre have done for a very long time now so have to look after the children and no issues what so ever. Plenty of carb counting and mainting your suager levels and ajust your insulin or pump you will do fine, financially i think you can apply for PIP ( personal independance payment - apply for a form online ) see if your entitled to it ( personally ive not tried ) but hope this helps and your well . All the best

Maximus060

A little bit about myself, im 29 in the British army, RAMC, as a medic just did my clm part 3 rank of Corporal, was just about to sign my veng long, (I suppose they'll stop me from doing that now) veng long is my extension to 22 years I've served 6 1/2 years so far. I'm currently attached to an infantry battalion and have been highly deployable and deployed throughout.

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with type 1 I felt unwell for a few days and identified it myself and was in hospital over night to do bloods and get my glucose levels. I have been in leave since my first day back tomorrow.

I understand I'll be MND (T) downgraded initially for 3 months and I understand I could be administratively discharged because of it to.

I'm looking for guidance from anyone who's been through or going through something similar or anyone with any knowledge on this.

What help is out there? I've emailed alot of the charities like the RBL and they tell me to speak to a different organsitaionsand keep sending me in circles.

Many thanks
Daniel
Hi, I was d
Hi,

Many thanks
Daniel
Hi, welcome to the group, I was diagnosed in 1994 after 8 years of service in the RAF, I was allowed to finish my 12 as I had recently signed on but on light duties, not sure on Army regs, but I claim a “war disability pension” , I was advised to do this by an RAF Doctor, i recurve £74 a week, doesn’t make up for leaving service but it helps, good luck, hope this helped

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Many thanks
Daniel

Hi Daniel, what about the Police??? I know there are many ex forces members that have joined, the traits for each profession are a good match. There are plenty of type 1 diabetics too, you do have to go through the medical (which would include how your diabetes is managed etc) but what are your thoughts????

Braziertaff

Sorry I haven't replied. Been trying to figure things out and pick the brains of as many experts as I can. I've done some research in my career. Because I'm in the royal army medical corps attached to an infantry battalion it's a long drawn process: I've been made MND (not deployable) in August I've got to wait 6 months before they transfer me to occupational health and they will take a further 6 months to make a decision on what I can do if I do get discharged medically or administratively it will be Christmas next year until I'm out (8 year point) so I'm effectively in limbo doing what I can in the med centre atm.

I joined to be a light role company medic and this is what I currently am, I know this is not possible anymore but do I want to stay and do another job in not sure. One thing I do know if I do get discharged I will fight for medical discharge as I wanted to do the full career inside but I was suppose to sign my 22 year contract 2 weeks before I got diagnosed but I've been away and they've taken it away from me now which is upsetting because of this illness.

Braziertaff

Thanks for the support guys I've got to start planning a new life I suppose it's been overwhelming don't know if it's like this for everyone else. Everything I do or done has to change and it's hard I enjoy pushing myself to the limit physically and mentally I've tried to keep doing it but as I found out last week I became overly exhausted and had 4 hypos in 24 hours and it drained me (not dangerous hypos where I needed asst I must add) I've had the weekend recuperate andcthink and I've got to change this otherwise I'll end up doing some major damage to myself physically and it's breaking me mentally.

Reactions: Campbell90

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sounds like you're having a tough time right now with it, @Braziertaff .

T1 is a ***** at times but it is what it is and we have to deal with it. Your army training will put you in a good place for jobs on the outside if it goes that way.

My way of dealing with T1 (I was dx'd 30 yrs ago) is to look for the positives: I was dx'd early enough to not die from dka. You've been demobilised, so you're not going to get killed in Kabul - there's always a bright side if you look hard enough for it...

Reactions: Campbell90