Newly diagnosed

CotswoldsBloke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I was diagnosed with T2 at the beginning of January this year. I had been previously advised that I was pre-diabetic 3 years ago and went on a fairly hardcore Keto diet and reversed the pre-diabetes without medication (the doctor wanted me to use metformin) but I wasn’t keen.

Those gains have disappeared through bad diet and a lack of exercise, particularly post the start of lockdown.

My diagnosis came about after I went for my blood tests for Hypothyroidism and blood sugar levels. My hba1c level was 87.

I’m also very heavy. At diagnosis, my weight was 28st 4lbs.

I’m now on 2000mg of metformin a day and a statin (as well as my thyroid drug).

I’m determined to get into remission and be drug free fir diabetes and the handle the weight problem for good. To do this I’m being very careful with my carb intake, although I haven’t gone full keto as I just can’t sustain that forever. I’m taking in about 1100 calories a day and averaging about 50-80g of carbohydrates per day. No cereals (although some porridge), no rice, no pasta, no bread, no sweets/choc and no potatoes. I’m still taking in some dairy. I’m also exercising (just brisk walks) every day without exception. I’ve dropped to 24st 8lbs in that time, which is a really encouraging start and I feel so much better. Long way to go, but I’m really only missing bread, so I’m confident that I can maintain this effort.

My next bloods are due in the middle of April and I’m hoping for a significant reduction in my hba1c. I’m not measuring at the moment, but I want to start and have ordered a monitor to help me understand what carbs I can cope with and what I can’t.

Just wanted to share my story in case there are others in similar positions.

All the best
Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome, @CotswoldsBloke .
It looks as though you have made a good start on getting this sorted. Well done, that is a very impressive weight loss. You are right to get yourself a meter, and regularly check your blood glucose levels. They are much more indicative of progress than just waiting for reviews of HbA1c levels.
Look forward to reading of your continued success.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I was diagnosed with T2 at the beginning of January this year. I had been previously advised that I was pre-diabetic 3 years ago and went on a fairly hardcore Keto diet and reversed the pre-diabetes without medication (the doctor wanted me to use metformin) but I wasn’t keen.

Those gains have disappeared through bad diet and a lack of exercise, particularly post the start of lockdown.

My diagnosis came about after I went for my blood tests for Hypothyroidism and blood sugar levels. My hba1c level was 87.

I’m also very heavy. At diagnosis, my weight was 28st 4lbs.

I’m now on 2000mg of metformin a day and a statin (as well as my thyroid drug).

I’m determined to get into remission and be drug free fir diabetes and the handle the weight problem for good. To do this I’m being very careful with my carb intake, although I haven’t gone full keto as I just can’t sustain that forever. I’m taking in about 1100 calories a day and averaging about 50-80g of carbohydrates per day. No cereals (although some porridge), no rice, no pasta, no bread, no sweets/choc and no potatoes. I’m still taking in some dairy. I’m also exercising (just brisk walks) every day without exception. I’ve dropped to 24st 8lbs in that time, which is a really encouraging start and I feel so much better. Long way to go, but I’m really only missing bread, so I’m confident that I can maintain this effort.

My next bloods are due in the middle of April and I’m hoping for a significant reduction in my hba1c. I’m not measuring at the moment, but I want to start and have ordered a monitor to help me understand what carbs I can cope with and what I can’t.

Just wanted to share my story in case there are others in similar positions.

All the best
Nick
Hi there, and nice to meet your.

Not to be "that person" but are you ensuring this diet is being supported by your doctor as 1000 calories sounds very low if not below the minimum recommended and not something advised for long term. Especially with exercise

I did count carbs and calories. Many advise not counting calories at all on low carb. I did and do though just nowhere near your level and I still lost the weight i needed

Reactions: VashtiB

CotswoldsBloke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, and nice to meet your.

Not to be "that person" but are you ensuring this diet is being supported by your doctor as 1000 calories sounds very low if not below the minimum recommended and not something advised for long term. Especially with exercise

I did count carbs and calories. Many advise not counting calories at all on low carb. I did and do though just nowhere near your level and I still lost the weight i needed

Hi, yes, I’m aware the calories are low. My diabetes nurse wanted me to him in a 800 calorie very low calorie diet with shakes/bars. I’ve done that previously and while I lost lots of weight, it came back when I started to eat normally.

The 1100 calories are all derived from unprocessed foods and contain heaps of vegetables with a smattering of fruit. I’m confident in my nutrition and actually feel better than I’ve done in years. My doctor is aware and supportive.

I prefer to count the calories as it ensures my problem with portion control is kept in check, although I probably wouldn’t be so concerned if I was taking it to strict keto levels.

Thanks for replying, I really appreciate.

Nick

CotswoldsBloke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome, @CotswoldsBloke .
It looks as though you have made a good start on getting this sorted. Well done, that is a very impressive weight loss. You are right to get yourself a meter, and regularly check your blood glucose levels. They are much more indicative of progress than just waiting for reviews of HbA1c levels.
Look forward to reading of your continued success.

Hi Pipp,

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

I certainly will update the thread when I get my next set of measures and get hold of a meter.

Nick

Reactions: Pipp

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I'm one of those who doesn't suggest counting Calories. That's not because it won't help weight reduction but it's not based on good science and is sub-optimal. As diabetics we are all glucose intolerant so keeping the carbs down is the main priority for both BS and weight reduction. If you then have enough fats, proteins, veg etc to keep you feeling full you don't need to worry about Calories at all. You can adjust the carbs to get the right level for BS and weight. Anyway, you are taking the right approach so keep at it and you will get there. BTW dairy is fine and make sure your statin dose is based on your various lipids (cholesterol) ratios from your blood tests and that the dose isn't higher than needed as some GPs treat statins like sweets.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it came back when I started to eat normally
Hi, and well done on your results and weight loss.
You seem to have a good understanding of low carb, but I am concerned at the phrase I've highlighted.
For most of us with type 2 diabetes we have to restrict carbs for the rest of out lives, thats why we call it a "way of eating" rather than a diet. I am a little concerned that you may be setting yourself up to cycle "low carb diet to normal, weight gain, repeat "
Yes, limiting calories initially will aid weight loss for a short set period and its good you're being supported and sensible with this.
Meanwhile try to start getting your head around the fact that diabetes is for life, hopefully with most of it in remission or reversed, but that a return to carbs "normal" will likely bring it straight back again. Hopefully, over time you can increase carbs a little bit but even thinking of a return to "normal" will just perpetuate a vicious circle.

I'm not saying this to burst any bubble, I was want you to have the benefits of your efforts for ever

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi and Welcome @CotswoldsBloke
Congratulations on the weight loss. Agree that getting a meter and monitoring is really important so you can monitor your progress and test how different foods impact your BG levels.

It takes a lot of drive to maintain such a low calorie/low carb diet so well done. I count calories and carbs and measure BG levels daily so that I can control my weightloss and BG and so that I don't fall off the wagon again. Keep us posted on your results.

CotswoldsBloke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, and well done on your results and weight loss.
You seem to have a good understanding of low carb, but I am concerned at the phrase I've highlighted.
For most of us with type 2 diabetes we have to restrict carbs for the rest of out lives, thats why we call it a "way of eating" rather than a diet. I am a little concerned that you may be setting yourself up to cycle "low carb diet to normal, weight gain, repeat "
Yes, limiting calories initially will aid weight loss for a short set period and its good you're being supported and sensible with this.
Meanwhile try to start getting your head around the fact that diabetes is for life, hopefully with most of it in remission or reversed, but that a return to carbs "normal" will likely bring it straight back again. Hopefully, over time you can increase carbs a little bit but even thinking of a return to "normal" will just perpetuate a vicious circle.

I'm not saying this to burst any bubble, I was want you to have the benefits of your efforts for ever

All feedback appreciated.

I’m under no illusion that this is a diet or that I won’t be a diabetic forever. It’s why I haven’t gone to something artificial i.e shakes. The food I’m eating now is something I could cope with forever. Over time, as my weight drops, I want to move to some more varied exercise and will increase my calories to suit, but they won’t be derived from the foods that have put me in the position I find myself in.

Thanks for replying, it’s appreciated.

CotswoldsBloke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. I'm one of those who doesn't suggest counting Calories. That's not because it won't help weight reduction but it's not based on good science and is sub-optimal. As diabetics we are all glucose intolerant so keeping the carbs down is the main priority for both BS and weight reduction. If you then have enough fats, proteins, veg etc to keep you feeling full you don't need to worry about Calories at all. You can adjust the carbs to get the right level for BS and weight. Anyway, you are taking the right approach so keep at it and you will get there. BTW dairy is fine and make sure your statin dose is based on your various lipids (cholesterol) ratios from your blood tests and that the dose isn't higher than needed as some GPs treat statins like sweets.

Thanks so much.

The counting keeps me honest. I hope that one day that it won’t be needed.

Looking forward to seeing some progress on the BG!

CotswoldsBloke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and Welcome @CotswoldsBloke
Congratulations on the weight loss. Agree that getting a meter and monitoring is really important so you can monitor your progress and test how different foods impact your BG levels.

It takes a lot of drive to maintain such a low calorie/low carb diet so well done. I count calories and carbs and measure BG levels daily so that I can control my weightloss and BG and so that I don't fall off the wagon again. Keep us posted on your results.

I will muzza3. I find the counting helps me, too.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pipp,

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

I certainly will update the thread when I get my next set of measures and get hold of a meter.

Nick
Great. If you find a way that works for you, then keep at it. If you find you are floundering have a read round to see how other people manage.
Lots of success stories.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-success-stories.3763/page-37#post-2377788
The aim should be for long term, and your plan to lose weight then increase amounts of low carb foods is sound. Once you add in the regular blood glucose levels, and keep a record, at the very least on waking, just before meals, and 2 hours after, you will beable to track how individual foods are affecting your BG levels.

Reactions: CotswoldsBloke

CotswoldsBloke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I thought I’d update this thread as I’ve just had my results back from my first HBA1C test since diagnosis.

I was at 87 then but I’ve now dropped to 38! To say I’m happy is an understatement.

I started out determined to lose weight and used a low carb approach to that and started to walk every day. Half way through the 3 months, I decided to step it up to Keto with 20g of carbs or less and stop taking the Metformin (I really believed I could control it through diet)

5st 1lb loss and down to normal HBA1C.

I have another 5st to go and a lifetime of control ahead, but blimey I’m chuffed to bits.

Good luck to all on the same journey.

Nick

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a result! A great weight loss and a normal hba1c with no metformin. You have taken the bull by the horns. Very inspirational. Well done. Keep us posted on your journey.

Reactions: CotswoldsBloke

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great to read this, @CotswoldsBloke . As I mentioned earlier, I look forward to reading of your continued success. I still do. So please keep updating. So encouraging for others to read.
Well done!