Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I met a person from NICE today who informed me that NICE are updating the Diabetes guideline . She wasn't sure if the advice re csrbs for type 2 diabetics would change but advised that I contact
Diabetes UK and ask them, I have
just done that.
There may be no strong academic studies which show that reducing carbohydrate levels improve blood glucose levels or testing for diet controlled patients improving them either, there are a wealth of patient stories on here though and I know that following this along with increasing my activity levels has helped me to take control of diabetes rather than the other way round.

What do you think?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Let's wait and see what the new guidelines are. Sounds very interesting though.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Found at least one and there are more -http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/07853890.2014.894286

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Let's wait and see what the new guidelines are. Sounds very interesting though.

I don't think we can wait. I think we need to ask the people at diabetes uk to consider our feelings when commenting on the draft revised guidelines

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Ah I see Bluetit1802 . Surely they can't ignore everyone on here.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I met a person from NICE today who informed me that NICE are updating the Diabetes guideline . She wasn't sure if the advice re csrbs for type 2 diabetics would change but advised that I contact
Diabetes UK and ask them, I have
just done that.
There may be no strong academic studies which show that reducing carbohydrate levels improve blood glucose levels or testing for diet controlled patients improving them either, there are a wealth of patient stories on here though and I know that following this along with increasing my activity levels has helped me to take control of diabetes rather than the other way round.

What do you think?

DUK responded recently to a debate that took place at one of their conferences, the Dr at the start of the article is Southport GP ( a member on this forum):

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/Carbohydrates-and-diabetes-debate/

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I do have to have some carbs, but, because of my condition there are some which are as bad as poison to me.
What the second doctor fails to understand is the adverse effects of not getting the balance right. She is also stuck in the mantra of T2 is diet controlled, many diabetics have to be on medication as well as diet. I believe there is no correct 'plan' for everybody as we all have our differences in our diagnosis. To say that, for some, not to have no carbs, is condescending as the reason for not knowing what long term affects will do. There is plenty of evidence that that is not the case.
I would like her to study how reactive hypoglycaemia figures in her carbohydrates argument!
We will only find out when the education of diabetics is for our benefit and not what fits an ideology! And is not political doctrine.
We need our so called experts to have a more open mind!

Hate to have an opinion that's so serious!

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
nosher8355 I agree with you. Its such an individual condition because we are all individuals.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have asked my dietician and my consultant to individualise my treatment and diet. The experience of finding that I am different to other diabetics has made me open minded and what food suits all of us. Dairy products make me vomit. Cooked greens won't go in my mouth because of my taste. This limits my intake. I am practically living on meat and salad, eggs etc. you see my problem!
The constant mind blowing occupation of what to eat is a huge part of my every day life. I am experimenting on how many meals I can have a day, portion sizes, how much fruit, you see what I mean. I gonna do it, I have my resolve and determination to get there. If anybody knows where that is, let me know!
I can' t seem to post a short reply!

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Have you seen the 4 questions for diabetics thread? If you answer honestly the research might make a difference in the future.