derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hi all,

Not been on that much over the past few days. New Year? Well, I missed that one. Some of you may remember that I was getting dry cracked lips and sore cracked hands, and could not face meat, cheese or cream. Well, I went down with a humdinger of a badly infected throat and Bronchitis, so I have been layed up in bed since just after Christmas with a high fever also. My husband is no cook, in fact hopeless, so I just had food wise what was to hand. Cupa soup, pkt mini cheddars, but the main one was when I went to the doctors he gave me Codeine Linctus and Penicillin. My BG went up to 10.4. I thought " I have only had a cupa soup, pkt mini cheddars how can it be so high?" Then I realised it was the Codeine linctus, full of sugar. Oh, I had a couple of bowls of vanilla ice cream to soothe my throat as it felt as if it was on fire.I am used to seeing numbers of 5.3 to 5.6ish. Well now I know that I was not getting tired of meat,buttercream etc,it was because I was ill. Cannot wait to get my diet back again. Now I am craving my meat and cream, butter lol

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear, get well soon.
The thought of a nice juicy steak should get you up and about in no time.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had steak and mushrooms for dinner last night - very fortifying.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BG went up to 10.4. I thought " I have only had a cupa soup, pkt mini cheddars how can it be so high?" Then I realised it was the Codeine linctus, full of sugar.
Since I have been diabetes-aware I am SO fed up with the way almost all medicaments come automatically stuffed with sugar. Not to mention e-numbers / colouring. SO unnecessary. Unacceptable for us, but also for those trying to to over-come a sugar addiction and / or lose weight. Not to mention concerned abut inflammation.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I never get anything from my gp with sugar in. He knows how insulin resistant I am and I'd have to take more insulin to process any sugarly syrups. He always gives me cough medicine which is high blood pressure friendly too. I must have a gem!
Next time ask your gp for the same? He is fully aware of diabetic alternatives as are the chemists.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi all,

Not been on that much over the past few days. New Year? Well, I missed that one. Some of you may remember that I was getting dry cracked lips and sore cracked hands, and could not face meat, cheese or cream. Well, I went down with a humdinger of a badly infected throat and Bronchitis, so I have been layed up in bed since just after Christmas with a high fever also. My husband is no cook, in fact hopeless, so I just had food wise what was to hand. Cupa soup, pkt mini cheddars, but the main one was when I went to the doctors he gave me Codeine Linctus and Penicillin. My BG went up to 10.4. I thought " I have only had a cupa soup, pkt mini cheddars how can it be so high?" Then I realised it was the Codeine linctus, full of sugar. Oh, I had a couple of bowls of vanilla ice cream to soothe my throat as it felt as if it was on fire.I am used to seeing numbers of 5.3 to 5.6ish. Well now I know that I was not getting tired of meat,buttercream etc,it was because I was ill. Cannot wait to get my diet back again. Now I am craving my meat and cream, butter lol
Hope something has worked and you're feeling a bit better. It's a bummer being sick. Healthy hug coming your way

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never get anything from my gp with sugar in. He knows how insulin resistant I am and I'd have to take more insulin to process any sugarly syrups. He always gives me cough medicine which is high blood pressure friendly too. I must have a gem!
Next time ask your gp for the same? He is fully aware of diabetic alternatives as are the chemists.
Most of the pills I am obliged to take contain lactose ie sugar and as far as I know they are not offered in any alternative version. This includes the diuretics Furosemide, Amiloride and Frumil. (Frumil also contains the sinister sounding "sunset yellow"). The anti-coagulant Apixaban also contains lactose. Dabigatran is currently the only lactose-free anti-coagulant. Rennies come either with sugar or with sorbitol, which is a sugar alcohol and not carb free.