Not having a very good experience with the freestyle libre :(

Rickster55446

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there :)
I have been lucky enough to be given a trial of the freestyle libre which started just over two weeks ago. However I seem to be getting the 'sensor error glucose reading unavailable try again in 10 mins' far too often! My first sensor was brilliant for 7 days and really helped me to get my levels on track. Unfortunately after 7 days I was getting the above error every time I scanned so I rang Abbott who sent a replacement sensor. I'm now 2 days into the replacement sensor and I have started to get the error again maybe 2 out of 5 scans and sometimes I cant get a reading for over an hour. Also I have gaps in my daily graphs.

This is really frustrating as I don't feel I'm not getting the most out of this device and just wondered if anyone else has the same problem?

Am I doing something wrong maybe? I apply the sensor exactly as the rep from Abbott showed me.

I will be calling Abbott again in the morning to discuss this with them and I'm sure they will send me another replacement but 2 out of 2 faulty sensors is not really motivating me to continue using this especially when I have to start paying £50 a sensor :( Also the replacements are taking 5-7 days to arrive because for some reason they are coming from France

Thanks in advance for your replies
Rick

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I am tagging @Cumberland for you because I know he is a fan of the freestyle libre. I personally have no experience with it.

Reactions: Energize

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first started using the libre I had 4 failures in a row for various reasons: they were all swapped out without a problem.

Since then, I've not had a single problem but still make sure I always have a spare on hand in case of problems as they do take a long time to deliver new ones

It is annoying when they don't work right, but Abbott are very good about replacing faulty ones and the benefits far outweigh the negatives for me

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on my third sensor and luckily they've problems worked well I've had when scanning have been when lying on them and when I'm dehydrated apparently as it reads interstitial glucose glucose being hydrated is import ant. Good luck I've found it really helpful

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Rickster55446 It's possible that your body just doesn't get on with the sensing technology. Unfortunately, this can happen. See what happens when the sensor is replaced again.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Rickster55446 It's possible that your body just doesn't get on with the sensing technology. Unfortunately, this can happen. See what happens when the sensor is replaced again.

Is there any evidence about what might cause that - the body not getting on?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Is there any evidence about what might cause that - the body not getting on?
I've not seen anything, although I've seen reports of people struggling to get any use out of various CGM equipment as it constantly has sensor issues.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've not seen anything, although I've seen reports of people struggling to get any use out of various CGM equipment as it constantly has sensor issues.

Thanks, Tim. I was pessimistically wondering if my body would be one of those that 'doesn't get on' as I hope to have a Libre as a Xmas present (yes, I know that's beyond sad!)

I wondered if it was due to fat distribution or lack of fat or similar.

Reactions: Energize and Juicyj

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rickster55446 - I can't see what error you are getting, so can't comment on that specifically, so forgive me.

I have had a proportion of Libre sensors perform sub-optimally myself, so I do empathise with your frustration. I have found, though, that applying the sensor then delaying starting it for 24-48 makes a difference to me. My conclusion is my body gets a bit huffy when the sensor is applied, and tries to reject the filament; like it would do a splinter or the like. After that 24-48 hours, it seems to accept the "foreign body" better and gets with the programme. My HCP calls my body a "super healer" in that I usually heal quickly and when I have had foreign bodies (the last was a shard of ceramic embedded in my heel - you don't want to try it!), the site gets pretty inflamed, but before long, the item is working it's way to the surface, for liberation. :)

For some time I wondered if the sensors didn't work so well with low subcutaneous body fat, but it that were the case, they'd perform poorly on children, which I don't believe to be the case.

Have you tried delaying starting the sensor at all?

Apologies if this is way off-beam from your issue, but as I say, I can't see exactly what that is from your posts.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, Tim. I was pessimistically wondering if my body would be one of those that 'doesn't get on' as I hope to have a Libre as a Xmas present (yes, I know that's beyond sad!)

I wondered if it was due to fat distribution or lack of fat or similar.

I wondered about that too, but discounted in the basis that many, many children appear to use the device with good outcomes.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wondered about that too, but discounted in the basis that many, many children appear to use the device with good outcomes.

Yes, that's what I think to,convince myself it's worth a try. That or magically become less wiry : D

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems we have to take the Libre warts and all, and it's pretty warty. However, when it works it's really useful: for example I would never have found without it that my BS sinks below 4 mmol/L at night. Or that the best way of keeping my BS below 5.5 is to eat nothing all day. (Not much fun though.)
My current Libre sensor is reading 25-30% higher than my Codefree after a week of use, and has promoted me from prediabetic to a projected HbA1C of 60! It has self-tested OK, so I've asked Abbott for advice. I do suggest anyone trying it for the first time should finger-prick test as well with a separate meter.

Reactions: azure

Rickster55446

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Rickster55446 - I can't see what error you are getting, so can't comment on that specifically, so forgive me.

I have had a proportion of Libre sensors perform sub-optimally myself, so I do empathise with your frustration. I have found, though, that applying the sensor then delaying starting it for 24-48 makes a difference to me. My conclusion is my body gets a bit huffy when the sensor is applied, and tries to reject the filament; like it would do a splinter or the like. After that 24-48 hours, it seems to accept the "foreign body" better and gets with the programme. My HCP calls my body a "super healer" in that I usually heal quickly and when I have had foreign bodies (the last was a shard of ceramic embedded in my heel - you don't want to try it!), the site gets pretty inflamed, but before long, the item is working it's way to the surface, for liberation. :)

For some time I wondered if the sensors didn't work so well with low subcutaneous body fat, but it that were the case, they'd perform poorly on children, which I don't believe to be the case.

Have you tried delaying starting the sensor at all?

Apologies if this is way off-beam from your issue, but as I say, I can't see exactly what that is from your posts.

Hi people :)
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, I really do appreciate it!

I have a spare sensor which I paid for so that I would always one handy. I will definitely try applying it 24/48 hours prior to activation and see if this helps the sensor settle :)

When I applied my last sensor I experienced a small amount of discomfort for the first 2days and sometimes I would get a shooting kind of pain down my arm for only a split second, I just put this down to the fact that the sensor does penetrate the skin but now I'm starting to think it is my body rejecting it :(

Anyway, every scan I have done so far today has been fine and I check occasionally with my old meter to compare results (I am aware the two devices are testing different fluids) my libre was 7.8 and my aviva expert 7.9 so more than happy with the accuracy:)

I do get dehydrated quite often as well so will try to drink plenty of water and see if that helps any.

Again, thanks for the replies and I really hope this works out for me as I'm a very private diabetic (silly I know) and this device I thought would really help me.

I'll soldier on anyway and keep you posted on how it goes with all my fingers crossed

Reactions: azure

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When I applied my last sensor I experienced a small amount of discomfort for the first 2days and sometimes I would get a shooting kind of pain down my arm for only a split second, I just put this down to the fact that the sensor does penetrate the skin but now I'm starting to think it is my body rejecting it :(
This is usually for one of two reasons. Either the sensor filament has just entered muscle, or you've caught a nerve in the application. Either way, many of us have experienced it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi people :)
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, I really do appreciate it!

I have a spare sensor which I paid for so that I would always one handy. I will definitely try applying it 24/48 hours prior to activation and see if this helps the sensor settle :)

Anyway, every scan I have done so far today has been fine and I check occasionally with my old meter to compare results (I am aware the two devices are testing different fluids) my libre was 7.8 and my aviva expert 7.9 so more than happy with the accuracy:)

I do get dehydrated quite often as well so will try to drink plenty of water and see if that helps any.

Again, thanks for the replies and I really hope this works out for me as I'm a very private diabetic (silly I know) and this device I thought would really help me.

I'll soldier on anyway and keep you posted on how it goes with all my fingers crossed
Leaving it a a bit before activating is definitely worth it for me, and ensuring you are adequately hydrated is a must; especially bearing in think the sensor measure from interstitial fluid.

As I mentioned, I have had a few sensors replaced, but the overall benefits have definitely outweighs the frustration for me.

Fingers crossed for you.

Mei_lahn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Abbott recommended skintac to me. But my DSN suggested another similar product that users have had success with I will try to find that piece of paper and post again. Definitely contact Abbott customer services as they will replace first couple of sensors if you have such issues. Make sure you keep the sensor to send back in their prepaid envelopes. I thought some are better than others so not sure it's only our body/skin conditions. 2 of mine came off and I think they were faulty as they were coming away from the patch itself so not just my skin...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have had the "wait 10 mins to scan" message twice. Both times after waking. I put it down to this but both times it came back to life ok.

I have huge intolerance to cannulas going in my skin-anywhere on my body, whether steel or plastic ones. I have not had any problems other than those two odd "waking" error messages. It has pleasantly surprised me.

I am due to get a medtronic guardian cgm funded for 3 months as soon as they are available from 1st Dec.just have to wait for the training to be organised.

This will be readable to my phone, which will be great (one less thing to carry round) and is realtime and meant to be more reasonably priced.
I am just a little worried that it will fail in my stomach because my stomach cannulas always failed there. However only having one useable arm for libre and stabbing I need it to work stuck to my stomach.

I always put the libre in my arm 24 hours before the old one dies.

Rickster55446

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I contacted Abbott who at first were not prepared to replace my replacement sensor due to me being on the trial. However I expressed how it is not a very good trial if both sensors I've used have given me issues and after a little bit of persuasion the chap on the phone agreed :) they also suggested that if the next sensor gives me the same problems then they would replace the reader. I've got a sensor I paid for on my arm now and will leave it there for 24/48 hours before I activate it. Also I'm trying the other arm this time. I've been drinking lots of water too so hopefully I'll get some results!

Another thing I've noticed is the sensor captures data while I'm asleep without any problems (which is good because it has been telling me I go low around 2/3am and otherwise I would have no idea) just during the day it seems to act up

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
May I ask where exactly on your arm you are putting it? I'm on my third sensor, and the first two were absolutely fine, but the third one has given me that error twice, and I've put it slightly lower down on my arm than where the previous two were, so I have to be careful with the angle at which I scan it. It's also the first time I've had any pain from it. And to repeat what has been said above, I do find the accuracy goes off a bit on the last two days or so of the sensor. :)

Last edited: