Newly diagnosed

Nikki1878

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was only diagnosed with type 2 diabetes yesterday but had suffered from gestational diabetes with 2 of my 3 pregnancies. But I never really took it seriously until now. As I thought it would just go away like it did with my first pregnancy with diabetes.
Now I'm just feeling totally overwhelmed and really don't know where to start with improving my blood sugars. Apart from avoiding the obvious sweets, cakes, chocolate, crisps, biscuits, junk food etc I've no idea what foods I should limit or avoid. I've been given metformin and very little information from the doctor until I see another GP in 2 weeks time. I just feel totally out of my depth and very stressed and anxious about it all.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Take a deep breath. It's not the end of the world, or your life. Tagging @daisy1 for some welcome info and advice.
Welcome to the forum.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
And while you wait for her very informative post, here's an encouraging video to watch.

I remember the first morning after my diagnosis. I didn't dare eat anything but a cucumber, which I didn't enjoy at all :meh:
Cheer up, read this forum, learn and enjoy the great athmosphere.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Hi, I was only diagnosed with type 2 diabetes yesterday but had suffered from gestational diabetes with 2 of my 3 pregnancies. But I never really took it seriously until now. As I thought it would just go away like it did with my first pregnancy with diabetes.
Now I'm just feeling totally overwhelmed and really don't know where to start with improving my blood sugars. Apart from avoiding the obvious sweets, cakes, chocolate, crisps, biscuits, junk food etc I've no idea what foods I should limit or avoid. I've been given metformin and very little information from the doctor until I see another GP in 2 weeks time. I just feel totally out of my depth and very stressed and anxious about it all.
We all feel just as you do when we get the dreaded diagnosis. Take a deep breath then put your faith in this group who can take you along the path to healthy foods etc and you may even be surprised at what you CAN eat!!! It's fine once you get over the shock :D

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was right where you are a year ago, I felt shell shocked, “shell shocked” was in fact the title of my first post here. Let me tell you what I did. I was given Metformin and little more in the way of info from my Dr. I came here and with the forums help I started counting carbs, under 100g/day initially then after 6 weeks I dropped to 50-70g/day. I got my self a meter and self monitored to identify which foods I could and couldn’t tolerate. After 4 months my blood sugars were non diabetic and I’ve managed to keep them there ever since.
Fire away with your questions and we’ll help you.

Reactions: sunlover and Mal37

Nikki1878

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was right where you are a year ago, I felt shell shocked, “shell shocked” was in fact the title of my first post here. Let me tell you what I did. I was given Metformin and little more in the way of info from my Dr. I came here and with the forums help I started counting carbs, under 100g/day initially then after 6 weeks I dropped to 50-70g/day. I got my self a meter and self monitored to identify which foods I could and couldn’t tolerate. After 4 months my blood sugars were non diabetic and I’ve managed to keep them there ever since.
Fire away with your questions and we’ll help you.
How did you work out your carbs in grams? Some food packaging gives you the carbs per 100g of food etc. But say you only have a 30/40g portion of it. Would you just divide the carbs from 100g by 3 or 4 and take that figure or is there a more accurate way of working it out. It may be a silly question. But it just all baffles me. I've not been advised on any daily intake amounts from my GO. So have no idea of what I should be aiming for or targets to keep within etc

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How did you work out your carbs in grams? Some food packaging gives you the carbs per 100g of food etc. But say you only have a 30/40g portion of it. Would you just divide the carbs from 100g by 3 or 4 and take that figure or is there a more accurate way of working it out. It may be a silly question. But it just all baffles me. I've not been advised on any daily intake amounts from my GO. So have no idea of what I should be aiming for or targets to keep within etc

Aswell as the back of packets info, used as you say, I use an app called Nutracheck, you can search a lot of ready made foods, but also individual ingredients too. You can type in the amount your eating and it’ll work out the carbs for you. It is a steep learning curve but take your time, it doesn’t all have to be done at once.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
carbs per 100g of food etc. But say you only have a 30/40g portion of it. Would you just divide the carbs from 100g by 3 or 4 and take that
If you eat 35 grams of something that's say 12% carbs (12 grams per 100 grams) you do 12:100x35. The deviding by 100 gives you carbs per gram of food which you multiply by the amount of grams food you eat.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Nikki,

Welcome to our community!

Avoid high glycemic foods ie potatoes, parsnips, swede, sweetcorn, pumpkin, peanuts, white bread, white rice, pasta, noodles, white flour, all tropical fruits.

Eat above ground low glycemic vegetables ie cabbage, cucumbers, celery, spinach, courgettes, red and green peppers, mushrooms etc.

Increase your healthy fats ie avocados, salmon, extra virgin olive oil, walnuts, pecan nuts, flax seeds, eggs, cheese, full fat yogurt, olives etc.

Eat to your meter. Test before and 2 hours after each meal to see which foods spikes your bg levels.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Andrew

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are lucky like me, then in 6 months you could be back with normal numbers for BG and Hba1c.
you can eat any meat or fish, shellfish, eggs and cheese, put cream in your coffee, have a few berries and cream as a dessert, or make real custard and sugar free jelly. I eat lots of salads, with olive oil and vinegar dressing, proper salads, not just a couple of lettuce leaves and slices of tomato and all sorts of low carb vegetables - I roast some with the meat and put the rest in a steamer.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I was where you are 28 days ago. Don't panic, you are in the right place.

I would advise taking a deep breath and reading on the forums here. There are a lot of people who are controlling their diabetes in different ways, from drugs, to diet and exercise, or a combination of both. The best threads to read when you are feeling overwhelmed are the ones where people talk about their own journey, and you can see how far they have come. It doesn't;t seem quite so impossible to deal with then.

Try having a look at the Success Stories board:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/

There are lots of people there who are sharing their journeys and talking about how they got better control over their blood sugars, in many cases bringing them down to normal levels.

I bought a blood glucose meter, and test my blood sugar when I wake up, before meals and two hours after, and at bedtime. Using the meter and keeping a food diary I have been able to see which foods are spiking my blood sugar and what time of day it is best for me to eat my main meal.

For me that means eating my main meal before 2-3pm, and I can see from my results that eating later causes a bigger rise in blood sugar, even if I eat the same meal. I have also tried fasting, which has worked well, but at the moment I am concentrating on lowering my stress levels as I was feeling a little overwhelmed at times - and that made my blood sugar go up significantly. I also found that a small glass (125ml) of red wine in the evening brought the blood sugars down significantly, so I am trying that for a few weeks to see what happens. I am allowing myself time to get used to this new phase in my life.

Although I have found the diagnosis hard to cope with at times, I see it as a gift - before the diagnosis I still had diabetes, although I didn't know about it. Now I know, I can take control and make positive decisions to make the best of things.

Apart from anything else, after eating high fat low carb for a couple of weeks now, I feel like a new woman - I have tons of energy and I feel a lot better mentally - moods are more even and I have lost the fuzzy head I used to have. I don't get tired as easily and I don't feel hungry all the time like I did before. My daughter commented today that she thought I was much happier since I started eating low carb high fat.

Before making these changes I could barely get out of bed due to feeling totally exhausted all the time. I was also waking several times a night to go to the toilet, and had started to think that feeling like that was normal. I had a permanently fuzzy head and found it hard to think about anything. Now my sugars are coming down I realise that was all to do with having high blood sugar.

I have lowered my blood sugar from an average of 12.8mmol/L over the three months to diagnosis (HbA1c = 82), to solid high fives and low sixes over the last few days. I have been eating low carb high fat for almost 3 weeks now, and can see a trend towards lower blood sugars.

I decided not to go the drug route for now, and I am using diet and exercise to lose weight and get my blood sugar down, but I am open to rethinking if I feel it necessary. My next HbA1c is at the beginning of August and my doctor is very happy with my results so far (I am using the mySugr app on my phone to record the blood sugar results every day). He wants to see a HbA1c of 48 or less in August, and I am already seeing an estimated 41.8 on the mySugr app.

Please don't hesitate to post on the forum with any fears, questions or anything, I have found people on here to be amazingly supportive and a really warm community to be part of.

Last edited:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Nikki1878

Hello Nikki and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will try and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @nikki1878 welcome to the group. Most of us have been where you are at the moment. You have come to the right place for help, advice and support. Do you have a Blood Glucose meter? If not I would suggest getting one, you may be able to get one from your doctors. If not there are a couple that people recommend on here. I have the Codefree one (off e-bay) and the strips are a reasonable price. If you are looking at loosing some weight or getting your Bg and HbA1c down try Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) Again a lot of us are on this and it also has its own section on the forum. There is a lot to take in so try not to worry to much we are here to help and guide you on your journey. Any questions just ask. :)

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done AllieRainbow!!

Just one comment I would like to make - lots of advice on the forum that's all very good and helpful, but please don't make the mistake I have - in lots of posts they say test 2 hours eating to see if your BGs are back DOWN again!! Recently I added a few carbs back into some meals and checked as normal at 2 hours later and THOUGHT it was really good but then found that the spike was yet to come and was only just starting to go up at 2hours. So please do also check at 2 and half and 3 hours too to see what is happening.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done AllieRainbow!!

Just one comment I would like to make - lots of advice on the forum that's all very good and helpful, but please don't make the mistake I have - in lots of posts they say test 2 hours eating to see if your BGs are back DOWN again!! Recently I added a few carbs back into some meals and checked as normal at 2 hours later and THOUGHT it was really good but then found that the spike was yet to come and was only just starting to go up at 2hours. So please do also check at 2 and half and 3 hours too to see what is happening.
Yes that can happen