North west India

broads

We are going on a fortnights cruise on the Lower Ganges and Brahmaputra river in January. It is a very well organised itinerary on a beautiful, immaculate boat carrying about 40 passengers. We are completely ignorant about Indian food. What I would like to ask is, does anyone know if Indian food is full of carbs. or not. Any advice would be very much appreciated. I am type 2 by the way and try to follow a lowish carb diet.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you’re ‘lowish carb’ you may get away with avoiding all the obvious carbs, such as naan breads, rice and poppadoms. The snag with the main meat (or vegetarian) dishes are whether they add sugar. It may be worth speaking to the chef to establish ingredients or if they could cook you sugar free versions.

Reactions: Omar51

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depending on how lowish you wish to eat over there: besides the above mentioned foods, legumes are used in many dishes like dahls, often mixed with veggies and yummie sauces. They will also - slowly but surely - rise bloodsugars. Enjoy your journey!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The things that have carbs here will still have carbs there - so breads, rice, peas/beans/lentils, root veg, fruit etc. Normally you are able to rely on most meat being safe - but depending on which style of Indian cuisine it is, there could be marinades with sugar/honey etc. Try and test?

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my limited experience of visiting India (two weeks' work in Delhi ~15 years ago) I found the food was very tasty and rich (in terms of spices and flavour), so filling up on carbs was never a thing I needed/wanted to do.

I was there for work and the recommendation was to avoid meat, which I did and it was perfectly fine, the vegetarian food was wonderful and I never missed meat (and I'm not a vegetarian at home!)

I also avoided all of the things which one is warned about - anything that has been washed but not cooked (salads, etc), drinks that are not sealed, etc.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you’re ‘lowish carb’ you may get away with avoiding all the obvious carbs, such as naan breads, rice and poppadoms. The snag with the main meat (or vegetarian) dishes are whether they add sugar. It may be worth speaking to the chef to establish ingredients or if they could cook you sugar free versions.

Obviously Nan, rice and poppadom are full of carbs. I have not eaten that kind of food for over 12 years. I found an alternative and I am happy.

broads

Many thanks for all the replies. Omar 51. What do tou find is a good alternative to rice? I have geated cauliflower frequently but get fed up of it.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for all the replies. Omar 51. What do tou find is a good alternative to rice? I have geated cauliflower frequently but get fed up of it.
I simply don't replace it with anything.
I've just had a home cooked curry tonight, that had quite a runny sauce. I ate it with a spoon and green beans. Very tasty

Reactions: Omar51