Newly diagnosed with prediabetes

Norteme

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was surprised to find that i have prediabetes this week and am seeing the diabetic nurse next week. Is it a good idea to get a blood glucose monitor now? If so, does anyone have any recommendations as they’re are a lot to choose from. Thank you :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Yes, it can be a shock, but panic not, we are all here to help you.
The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Getting a meter is the very best thing you can do as a first step. Next step is when you see the nurse - ask her for a print out of your blood test results. It is important to have these in black and white, and not just the glucose ones but also all the others you may have had, especially cholesterol, lipids, liver and kidney functions. We can help you understand them if necessary.

Have a good read round and ask a lot of questions.

Norteme

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the advice and links. I’ll make sure i ask the nurse for the blood results. Now just need to lose a couple of stone ;-)

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - no - you really need to control blood sugars.
Weightloss might be a good thing, and it is far easier - usually - when you have sorted out your metabolism, but controlling blood glucose levels should be the first goal - no use losing weight and still having all the problems associated with diabetes and all the risks of complications.

Reactions: Ultramum
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was surprised to find that i have prediabetes this week and am seeing the diabetic nurse next week. Is it a good idea to get a blood glucose monitor now? If so, does anyone have any recommendations as they’re are a lot to choose from. Thank you :)
Sounds like a similar situation to me back in september. I had an hba1c of 45, ave blood glucose of 6.2%. I got a TEE2 and went on a low carb diet. So far so good - I've lost 3kg and my BGs seem down, which I wouldn't know without a meter.

I did see the diabetic nurse for tests on my feet, blood pressure, eye test, etc. and no damage, so I'm hoping more exercise and low carbing (<89g per day) will stave off having to use meds.

Let us know what numbers you get. Its not the end of the world.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Ah - no - you really need to control blood sugars.
Weightloss might be a good thing, and it is far easier - usually - when you have sorted out your metabolism, but controlling blood glucose levels should be the first goal - no use losing weight and still having all the problems associated with diabetes and all the risks of complications.

Actually Resurgam that is a very relevant comment. Weight loss is one thing and getting glucose under control another. I seem to have done it the wrong way round and I wish I had found this site much sooner. I was diagnosed with hypertension 5 years ago and it shook me to the core, much more than a later diagnosis of pre diabetes did. I tried all the usual things to lower it, all to no avail and I had to take meds; they scare the daylights out of you if you don't.
I lost almost 3 stone which is where it has stayed more or less ever since. I had thought I was low carbing but couldn't have been more wrong as although eating very little bread or potato I was eating a lot of fruit and I suppose other carby vegetables. Never a problem getting 5 a day only trouble they were the wrong 5 and it would appear my blood glucose is rising.

Reactions: shelley262

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat lots of cauliflower, mushrooms, sweet peppers, courgettes, loads of ready made green salad, tomatoes cucumber radish celery celeriac, and also low carb mixtures of berries and cherries with cream.
I also eat lots of eggs, cheese meat, shellfish and fish.
The only breadlike things I eat are the Lidl protein rolls.
I have normal blood glucose and Hba1c, and blood pressure - although my cholesterol was higher than they liked last time, I pointed out that I'd lost weight and that elevates cholesterol as it is involved in moving fat - and that all the levels were normal ideal or good.

Reactions: Prem51 and Ultramum

canoncheryl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am shocked at how little help I am getting as someone diagnosed with prediabetes and feel utterly at sea. First of all no one told me I was pre-diabetic until quite by accident while getting some antibiotics I asked about recent blood tests and the nurse said 'Don't worry, you're still pre-diabetic, but don't worry we test your blood every year.' This seemed to imply that they're not interested until I actually have diabetes, a situation I would prefer to avoid; so apart from losing weight I have no idea what to do or where to start. Browsing these forums has helped a bit but can anyone point me to some basic advice as to how to get my blood sugar back into the 'normal' range. I should I start testing my blood sugar or what- grateful for any pointers people can provide.

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome Canoncheryl. You are in the right place here for lots of info and support. Like you I'm prediabetic and diagnosed a couple of months ago during a routine well person test.
If you start a new thread in the Prediabetes forum someone will tag Daisy to give you some very useful info to start you off. (I'm still new here so I don't know how to do this).

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Sounds like a similar situation to me back in september. I had an hba1c of 45, ave blood glucose of 6.2%. I got a TEE2 and went on a low carb diet. So far so good - I've lost 3kg and my BGs seem down, which I wouldn't know without a meter.

I did see the diabetic nurse for tests on my feet, blood pressure, eye test, etc. and no damage, so I'm hoping more exercise and low carbing (<89g per day) will stave off having to use meds.

Let us know what numbers you get. Its not the end of the world.

You have a very good practice if you had eye tests and feet and blood pressure done if you are prediabetic. I'd
I am shocked at how little help I am getting as someone diagnosed with prediabetes and feel utterly at sea. First of all no one told me I was pre-diabetic until quite by accident while getting some antibiotics I asked about recent blood tests and the nurse said 'Don't worry, you're still pre-diabetic, but don't worry we test your blood every year.' This seemed to imply that they're not interested until I actually have diabetes, a situation I would prefer to avoid; so apart from losing weight I have no idea what to do or where to start. Browsing these forums has helped a bit but can anyone point me to some basic advice as to how to get my blood sugar back into the 'normal' range. I should I start testing my blood sugar or what- grateful for any pointers people can provide.

Canoncheryl, You have come to the right place, there are people here who can put you on the right track, imo they know more than your average GP about diabetes! but your experience of the system is what more or less happened to me. As you say they don't seem to care until you've tipped over the edge then Wham! they have you in their sights and all of the NHS comes down like a ton of bricks. Tests for this and tests for that and if they don't find something amiss they feel cheated. And statins on offer of course. I know I must sound a thoroughly ungrateful so and so but I did feel like that when the MOT revealed [very] high blood pressure some years ago. I could almost feel the sense of achievement of the HCA, she almost fell off her chair. She was visibly disappointed that the urine sample wasn't loaded with glucose I think. She sounded disappointed anyway!
It was several months after that that I was able to access my med notes online and there I saw the HbA1c result, it was 41 but I realised how close to prediabetic it was and mentioned it to the dr next time. She just said that it was still normal but admitted it was high end of normal and that it would rise and then they would prescribe Metformin. Oh, and watch your diet she said. No details whatsoever. She said I should be grateful but I wasn't. 5 years on and almost 3 stone lighter yet the HbA1c is now 43.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @Norteme and @canoncheryl

I found @daisy1 's new member advice so helpful when I first joined the forum so I have tagged her and she will post in this thread tomorrow.

My surgery amost seem dissappointed I have not progressed to type 2. I highly recommend getting a meter to ensure you are eating the foods that you can tolerate.

There is a wealth of information and experience of the forum and we love questions.

Reactions: Prem51 and Norteme

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here all of you keep asking questions, this is really a great place to learn how to cope

Reactions: Norteme

canoncheryl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome to the forum @Norteme and @canoncheryl

I found @daisy1 's new member advice so helpful when I first joined the forum so I have tagged her and she will post in this thread tomorrow.

My surgery amost seem dissappointed I have not progressed to type 2. I highly recommend getting a meter to ensure you are eating the foods that you can tolerate.

There is a wealth of information and experience of the forum and we love questions.
Thank you so much

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually Resurgam that is a very relevant comment. Weight loss is one thing and getting glucose under control another. I seem to have done it the wrong way round and I wish I had found this site much sooner. I was diagnosed with hypertension 5 years ago and it shook me to the core, much more than a later diagnosis of pre diabetes did. I tried all the usual things to lower it, all to no avail and I had to take meds; they scare the daylights out of you if you don't.
I lost almost 3 stone which is where it has stayed more or less ever since. I had thought I was low carbing but couldn't have been more wrong as although eating very little bread or potato I was eating a lot of fruit and I suppose other carby vegetables. Never a problem getting 5 a day only trouble they were the wrong 5 and it would appear my blood glucose is rising.
Have you checked to see if any of the meds you are taking can raise bg? You could look in the leaflets that come with them, but also it's worth Googling. It was by Googling that I found out that Apixaban has a high risk of raising bgs, and as a result was able to swap it for an equivalent drug (Dabigatran) which doesn't seem to have that effect. I sympathise about the pseudo-low carbing. In the beginning I imagined all sorts of foods were ultra-low/free of carbs that weren't so at all. It has been a process of gradual disillusion! No wonder really if we get in a muddle. Diabetes is a lot to get one's head round. After all, most of the health professionals who are supposedly trained and are certainly paid to do so have never got the hang of it, so no surprise if we the patients don't always get it right first time. Onwards and upwards!

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
welcome here all of you keep asking questions, this is really a great place to learn how to cope

Hello Freema, It looks like you've done brilliantly in reducing your glucose and your weight. Well done you.
I see you take Levothyroxin which I suppose is for hypothyroidism? Did you have the thyroid problem before developing diabetes or did diabetes develop afterwards? I know very little about thyroid problems but my 50 yr old son has had problems for some years. Can I ask if hypothyroidism had anything to do with you developing diabetes? Initially my son had hyperthyroidism then when that was sorted hypothyroidism took over for which he takes thyroxin in some form. At a recent visit to his doctor for a check up he was told his HbA1c was 43 and he was likely to develop diabetes.
I am feeling the hypothyroidism has something to do with this but am not sure. He is certainly overweight and probably his lifestyle isn't brilliant but it's not all that bad either. I'm not sure he takes it all seriously enough and he thinks I fuss too much. I just wondered what your opinion is.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Norteme @canoncheryl

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

canoncheryl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@Norteme @canoncheryl

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

Thank you,

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

canoncheryl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you daisy1. I have got an appointment with the diabetic nurse at the practice after I asked for one. Happy to buy a blood testing meter but have no idea what I'm doing with it in terms of using it to help me make best food choices etc. ( I do know how to use one as many family members, now deceased were diabetic).

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At a recent visit to his doctor for a check up he was told his HbA1c was 43 and he was likely to develop diabetes.
Does your son realise that although an A1c of 43 is considered "only" pre-diabetic, the risk of heart failure is already raised at this stage? If he does know this, I guess it is his choice to ignore it and there is nothing you can do other than set a good example and be ready to give advice if ever he asks for it. Heart-breaking, I know, but there must be many wives, mothers and girl-friends in the same position.