NHS Digital Weight Management Programme

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone have any experience of this?
I ask because today I received a text to my mobile phone stating:-

“ Your GP has put you forward for the new Digital Weight Management Programme. That offers free, online access to weight management services for those who have a BMI greater than 30 and who also have diabetes or high blood pressure. The BMI threshold is 27.5 for people from Black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds. You will only be able to enter the programme if you have internet access. Text back Decline if you do not wish to be included.”
I try to keep an open mind, but the cynic in me is thinking this is a push to something like Weight Watchers or Slimming World. So just wondering if anyone has accepted the invitation and completed the programme, or even started it and stalled, and can tell me what it entails.
Thanks in anticipation.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think it has just been mentioned in the who made Britain fat channel 4 programme by Michael Moseley it’s a very dispiriting tv programme and he said that a pilot of the new just launched NHS digital weight loss programme was disappointing - presume it’s the same an app based programme. Be interesting to see just what level of support and what type of advice participants are given.

Reactions: Pipp

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
  • They will then be able to select their preferred programme from a choice of providers.
  • Step 3 – The chosen provider will contact the service user within 10 working days to start their programme.
Service users who do not initially respond to the text message will be contacted by phone by the Referral Management Centre to support them through the process.

Above taken from the patient information leaflet.
A quick bit of Google shows at least 2 suppliers, with the emphasis on lifestyle change and coaching rather than a specific diet

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think it has just been mentioned in the who made Britain fat channel 4 programme by Michael Moseley it’s a very dispiriting tv programme and he said that a pilot of the new just launched NHS digital weight loss programme was disappointing - presume it’s the same an app based programme. Be interesting to see just what level of support and what type of advice participants are given.
Thank you @shelley262 .
I do think Michael Moseley would disparage anything that would draw attention from his own attempts at cornering the market. (Did I mention my cynical nature?) ;) To be fair, though I haven’t seen the programme you mention, and will check it out.

There doesn’t seem to be much info available until you actually commit.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/digital-weight-management-patient-leaflet-a5.pdf

I
admit I am more than slightly peeved, that I have been ‘put forward’, without consulting me first. Particularly as I have not seen a GP for about 6 years, and a nurse last gave a telephone appointment almost a year ago. This was a locum, never seen before, and probably never again. Just wondering how they know my current BMI, BP, HbA1c? I don’t want to start another HCP bashing session. They are worn down and worn out, but it looks to me as if my GP surgery has no intention of actually having face to face appointments and wants to go down the digital tick box route.

I really hope some members have taken up the offer and can give me some insights. Tempted to accept the challenge, but not sure I have the patience for being treated as if I am in need of education in diet and exercise, and told to follow the ‘healthy carb, low fat, fruit and vegetable , directive.

(Sorry, a bit ranty).:rolleyes:

Reactions: Bludnok and pumas

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
  • They will then be able to select their preferred programme from a choice of providers.
  • Step 3 – The chosen provider will contact the service user within 10 working days to start their programme.
Service users who do not initially respond to the text message will be contacted by phone by the Referral Management Centre to support them through the process.

Above taken from the patient information leaflet.
A quick bit of Google shows at least 2 suppliers, with the emphasis on lifestyle change and coaching rather than a specific diet
Thanks, @MrsA2 , I have read that, but there is still no infomin the leaflet as to which agencies are providing the programmes. Also, there is that assumption that lifestyle change, and coaching is needed.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp even a pharmacy can refer someone they think might benefit, but unless that someone ticks all the boxes on the on line form they wouldn't be accepted to the next stage. So if a pharmacists mistakes a padded coat for obesity for example, or just goes by the medication they dispense, they could well be mis-referring...
And they might have referral targets to meet..
Not so personal after all

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think 2 of the companies are Liva and second nature.... but I could be wrong, only a quick Google so might be fake news!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really hope some members have taken up the offer and can give me some insights. Tempted to accept the challenge, but not sure I have the patience for being treated as if I am in need of education in diet and exercise, and told to follow the ‘healthy carb, low fat, fruit and vegetable , directive.
I've asked in a couple of other low carb forums for you :)

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You get 10 times better advice joining an active online forum like this rather than wasting your time on this.
I'd only attend @Pipp if you were giving the course

Reactions: MrsA2

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs

You could go, taking one for the team so to speak. Give a critique here (ranting if necessary) and be sure to tell the provider that low carb is keeping your bg levels OK. Tell them that you aren't willing to do anything that will raise those levels....
I dare you :):):)

(Edited to add, but not at the risk of your sanity, though. )

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dreading being offered this. If I am I will ask how sitting at a PC to do the programme will benefit me more than going out for my usual walk in any spare time I happen to have.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have any experience of this?
I ask because today I received a text to my mobile phone stating:-

“ Your GP has put you forward for the new Digital Weight Management Programme. That offers free, online access to weight management services for those who have a BMI greater than 30 and who also have diabetes or high blood pressure. The BMI threshold is 27.5 for people from Black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds. You will only be able to enter the programme if you have internet access. Text back Decline if you do not wish to be included.”
I try to keep an open mind, but the cynic in me is thinking this is a push to something like Weight Watchers or Slimming World. So just wondering if anyone has accepted the invitation and completed the programme, or even started it and stalled, and can tell me what it entails.
Thanks in anticipation.

Do you know which service it is? The Public Health Collaboration have a new service which has been taken up in some areas of the NHS (I am hoping to become one of those delivering it in due course). That is definitely advocating a real food, low carb approach. For someone who has been around the forum for any length of time, there would be little new in the content, but there may well be value in the peer support group it provides. That service is called The Lifestyle Club.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MrsA2 thank you.
I am aware that pharmacies can make referrals too. A concern for me is that the surgery did not discuss this with me first, and have passed on my contact details without my consent to providers. Confidentiality? Data protection? Had the surgery bothered to ask me I would have reminded them that I have managed my own obesity problem for over 10 years now, reducing BMI from 54, (no that is not a typo) to a still obese 36. I have completed DCUK Low Carb Programme, and that is how I live these days. Weight loss has plateaued, but mentally I am in a good place, physically too. Have an exercise regime that involves at least an hour and a half a day intense exercise. I really don’t feel I would benefit, though I am tempted to ‘take one for the team’ as @EllieM suggested. Though, I am hoping I will be spared by somebody coming forward to tell of their experience as a participant.:)

So far I also identified Liva as one of the providers of the training. I am sure any course lead by @Goonergal would be beneficial to anyone who hasn’t already heard of low carb way, but there does seem to be a mixed bag of options. The peer support element doesn’t appeal to me.

Had I been consulted on my individual needs, I would have asked for revenue to be invested in the local sport centre, which due to Government cuts to local authorities has had to reduce opening times, thus cutting the times available for me to ‘make sensible lifestyle choices’.

Reactions: pumas

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you know which service it is? The Public Health Collaboration have a new service which has been taken up in some areas of the NHS (I am hoping to become one of those delivering it in due course). That is definitely advocating a real food, low carb approach. For someone who has been around the forum for any length of time, there would be little new in the content, but there may well be value in the peer support group it provides. That service is called The Lifestyle Club.
A search of Lifestyle Club has offered all sorts of shopping alternatives, but can’t find anything relating to weight management. Can you provide further details please, @Goonergal.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A search of Lifestyle Club has offered all sorts of shopping alternatives, but can’t find anything relating to weight management. Can you provide further details please, @Goonergal.

Hi. Trying to source something for you. Can’t see anything on the PHC website so have asked in the Ambassadors group. At the moment people need to be referred by their GP. It’s an 8 week course via Zoom for 1.5 hours a week. It’s standard low carb/IF information. There may come a time when people can self refer. Will post any links/detail I get.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp , I imagine this will be a bit like the Desmond course for T2. It has a title, but the actual content, manner and experience differs depending on where the course is and the educators concerned.

I appreciate that doesn't help, nor does it address your query.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From the Keto Fitness Club fb group

"There are more than 1 provider"

"I was referred to it and chose the liva healthcare option throughout the 12 weeks they just said to eat more fruit and veg, smaller portions, low fat and eat complex carbohydrates I didn't lose any weight on it and didn't feel any better. i've been on keto now for 5 weeks and have lost 24lbs and feel alot healthier"

"I am on the course now with oviva .. first dietician was awful and didn't support my keto lifestyle... thankfully she left so i have a new dietitian now who supports me fully and has even sent emails with recipes etc to help ..."

Overall not as many responses as I would have expected as it is primarily a weight loss group, so not many people seem to have been offered it

Reactions: Moggy1968

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Husband received a text the other day which said:
"Sxxxxxx has a new free 12 week weight management programme offering support tailored to specific needs. To qualify you must be a Sxxxxxx resident. The programme starts with a 1:1 consultation and is a mixture of group support, education in health eating, sleep, exercise and wellbeing. If you are interested please text back YES and we will make a referral for you. Then there was a link to go through. I clicked on the link but it had expired.

OH is not diabetic and has ok blood pressure but he had his asthma review a couple of weeks ago when he mentioned he was trying to lose weight by eating less and exercising. His BMI is 29.

The text came via our GP surgery.