Newly diagnosed Type 2, need some suggestions and opinions please

rilakkuma02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, everyone,

I Just met my GP yesterday to confirm I have Type 2 Diabetes. It has been up and down for last 2 weeks. Knowing my blood sugar was high few years ago, it was not surprised about the news. Now, no time to think the past but action to take for future. After seeing my GP, I had a few questions in my mind (not enough thinking, time to ask details in person) So please share some your opinions or suggestions. Thank you.

My blood sugar lever is 60 mmol/L and I asked if I needed to monitor my own blood sugar level and my GP said no. I will be also on 3 months Metformin 500mg(once a day/evening) before they review my condition and medications. After seeing my GP, I searched in the forum people talked about they still have a BG meter to measure everyday. Without knowing the reason and methods how often to measure I am confused what to do. On the other hand, I am bit concerning the BG test every day, stress level can go up and I could not sleep well (past experience) to hope next morning my blood sugar going to spike. Any suggestions for managing the stress?

Additionally, my GP referred me to Diabetes education courses. Does anyone heard anything if this still running and how they manage the course during the pandemic?

Thank you

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, everyone,

I Just met my GP yesterday to confirm I have Type 2 Diabetes. It has been up and down for last 2 weeks. Knowing my blood sugar was high few years ago, it was not surprised about the news. Now, no time to think the past but action to take for future. After seeing my GP, I had a few questions in my mind (not enough thinking, time to ask details in person) So please share some your opinions or suggestions. Thank you.

My blood sugar lever is 60 mmol/L and I asked if I needed to monitor my own blood sugar level and my GP said no. I will be also on 3 months Metformin 500mg(once a day/evening) before they review my condition and medications. After seeing my GP, I searched in the forum people talked about they still have a BG meter to measure everyday. Without knowing the reason and methods how often to measure I am confused what to do. On the other hand, I am bit concerning the BG test every day, stress level can go up and I could not sleep well (past experience) to hope next morning my blood sugar going to spike. Any suggestions for managing the stress?

Additionally, my GP referred me to Diabetes education courses. Does anyone heard anything if this still running and how they manage the course during the pandemic?

Thank you
Hi @rilakkuma02 welcome and hug for the worry caused by the diagnosis. In general, members here use a meter to test on waking, just before their first mouthful of food and 2 hours after the first mouthful of food. They are looking for a rise of 2 or less between pre meal and 2 hours. Knowing which foods or meals and at which times of the day spike your bg helps to lower the morning level - provided the food is low carbohydrate. Levels frequently drop quickly so anxiety around the next day's level may well subside fast. Of course, everyone is different and anxiety is hard to manage. I hope this helps but you need to balance the benefit of testing against the anxiety that may cause.

Last edited:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed T2 last December and went low-carb immediately. No medication, HbA1c was 50mmol/l. After reading this forum I bought myself a meter and tested before and after meals etc. This gave me immediate and positive feedback that the low-carb was working and working fast. By April my HbA1c was down to 36mmol/l.... and I've lost five inches off my waist measurement. So given my experience I'd strongly advise getting a meter and testing. Some GPs seem to think that testing will stress the patient, and we're too delicate to be able to cope.

On the courses - they all stopped by March in this area (W Yorkshire) and no signs of anything changing. Parts of mine were excellent, and parts were not. T2 patients advised to eat lots of high-carb starch by a diabetic nurse, and to avoid carbs as far as possible by the dietician, does not make for a clear message.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Unless you are easily stressed I would get hold of a meter and test occasionally. I wouldn't worry too much about a first thing in the morning reading due to the overnight liver dump of glucose. I would just do before and 2 hours after main meals. Be aware that NHS diet advice isn't good so if you do go on one of their courses follow diet advice on this column where the NHS differs; carbs are our main problem not fats (or calories)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find testing reassuring rather than stressful because it is fairly immediate and controllable by adjusting what I eat.

On the other hand, waiting 3 or more months for a doctors test and not knowing what my sugars are doing in all that time is way more stressful and for a longer period

After a few months of regular testing I have reduced it because I know now what spikes me and what doesn't so i have no need to do it so much any more.

Just my take on it

Reactions: rilakkuma02

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect it is your Hba1c that is 60, the units are mmol/mol - and whilst it is in the diabetic range, it is not drastically so - mine was 91 at diagnosis and was just in the normal range 6 months later, but I can't really recommend following the Education Course advice if it is anything like the one I went on. We were told that baked potato and beans was a good lunch. Well - yes, if you want to snooze away the afternoon in a high glucose haze it is.
With a glucose meter you check that you are eating the right amount of carbs to give you normal numbers, and tweak the menu if you aren't - that is all it is, no stress, just reassurance that you are getting it right.
If you start a low carb way of eating you could well find out that you are no longer diabetic by the time the courses are up and running again.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect it is your Hba1c that is 60, the units are mmol/mol - and whilst it is in the diabetic range, it is not drastically so - mine was 91 at diagnosis and was just in the normal range 6 months later, but I can't really recommend following the Education Course advice if it is anything like the one I went on. We were told that baked potato and beans was a good lunch. Well - yes, if you want to snooze away the afternoon in a high glucose haze it is.
With a glucose meter you check that you are eating the right amount of carbs to give you normal numbers, and tweak the menu if you aren't - that is all it is, no stress, just reassurance that you are getting it right.
If you start a low carb way of eating you could well find out that you are no longer diabetic by the time the courses are up and running again.
Agreed with the food thing, I used to get really tired in the afternoons after eating carbs and never really understood why, I knew chocolate and sugary stuff did it but exactly as you say, potato would do it too. I remember thinking I was being good by moving to “healthy”?smoothies and increasing my fruit intake, yeah... not so much

disagree with no longer diabetic. Yes you can move your results to a non diabetic level potentially but change your diet back and the results will head back to range. Remission, held in check are better ways to put it but there is no cure

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry about your diagnosis, and welcome to the group.

If you are going to treat your diabetes with diet or lifestyle changes, then a meter and daily (or frequent) readings can help you assess how you're doing, what works, and what doesn't. If you are going to take your metformin, live your life, and check your lab results in 3 months, there's no reason for a BG meter.

Resurgam and others here are right. Most GPs and even diabetic nurses and nutritionists will give you "conventional" advice. If you stick around here a bit, you will hear from countless people (myself included) who did so much better with low-carb eating or other insulin lowering protocols.

rilakkuma02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @rilakkuma02 welcome and hug for the worry caused by the diagnosis. In general, members here use a meter to test on waking, just before their first mouthful of food and 2 hours after the first mouthful of food. They are looking for a rise of 2 or less between pre meal and 2 hours. Knowing which foods or meals and at which times of the day spike your bg helps to lower the morning level - provided the food is low carbohydrate. Levels frequently drop quickly so anxiety around the next day's level may well subside fast. Of course, everyone is different and anxiety is hard to manage. I hope this helps but you need to balance the benefit of testing against the anxiety that may cause.
Hi, Thank you for replying to me. It is good idea after reading all the replies. I hope I can manage it well. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Thank you for replying to me. It is good idea after reading all the replies. I hope I can manage it well. :)
A very wise decision. May I suggest you read one (or all) of the threads on people's morning/fbg to give you some idea/confidence. Once your anxiety subsides post your numbers as many find that helps keep them motivated. Looking forward to seeing your journey become amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: rilakkuma02

rilakkuma02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was diagnosed T2 last December and went low-carb immediately. No medication, HbA1c was 50mmol/l. After reading this forum I bought myself a meter and tested before and after meals etc. This gave me immediate and positive feedback that the low-carb was working and working fast. By April my HbA1c was down to 36mmol/l.... and I've lost five inches off my waist measurement. So given my experience I'd strongly advise getting a meter and testing. Some GPs seem to think that testing will stress the patient, and we're too delicate to be able to cope.

On the courses - they all stopped by March in this area (W Yorkshire) and no signs of anything changing. Parts of mine were excellent, and parts were not. T2 patients advised to eat lots of high-carb starch by a diabetic nurse, and to avoid carbs as far as possible by the dietician, does not make for a clear message.

Thank you for your reply. I had a meter and tested few times in the past week fasting BS was between 6.2-6.4 with medication /dinner before. I do not know if this is good sign or medication works better than my diet. But I will continue with diet and medication for these months before seeing my GP again. I think testing it is good at least I know what spikes my BG.

About the course, yes, I emailed them and course was stopped. It is not ideal but I can get to learn from other places. I have been avoiding carbs as much as I can. I have been craving for carbs than sugaring food for a while. But I think I need to lower mine quickly and that lose weight too. Long way to go, hopefully I can put this into remission.

rilakkuma02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Sorry about your diagnosis, and welcome to the group.

If you are going to treat your diabetes with diet or lifestyle changes, then a meter and daily (or frequent) readings can help you assess how you're doing, what works, and what doesn't. If you are going to take your metformin, live your life, and check your lab results in 3 months, there's no reason for a BG meter.

Resurgam and others here are right. Most GPs and even diabetic nurses and nutritionists will give you "conventional" advice. If you stick around here a bit, you will hear from countless people (myself included) who did so much better with low-carb eating or other insulin lowering protocols.

Thank you for you reply.
My GP said my BG level would not work without medication only through dieting and exercise. I chose to because of that. I have been following a good low carb diet and exercise routine for 3 weeks and lost about 3kg. I do not ever want to reply on medication for rest my life where is possible. I will follow people's advice, testing and managing for these few months and review in the end of the year. Then I will have it tested again to see if I can be off the med.