Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hello Everyone,

I hope I am in the right place.

I might have been having night time lows. They have started happening after I split my Lantus dose and have been taking 22 units just before bedtime. I have been waking up with heavy sweating and a racing heart and a general feeling of dread. At first I put it down to my age but after doing a tiny bit of reading I see that it may also possibly be a symptom of a night time low.

Does anyone get similar? My blood sugar is at a sensible (for me) level by the time I get up in the morning.

Suggestions please.

P

D

Deleted Account

My advice would be to first confirm the symptoms you are experiencing are a hypo.
This can only be done with taking a BG reading when you wake feeling so horrible or to set an alarm to wake you and check.
Until then, you are guessing what the problem is.

If you confirm the problem is a hypo, you need to understand what is happening to your BG during the night.
Unfortunately, our BG does not remain stable throughout the night even if we have the wight amount of long acting insulin. This is because things like Dawn Phenomenon may affect your BG at the start of the day.
My guess (and this is only a guess which needs to be confirmed before you treat it) is you are going low during the night and then experiencing DP which is raising your BG to a sensible level by the time you get up.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Providence 62 , Could you tell us what the split in your Lantus was? 22 units ? when in the evening and ? units at ? time in the morning?
Also do you take short-acting insulin also If so what insulin what doses and when??
And to follow @helensaramay 's suggestion any BSLs measures around the time of your night-time symptoms?

Reactions: SimonCrox

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree with @helensaramay - you need to take a meter reading when you have these symptoms to confirm what your levels are saying @Providence 62 - can you advise if you did ?

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could be hypoing most of the night without knowing, with dawn phenomena brininging it up before waking or liver dump. Racing heart and sweats most definitely sounds like a hypo during the night. As asked above what are your splits, timings etc as 22 units on a night split seems like quite a bit.

Reactions: Providence 62

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You may have to grit your teeth and set an alarm to do some night time tests. Alternatively, if you can get access to a cgm (eg libre), you could find out what's happening at night slightly less painfully. You could try asking your diabetic doctor/nurse/clinic if they'll lend you one....

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Thank you everyone for all your brilliant advice. I am going to try taking my levels tonight, even if I don't get the sweats and racing heart, etc. When I have done that I will report back.

I have to admit it did leave me a bit shaken!

It's only started happening since I split the dose. That being said I will check it out.

Thanks again,

P

Last edited:

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Update - no sweating or racing heart last night, but I woke up at 3am to test my blood. It was 4.0 which is unheard of for me (at least during the daytime hours, nightime, I don't know). Going to have a chat with my DSN today to see what she advises. Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks for all your advice yesterday, I was a very worried lady.

P

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Spoke to the DSN, she has asked me to take a reading if it happens again, but it certainly sounded like a hypo. I have reduced my bedtime dose and am keeping my meter on the bedside cabinet just in case. So far no repetitions. Advised to keep a few jelly babies in my bag just in case.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Good morning everyone,

Woke up at 3.30am with the same sweating, racing heart, etc etc. Grabbed my test kit. 3.5. Was feeling very uncomfortable indeed, so pushed off downstairs and made myself a slice of bread and jam. The sweats and shakes passed quickly and I went back to bed. Tested after an hour. 4.8. Fell fast asleep and I was 7.6 on waking. Looking at all my details and what I ate yesterday. Looks as though I took my Lantus too late.

Going to take it after dinner tonight (about 8pm) and see how it goes from there. Will track it before I go to bed.

P

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Providence 62 checking your ok today ? Keep glucose next to your bed and if you get a repeat speak to your Dsn and get your lantus adjusted.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hello @Juicyj

I am fine. It was good to confirm that the shakes and sweats were a hypo (though it was not a pleasant experience). I will get on to my DSN this morning to chat to her about it. I am off to the shops now so will pick up some glucose tabs. Jam does the job, but it is far too tempting sitting there in the cupboard when I am not having hypos! I shall leave that to Mr P.

P

Reactions: Juicyj

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hello @Juicyj

I am fine. It was good to confirm that the shakes and sweats were a hypo (though it was not a pleasant experience). I will get on to my DSN this morning to chat to her about it. I am off to the shops now so will pick up some glucose tabs. Jam does the job, but it is far too tempting sitting there in the cupboard when I am not having hypos! I shall leave that to Mr P.

P

Make sure your partner is aware of your hypo issues - mine has rescued me from several night time hypos in the past. If you go too low before waking you may not be in a condition to help yourself to the glucose tablets by the bed. Good luck, hopefully you'll get your lantus adjusted correctly so that the hypos will become a thing of the past.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Make sure your partner is aware of your hypo issues - mine has rescued me from several night time hypos in the past. If you go too low before waking you may not be in a condition to help yourself to the glucose tablets by the bed. Good luck, hopefully you'll get your lantus adjusted correctly so that the hypos will become a thing of the past.
Thanks @EllieM . I think that Mr P will have to learn the hypo drill. DSN offered him some gel to use in emergencies. He is a bit wary, but I am sure he will learn.

P

Reactions: EllieM