No improvement

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All

I have had no improvements from my blood sugars levels. They're still high it's usually high in the morning and after meals itll go up 8 or 9 points & itll stay like this till my evening meal my libre is showing me I'm staying in high throughout the night. I haven't been able to sleep lately and I'm not sure whether its due to my blood sugars levels being high. I'm going to try get all my vitamins checked and see if I have any deficiency I'm not sure anymore, theres people who told me to eat high carbs and get rid of fat and this person is durianrider and a bunch of people told me the Same thing but I know how high my blood sugars get eating fruit or carbohydrates starches. They told me the fat I'm eating is causing my insulin resistance I don't know what to think anymore I will need to get this sorted

This is the link that durianrider girlfriend gave me and they're all telling me to go high carb I'm not buying it but the video is shocking.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think if you try and cure T2 with sugar, it'll make it a lot lot lot worse.
And suggesting that more sugar will make my insulin for my T1 work better is complete load of (insert swear words here).

Anyways I think that video is mostly for promoting the plant based diet (in a not quite so obvious way) rather than anything useful, I'd ignore said video

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think if you try and cure T2 with sugar, it'll make it a lot lot lot worse.
And suggesting that more sugar will make my insulin for my T1 work better is complete load of (insert swear words here).

Anyways I think that video is mostly for promoting the plant based diet (in a not quite so obvious way) rather than anything useful, I'd ignore said video

He basically said HIGH CARBS will cure my diabetes and that fat from the animals causes insulin resistance and then his girlfriend gave me that link to the video. Also another person told me to watch this

I haven't watched it all but I'm not buying what they say, he eats lots of fruits and puts sugar into his cereal and then tells others to follow his lifestyle and get lean. I think if I put sugar onto my cereal I would have a heart attack.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have had no improvements from my blood sugars levels. They're still high it's usually high in the morning and after meals itll go up 8 or 9 points & itll stay like this till my evening meal my libre is showing me I'm staying in high throughout the night.

Most of the many T2s posting on these forums control their diabetes by reducing their carbs. It seems fairly well agreed that T2 is a metabolic syndrome involving insulin resistance and an inability to process carbs. The medication route involves increasing the insulin naturally produced by the body until the pancreas maxes out its insulin production and injections of large quantities of insulin are required. (And I'm talking many multiples of the quantities of a T1 such as myself, whose problem is lack of insulin).

So, if your levels are going and staying high I would suggest one of the following
1) contact your GP and get increased medication to cover your carb needs - be aware that the end result will probably be insulin injections
2) try reducing your carb intake and see what happens to your levels
3) if your levels don''t go down with the carbs then get tested for T1/LADA - a small but significant number of T1s spend a few years misdiagnosed as T2 because many GPs are ignorant and think that T1 only occurs in children.

Good luck.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He basically said HIGH CARBS will cure my diabetes and that fat from the animals causes insulin resistance and then his girlfriend gave me that link to the video. Also another person told me to watch this

I haven't watched it all but I'm not buying what they say, he eats lots of fruits and puts sugar into his cereal and then tells others to follow his lifestyle and get lean. I think if I put sugar onto my cereal I would have a heart attack.

@UsmanMo96 - If you eat lots of carbs and it makes your blood sugar rise a lot, why would that seem a good idea?

I'm sorry, but the time here when you need ti decide which route you will take and stick with it.

My suggestion would be to stick with low carb, and if your body needs help with medication, or additional medication, then sometimes we have to accept that.

I don't take medication for my T2, but I do for my thyroid. I detest taking medication and every time I top up my pill box, I'm cursing under my breath, but feeling better, and having better bloods, supporting better health feels more important.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: UsmanMo96

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All

I have had no improvements from my blood sugars levels. They're still high it's usually high in the morning and after meals itll go up 8 or 9 points & itll stay like this till my evening meal my libre is showing me I'm staying in high throughout the night. I haven't been able to sleep lately and I'm not sure whether its due to my blood sugars levels being high. I'm going to try get all my vitamins checked and see if I have any deficiency I'm not sure anymore, theres people who told me to eat high carbs and get rid of fat and this person is durianrider and a bunch of people told me the Same thing but I know how high my blood sugars get eating fruit or carbohydrates starches. They told me the fat I'm eating is causing my insulin resistance I don't know what to think anymore I will need to get this sorted

This is the link that durianrider girlfriend gave me and they're all telling me to go high carb I'm not buying it but the video is shocking.
...because throwing petrol on a fire is such a good idea... *sigh*. It's low carb, high fat, that works. Any idiot can make a video, that doesn't mean anything. I can make a video about how the earth is flat, that doesn't make it so.

Please start taking proper care of yourself and listen to your meter. If it's telling you you're eating straight up poison, pay attention to it!

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most of the many T2s posting on these forums control their diabetes by reducing their carbs. It seems fairly well agreed that T2 is a metabolic syndrome involving insulin resistance and an inability to process carbs. The medication route involves increasing the insulin naturally produced by the body until the pancreas maxes out its insulin production and injections of large quantities of insulin are required. (And I'm talking many multiples of the quantities of a T1 such as myself, whose problem is lack of insulin).

So, if your levels are going and staying high I would suggest one of the following
1) contact your GP and get increased medication to cover your carb needs - be aware that the end result will probably be insulin injections
2) try reducing your carb intake and see what happens to your levels
3) if your levels don''t go down with the carbs then get tested for T1/LADA - a small but significant number of T1s spend a few years misdiagnosed as T2 because many GPs are ignorant and think that T1 only occurs in children.

Good luck.

I am on metformin 500mgx4 sitagliptin 10mg and gliclazide 80mgx2 and novorapid 15 units x2 a day and lantus once a day 21 units. 3 years ago metformin was the only medication and now I use all of these listed. I know carbohydrates are the reason my blood sugars are high but when I cut out carbohydrates and eat meat its still high, will probably need to get my vitamins and minerals checked to see if I have any deficiency. I appreciate your message

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on metformin 500mgx4 sitagliptin 10mg and gliclazide 80mgx2 and novorapid 15 units x2 a day and lantus once a day 21 units. 3 years ago metformin was the only medication and now I use all of these listed. I know carbohydrates are the reason my blood sugars are high but when I cut out carbohydrates and eat meat its still high, will probably need to get my vitamins and minerals checked to see if I have any deficiency. I appreciate your message
If you remain high even with a low carb regime, don't ask for vits and minerals, ask for a C-peptide test and a GAD test. You wouldn't be the first person misdiagnosed with T2 when they're really T1.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I know carbohydrates are the reason my blood sugars are high but when I cut out carbohydrates and eat meat its still high, will probably need to get my vitamins and minerals checked to see if I have any deficiency. I appreciate your message

Not sure how relevant vitamin deficiencies are (thyroid issues are common in diabetics). If low carb isn't working I'd get your c-peptide checked and find out how much insulin you are still producing.....

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just a thought, can you describe your diet when you are going low carb? Also, are you taking steroids for anything?

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure how relevant vitamin deficiencies are (thyroid issues are common in diabetics). If low carb isn't working I'd get your c-peptide checked and find out how much insulin you are still producing.....

I have had c-peptide test, results came back and my dr told me that the results indicate type 2.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a thought, can you describe your diet when you are going low carb? Also, are you taking steroids for anything?
Only medication I'm taking are the 1s I listed,
My plate is usually full with veggies some starches and meat my dietician told me to have my plate full with protein fats and carbs, but I don't eat very much I've been using small plates too. Instead of big plates

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

They are both Type 1's and vegans so....

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My plate is usually full with veggies some starches and meat my dietician told me to have my plate full with protein fats and carbs, but I don't eat very much I've been using small plates too. Instead of big plates

Look, the severe T2s on here have to go very low carb to avoid medication, (less than 20g a day) but a lot get improvement by just reducing their carbs and avoiding stuff like bread, pasta, potatoes, fruit (except berries), rice...

If you are prepared to note down everything you eat in a day (ideally with weights) the T2s here will be able to tell you how many carbs you are actually eating and recommend alternatives. There are a lot of things with hidden carbs that it's easy to overlook. Dieticians still tend to be obsessed by the now discredited 1970s studies that demonised fat and praised carbs - carbs are just not a T2's friend.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
They are both Type 1's and vegans so....

Nothing wrong with being vegan but it's hard work if you are also T2....(There is a vegetarian/vegan low carb forum here).
But I agree that T1s have a lot more freedom with their carbs. Unfortunately my dad is T2 and I definitely have some insulin resistance, so I am a T1 who has to watch her carbs more than most.... (Sigh, but I can take a big dose of insulin if I really want to.)

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look, the severe T2s on here have to go very low carb to avoid medication, (less than 20g a day) but a lot get improvement by just reducing their carbs and avoiding stuff like bread, pasta, potatoes, fruit (except berries), rice...

If you are prepared to note down everything you eat in a day (ideally with weights) the T2s here will be able to tell you how many carbs you are actually eating and recommend alternatives. There are a lot of things with hidden carbs that it's easy to overlook. Dieticians still tend to be obsessed by the now discredited 1970s studies that demonised fat and praised carbs - carbs are just not a T2's friend.

Should I start weighing my food on a scale?
I will start taking pictures of my meals too.
I eat twice a day. So itll be easy to weigh out my food and tell everyone.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two things: Not all tests are 100% conclusive. If you had a C-pep done but not a GAD, get them both done again. Late onset T1 has a honeymoon period where you still produce some insulin, it just tapers off after a while. So getting re-tested would be a good thing. And cut the carbs drastically. You mention still having carbs with your meals... Ditch them if you can (though with your regime of meds... Careful for hypo's!).

All in all though, do not just let this go. You can and should be doing better. You have a right to better health, fight for it.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two things: Not all tests are 100% conclusive. If you had a C-pep done but not a GAD, get them both done again. Late onset T1 has a honeymoon period where you still produce some insulin, it just tapers off after a while. So getting re-tested would be a good thing. And cut the carbs drastically. You mention still having carbs with your meals... Ditch them if you can (though with your regime of meds... Careful for hypo's!).

All in all though, do not just let this go. You can and should be doing better. You have a right to better health, fight for it.

My gp told me only the diabetes team can arrange those tests so I will call my DN and ask for that to be arranged, I'm not sure they will allow me to get It done again but I'll ask and the GAD test I believe I have had it done before in 2014 and it was negative.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My gp told me only the diabetes team can arrange those tests so I will call my DN and ask for that to be arranged, I'm not sure they will allow me to get It done again but I'll ask and the GAD test I believe I have had it done before in 2014 and it was negative.
Things change. Hopefully they'll sort something out.