Night time lows

Emerson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice, I've been using the Libre 2 monitor for the past two days and overnight my bg is low, staying at 3 all night. I would like to know what I can do about it? All advice online says keep sugary drinks or carbohydrates by your bed (I have been following a keto diet for a month so I don't believe this would help).

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice, I've been using the Libre 2 monitor for the past two days and overnight my bg is low, staying at 3 all night. I would like to know what I can do about it? All advice online says keep sugary drinks or carbohydrates by your bed (I have been following a keto diet for a month so I don't believe this would help).

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.
Have you double checked with a fingerprick?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I have heard that and seen posts that the reason for night time readings are low is caused by compression on the sensor.
Instead of the sweets or drinks (not a good idea!) Have you got a finger prick monitor to verify the readings?

One of things I quickly learned was not to eat four hours before bed, then any symptoms would show, before you slept. Usually for me, overnight was the time my body would have the no food opportunity to be in normal levels for the longest period possible, which in turn would also give you a break from food in the morning as part of intermittent fasting.

If you weren't aware having RH means that you are able to fast for long periods.

Best wishes.

Emerson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the responses. It is so good to have this forum for questions. I think I'd be going mad without knowing there are others like me out there!
I did a finger prick several times to confirm readings however they are very different. At 3am Libre read 3.5 but finger prick was 5.6. Another earlier in the evening was similar with Libre at 3.4 and finger at 4.4.
Could it be that the Libre is faulty?
Best wishes

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is common knowledge that those low readings are known to happen with these cgm's. And no it's not faulty.
Thanks for the responses. It is so good to have this forum for questions. I think I'd be going mad without knowing there are others like me out there!
I did a finger prick several times to confirm readings however they are very different. At 3am Libre read 3.5 but finger prick was 5.6. Another earlier in the evening was similar with Libre at 3.4 and finger at 4.4.
Best wishes
Glad I could help!
Keep asking!
Best wishes

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Compression lows are a known thing with teh Libre, basically if you lie on it whilst asleep it may well read lower than it is
Also they do state that if it shows less than 5 you should double-check with a blood test as they're not that accurate at lower levels

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Compression lows are known with ALL CGMs. Let's not blame the poor old Libre for physics
The way to stop them is don't apply pressure to them. This may mean adjusting the way you sleep but I found it easier to change where I place my sensors.

Reactions: ianf0ster

Diablo T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just started using the Libre recently and also was surprised to see the overnight results showing lots of visits to the low 3's. I'd never measured my BG overnight but assumed it would be in the range I normally experience during the day 4.5-7.0. Being an unmedicated type 2 I don't get hypos so it was a bit of a quandry as to what might be happening. The compression lows mentioned above does seem very likely to be the explanation - thank you!

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
This info is really interesting. I am using a Freestyle Libre for two weeks for a quick check up on my RH and am regularly falling into the low 3’s during sleep? I have emailed them to ask if it is faulty. First thing this morning I woke up and tested at 3. 15 minutes later I was was 7.1!?
Yesterday according to the sensor I spent most of the morning in the low to mid 3’s? I called into my GP and saw a nurse 20 minutes later and tested with a finger prick at 5.4. Symptoms were however definitely a hypo so I am glad I was near the GP surgery at the time. I had had a coffee with a friend and asked for a decaf - I suspect I was served the wrong coffee. The duty Doctor said that Freestyle Libre sensors had a habit of playing catch up ie they were regularly in a time lapse?

Reactions: Lamont D

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The duty Doctor said that Freestyle Libre sensors had a habit of playing catch up ie they were regularly in a time lapse?
No no no no no. I wish people would not confuse the way interstitial fluid works with the way CGMS report.
CGMs read interstitial fluid not blood. Interstitial fluid runs about 15 minutes behind blood glucose readings. Libre is aware of this so will “predict” the current reading by extrapolating the current trend.
Most if the time this is fine. Unless, the trend changes in the last 15 minutes such as when treating a hypo when Libre will take longer to show recovery from a hypo.
This is why it is always recommended to test lows and hypo recovery.
If you use the search feature at the top of every page, you will find many posts that describe the limitations of CGMs. If you do not understand these limitations you will get frustrated and mislead by your Libre. This includes things like compression lows and the “prediction function” and more.

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. In addition to the hypo symptoms, the constant red zone readings definitely made me more stressed.

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
What about getting a glucose meter so you can test with a fingerprick?
You read my mind! I am looking at which one might be best for me today. I haven't used one for a while but they are a great and accurate back up. If you are happy to recommend one that would be good to know. My RH has been under really good control lately but yesterday was a huge blip!

Reactions: Antje77

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
While waiting for Rachox to confirm, the 2 decent quality meters with cheap(er) test strips most recommended on both this and the 'blue forum' are:
SD Gluco Navii and the Spirit Tee2+

Like Rachox I have no association with either company except as a customer for the Spirit Tee2+ which has given me no problems over the 4yrsthat I have been using it.

Reactions: Rachox and Antje77

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much. There are quite a few to choose from!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you. In addition to the hypo symptoms, the constant red zone readings definitely made me more stressed.
With RH you are well aware that anything can trigger the symptoms without actually going hypo, the spike symptoms can be similar to a hypo. Saying that, that is why I will always use a glucometer, when I see or feel a symptom that may or not be a hypo! It's great that you are in control, so well done with that. And with this back up, your anxiety levels will be reassured.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

Links to the strips for future orders:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + which is quite popular:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

The strips are to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have heard that and seen posts that the reason for night time readings are low is caused by compression on the sensor.
Instead of the sweets or drinks (not a good idea!) Have you got a finger prick monitor to verify the readings?

One of things I quickly learned was not to eat four hours before bed, then any symptoms would show, before you slept. Usually for me, overnight was the time my body would have the no food opportunity to be in normal levels for the longest period possible, which in turn would also give you a break from food in the morning as part of intermittent fasting.

If you weren't aware having RH means that you are able to fast for long periods.

Best wishes.

I am not sure about fasting- I am a chronic RH and I can't fast.